Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the end user place a Tesla Model Y into "Service mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched through existing threads, and am not finding a clear answer to this:
Is "Service mode" something the end user can put the car into?

For example, I see videos on YouTube showing service mode information from the center panel on Teslas about the cooling system, with temperatures, pressures, flow rates, etc. Is this something an end user can get into?

I don't mean here "wiper service mode" or "tire change service mode". Looking for a more general mode where one can see the diagnostic menus and such that Tesla has built into the car to aid service of the vehicle.

Yes... in the videos you found on service mode, they probably tell you how to access it. Whether an end user is "supposed" to or not is a different thing, but its in the service manual I believe, and there are a bazillion videos on how to access it.

Here is one of those, but there are plenty of others:

Reactions: Kupe and A2be
Yes. Easy. Go to the vehicle menu on center screen. Go to the screen that has your model information. Press and hold the model of your vehicle for a couple seconds and release, when pop up screen comes up enter the word “service”. Voila!
Be careful not to change anything you shouldn’t. If you are not sure what it does then don’t mess with it.

Reactions: A2be and zoomer0056
For questions like this, I would recommend using something like bard.google.com, which says:

Yes, Tesla end users can put their cars into service mode. However, it is not recommended to do so unless you are familiar with the car's systems and know what you are doing. Service mode can disable certain safety features and systems, and it can also be dangerous if not used properly.
To put your Tesla into service mode, follow these steps:
  1. Go to the Controls screen.
  2. Tap Software.
  3. Hold down the Model name for a few seconds.
  4. Type in "service" and tap OK.
  5. Tap Enable to enter service mode.
Once you are in service mode, you will have access to a variety of diagnostic menus and tools. You can use these tools to view information about the car's systems, perform tests, and make adjustments.
To exit service mode, follow these steps:
  1. Tap the red Exit Service Mode button.
  2. Tap and hold the button for a few seconds.
Tesla recommends that you only use service mode if you are a trained technician or if you are working with a Tesla service representative.
Here are some of the things you can do in service mode:
  • View information about the car's systems, such as the battery, brakes, and suspension.
  • Perform tests on the car's systems.
  • Make adjustments to the car's settings.
  • Clear diagnostic codes.
  • Update the car's software.
If you are not familiar with the car's systems or if you are not sure what you are doing, it is best to leave service mode to the professionals.

@A2be , by now you've read replies to your question above and have figured it out. What is your interest in service mode?
I have two interests.

1) a current-in-time interest to better learn how the energy of the battery is used to keep the car & its systems at whatever temperatures under various conditions, particularly the winter time conditions that are coming for the northern hemisphere. I'm an engineer, with background in design of embedded hardware (hardware + firmware code) and HVAC systems: so thermodynamics and energy are particular interests. I've just never taken the time to go after this detailed knowledge for the three Tesla's I've owned.

2) a more general #learning interest to get an answer to the question clearly posted on TMC Forum for all TMC people going forward. I was really quite surprised that this answer was not already easily searchable on TMC, and that the threads that did come up did not seem to contain a clear answer in the (often) long (& wandering) discussions. Now, it is! The Answer in this thread, including the cautionary warning about the Service Menu giving one the power to screw things up badly, just as it should be so warned..

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Have you tried some of the apps that pull data (Tessie, teslafi). I have no had the itch to delve that deep, but it would seem you would be able to pull droves of info in manipulative format vs looking at the screen. Speculation on my part, but I am betting service mode won't give you the visibility on some of the algorithms used (e.g. how long does conditioning take and what variables impact it).

If you have the heat pump, be sure to watch the WeberAuto youtube on it. It's pretty amazing, that thing sucks up just about every watt of waste heat on the vehicle.