Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airbag Malfunction Warning & Adaptive Cruise Control Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a nice couple of weeks after taking delivery, I'm faced with my first bugs/issues! I'm hoping this doesn't spiral into more but they seem relatively minor for now.

Bug/Issue #1: Adaptive Cruise Control - There have been a couple instances where ACC is on and I'm on a clear stretch of highway with very few vehicles around me and the ACC will just suddenly slow down/brake with no apparent obstructions around me. There were no warnings either but I was able to retake control of the vehicle and avoid any accidents. Makes me kind of nervous to use that feature now. Autopilot hasn't had any issues as of yet.

Bug/Issue #2: Airbag Malfunction Warning/Passenger Side Occupancy False Alert - Starting today, on the instrument cluster, I was getting a warning that the passenger side wasn't buckled in; however, there wasn't anyone in the car but me. When I picked up my passenger, the warning went away; however, on the IC, the symbol for Airbag Malfunction appeared. I contacted Tesla about this issue and I'm scheduled to bring it in for service next week. At first, they said it might be a display glitch so we tried resetting the vehicle in 3 different ways--none of which cleared the issue.

I forgot to mention the ACC issue while on the phone with them and will talk to them today to see what they think.

Anyone else having these issues?

My software/firmware version is 2018.32.4 040c866

EDIT: As an add - the 2nd method we attempted to reset the vehicle did not work which was to press and hold simultaneously the buttons above the scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

Last edited:
EDIT: As an add - the 2nd method we attempted to reset the vehicle did not work which was to press and hold simultaneously the buttons above the scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

I think this is because you have the new MCU2 and therefore, both screens will reset with the first method as they are now operated by the same cpu. So it is normal that the second reset will not work as it is design for older MCU1 and meant to reset only the instrument panel behind the steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Kacey Green
UPDATE: So when this first happened, I immediately scheduled a service appointment. The issue was resolved quickly as it was just a loose connection according to them.

Unfortunately, a few weeks later, the same issue has happened again.

Luckily this has been my only problem so far but it's annoying that it's happening again.

Sorry to hear about the reoccurrence, perhaps they just snugged up the connection last time when they should have replaced the connectors. Regarding the "phantom braking" (quotes because sometimes it's only regen and not brake pedal), it is more common for me in the last few updates than it had been for a while. When I got my X a bit over a year ago, there were spots on a fairly new Interstate where it would show the speed limit was 70 but still drive below 45 for a period of time after phantom braking, and even more spots where it would phantom brake, but then quickly recover. This was in spite of the fact that it knew the road existed and allowed auto lane change on it. All of those spots were definitely resolved the last time I drove on that Interstate (possibly only a single update ago, but I believe they were resolved in updates prior to that as well). However, a few updates ago I started seeing phantom braking on my daily commute in places where I've never seen it before and hearing the brake pedal drop each time. That seems to be getting worse with each update (up to and including v9, which added auto lane change to this particular divided highway with cross traffic), so while I'm hopeful the phantom braking issue will be resolved over time, all I can recommend is that you keep your foot at the ready for using the accelerator as your override and keep in mind that you don't want to automatically hit it when the car starts slowing down if there really is a reason for it to do so.