Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AL Priority & Net Radar Laser Install on Plaid or LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@cmarshack how reliable is the Bluetooth connection and use of the app on your phone? I am getting ready to install the ALP in my wife’s Rivian and not sure how easy it will be to enter the cabin area from the Frunk space (always the hardest part) considered the Connect Module but heard it is not reliable (always connecting) and has some lag.

I always pull up my ALP app and set my phone on the wireless charger when I get in the car. The connection is not perfect and sometimes I have to close the app and reopen it to connect to my ALP, but for me it's workable and I still do not feel the need to install the speaker in the car.

As for lag, I have no way of measuring the actual lag but I don't think it's an issue, at least not for me. For one, I have been running this system for almost 5 years now and the only times I have been hit with Lidar, the LEO was also running their Ka Radar, so I was alerted by Ka long before he hit me with Lidar, and I had already slowed down.

Also, just because the alert to my phone may have lag, the jamming will be immediate so the LEO will not pick up a speed. Losing maybe .5 second to slow down a bit with a 4 second LID time set, I will still have 3 second to scrub some speed. Again, for me I don't think it will be an issue.

I do plan to run the LED light up to my dash, so that will provide instant visual notification. Once I install that, I will be able to tell if there is any material delay when I pick up the next Ka LEO.

Also, I will add that the speaker on the phone itself (I can only speak for the Android App) alerts at full volume, even if you are streaming audio to your car via Spotify or some other streaming app. There IS a delay from when you hear the alert on the Phone speaker to when it mutes the audio and then plays through the car speakers. If an iPhone does not allow for this type of alerting, then you may experience a slightly longer delay than when using an Android.

Bottom line is that Bluetooth is a very easy install, but has some drawbacks. For me it is perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robotpedlr