Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension compressor failed -- front end of car might be too low to drive. Any way to raise it??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm experiencing "air suspension compressor disabled -- vehicle unable to raise". (Error code TAS-a217) I'm reasonably certain the compressor has failed: I took the tub out, and then when turning the car on (brake pedal) I was able to see/feel that the loud grinding/rattling noise was indeed coming from the compressor (which then shut off after ~10 seconds).

The front end of the car is very low. (However the rear end is still in normal position, which strikes me as odd.) I'm trying to work out the best way to get the car to the service center. Driving it doesn't seem like a great choice; if I hit bumps, it's a real jolt to the car (with little/no air in the front suspension struts). But getting it onto a flatbed is going to be a challenge as well: the angle will mean some severe scraping underneath at the front.

Is there perhaps some "hack" that would enable me to get the front end up (even temporarily)? I did find a youtube video where a guy does it (link) -- but I can't work out what he is doing, and I don't think I could replicate it even if I could figure it out.

I'll be grateful for any insight...

u did find the right video, that guy knows whats he doing
u need a breakout harness made for operating the solenoids or any other way to supply power
Thanks for your reply.

The obstacle I face is that the video doesn't show enough detail: where would I connect an external compressor, & with what sort of fitting? How do I work out where to connect power (with a switch) to open the right valve? I don't yet have the background knowledge to do it. In general I have the confidence to do this sort of thing, but I also know what I don't know here...

This is an interesting webpage re the valve block: Everything you need to know about air suspension solenoid valve block

Suggestion: try swapping the air lines (front to back and vice-versa?).

The reason this idea might have potential is that the rear of the car is still at the right height. If I swap the lines, perhaps the front will rise?

My main concern about trying this is that if I remove air lines while there is still pressure in the system, I can imagine difficulties, perhaps even injury. I've taken the cap off the schroder valve on the tank and there is indeed some pressure that gets released when I press the center post.