Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The base price is 170k, different market.

I've done a couple California north/south passes and San Diego to Miami east/west trips in a P85D and M3P. Range being the number 1 criteria, this is a no brainer. Available today - Model S for 90k, 400 mile range, superchargers.

At least Lucid seems legit, and, will help to achieve Tesla's mission.

Lucid won't be a threat to Tesla, though Lucid and Tesla will rank among those set to be a threat to ICE. Each will get their piece of the automotive pie, taking away from the trough legacy OEMs have been feeding at for a century.

I think we need to see an ev based on its entire ecosystem than to just base the competition on specs. This is like thinking the jaguar 64 being 64bit crushing the Playstation when ps had the game development prowess.

So it's about the number of service centers, supercharging network, software updates, and reliability. One lucid car fire will end the company as in the current ev space Tesla is the gold standard and people have very little patience to put up with issues unlike Tesla back 10 years ago in which early adopters were in it for an idea/cause.

So there's a pretty steep risk factor people need to overcome when going with startups so therefore I think most of them will fail and Legacy can afford to have many F ups when they have the government in their back pockets and ICE to generate cash flow.

this is the only specs that I found:

View attachment 701190

wow Lucid is going with some really skinny tires trying to get the most range when compared to the Model S front 255's and 285 and 295's rear.

When did Tesla increase the size on the Model S tires?

Father-in-Law took delivery of a Long Range S last December and the tires were 245 front / 265 rear. Plaid might be different, haven't seen one of those in person.

Looking for folks out in California to comment on this. Here in the Midwest we set the “cruise control“ at 75-80 mph. My road trips with the S or Y the set speed is nearly always 75+ mph. Is this what a $170K owner would do in CA and set speed to 67mph?
Since my good friend does automotive reviews and knowing the industry, all I see is a BS writer sucking up to advertising dollars and exclusive contents. I maybe biased and sensitive but wow endless Tesla jabs.
3A0B38F9-92A9-4FDD-8F8D-02C2DE288457.jpeg

Looking for folks out in California to comment on this. Here in the Midwest we set the “cruise control“ at 75-80 mph. My road trips with the S or Y the set speed is nearly always 75+ mph. Is this what a $170K owner would do in CA and set speed to 67mph?
Since my good friend does automotive reviews and knowing the industry, all I see is a BS writer sucking up to advertising dollars and exclusive contents. I maybe biased and sensitive but wow endless Tesla jabs.
View attachment 701266

Also.........if I remember right MotorTrend got to do a similar drive with the new S. Which they drove the S well over 70 mph for practically the entire trip and kept the AC well below 70 degree. And yet they arrived to their destination with some juice left that essentially put the S at around 425 mile range I think.

Last edited:
View attachment 701266
Ha...talk speed and range...then set that cruise speed?
Something smells.

View attachment 701266
Assuming they actually achieve 67 mph average driving LA to San Francisco that is still like 5 and 1/4 hours. It truly is luxury to drive that long peeing in a bottle. I dont know about you starting at 7AM for a long road trip. I have a good amount of coffee (Venti) and I know I will be "returning" it in a couple hours. I wonder if this is included or an option with the Lucid.
1629920207672.png

View attachment 701266

I am biased, but those things look already obsolete. What a monstrosity!

Reactions: FlamingPIG and t153
View attachment 701266

This car passing semi's by 2mph on two-lane I-5 between LA and SF will absolutely get run off the road for trolling and blocking all the passenger cars.

View attachment 701266

That wouldn’t be the route anyone would take to do a haul up to SF from LA; you’d take the 5 where the average speed is somewhere around 80 or 85 MPH.

The route motor trend took was definitely chosen for impressive range figures and the ability to drive that slowly.

Assuming they actually achieve 67 mph average driving LA to San Francisco that is still like 5 and 1/4 hours. It truly is luxury to drive that long peeing in a bottle. I dont know about you starting at 7AM for a long road trip. I have a good amount of coffee (Venti) and I know I will be "returning" it in a couple hours. I wonder if this is included or an option with the Lucid.
View attachment 701275
I used plenty of those when I spent 5 months in traction when I broke my leg...

• Funny
Reactions: Unpilot
The base price is 170k, different market.

I've done a couple California north/south passes and San Diego to Miami east/west trips in a P85D and M3P. Range being the number 1 criteria, this is a no brainer. Available today - Model S for 90k, 400 mile range, superchargers.
I would argue this is the same market. Those who has the money on a 140k Model S has the money for a Taycan or a Lucid.

I talked to someone who preordered a Lucid. I was like "where are you going to pick this car up? Miami?..an dhow are you going to service this car?". He said "I'll have enough money that if it needs servicing I'll just toss the car".

Yes, this will cause much angst and worry. But only if you are a traditional OEM, Lucid could hasten their demise. Well, that is if they have the financial strength to produce the Air in significant numbers which is far from a given.

This is a net benefit to Tesla, even if Lucid struggles to make these profitably. How is that? Look what Lucid got Motortrend to say:

"Also, remember range anxiety? As with the internal combustion engine, it's a thing of the past."

This is a win for the planet and a win for Tesla.

I am biased, but those things look already obsolete. What a monstrosity!

You must not like $170K EV Buicks. That's what it looks like to me, like someone put lipstick on a Buick from a couple of decades ago. The only reason I think they won't have a demand problem is I don't think they will be able to make them in large enough numbers to discover what the demand limit actually is, even at $170K.

Last edited: