Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airplane mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
This is something of an off-the-wall theoretical question, but is there a way to turn off the car's built in 3G cellular radio?

As long as the service is free, I'm not sure there's an obvious reason to for most people, but I was curious...
Walter

This is something of an off-the-wall theoretical question, but is there a way to turn off the car's built in 3G cellular radio?

As long as the service is free, I'm not sure there's an obvious reason to for most people, but I was curious...
Walter

There isn't, to the user. Until recently here in Norway the 3G/GSM-data would loose connection and not come back until after a big screen reset, but since the last firmware update this hasn't happened for weeks. I could see a setting where the user would want to turn it off, but no there is no way to do that other than of course if you plug in a jamming device in the 12V socket :)

There isn't, to the user. Until recently here in Norway the 3G/GSM-data would loose connection and not come back until after a big screen reset, but since the last firmware update this hasn't happened for weeks. I could see a setting where the user would want to turn it off, but no there is no way to do that other than of course if you plug in a jamming device in the 12V socket :)

That seems rather radical. I would have thought you could at least pull a fuse, if it came to that...

- - - Updated - - -

I know we love the model S but take the car with you in an airplane for a trip seems too much :biggrin:.

Well, Amtrak has that Auto-train - which seems like an easy way to have a car at your vacation destination. But I suspect that airline might be a little unreasonable about the baggage fee... ;)
Walter

That seems rather radical. I would have thought you could at least pull a fuse, if it came to that...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Amtrak has that Auto-train - which seems like an easy way to have a car at your vacation destination. But I suspect that airline might be a little unreasonable about the baggage fee... ;)
Walter

I'm guessing it would be under fuse 51, but it would turn off the whole 17" screen...

456d9e52b9ee1f478493402ee1349fac.jpg

Wouldn't having it use a wifi hotspot turn off the 3g - thought it disables it while using wifi. You could rig up a cheap router to run off 12v and have it link to it, with router not hooked to internet the car should not be able to get info...