Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a longer review:

Why Lucid Motors’ all-electric first car is absolutely a threat to Tesla and other luxury carmakers.​

A few buyers will choose the Lucid Air over the S, but Lucid is absolutely not a threat to Tesla.

You must not like $170K EV Buicks. That's what it looks like to me, like someone put lipstick on a Buick from a couple of decades ago. The only reason I think they won't have a demand problem is I don't think they will be able to make them in large enough numbers to discover what the demand limit actually is, even at $170K.
Totally agree! It is absolutely hideous! Everything from the stupid two-tone color scheme to the rear and the front ends, in fact, it doesn't even look good from a profile angle with these weird lines on the lower bumper. And talk about odd panel gaps :eek: The only thing that looks nice, IMO, is the line and indentation on the doors that give it that wide body look.

"Money cannot buy taste" is certainly true in the case of this thing.

1629926920467.png

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
You must not like $170K EV Buicks. That's what it looks like to me, like someone put lipstick on a Buick from a couple of decades ago. The only reason I think they won't have a demand problem is I don't think they will be able to make them in large enough numbers to discover what the demand limit actually is, even at $170K.

Until Tesla makes enough cars to have a demand problem no halfway competent EV will have a demand problem.

This part is funny:

He feels strongly that the key to electric cars is the miniaturization of their parts. The rear motor of the Model S Long Range weighs 295 pounds and produces 430 horsepower, for a power density of 1.46 hp per pound. The Air uses the same motor front and rear; each weighs 163 pounds yet makes 670 horsepower (and spins at 20,000 rpm) for a power density of 4.11 hp per pound. That's nearly three times better. Also, unlike Tesla, Lucid bothered to put a proper interior in its car.

then

The Lucid Air is shockingly fast, with quick, well-weighted steering. It's hard to call anything exceeding 5,000 pounds a sports car (Lucid's saying around 5,050 pounds),

the Model Plaid is 284lbs lighter and the LR 489lbs. And again for $40k/$80k more it better come with some nice interior.

Reactions: mltv
the Model Plaid is 284lbs lighter and the LR 489lbs. And again for $40k/$80k more it better come with some nice interior.

And yet Lucid Air Range gets 4.57 miles per kWh ( or thereabouts subject to final EPA numbers) while Model S LR gets 4.05 miles per kWh. With a bigger heavier pack, all else being equal, the Air should be less efficient. You get ~112 more miles of range in the Range versions and ~79 miles more range in the Performance versions.

I also would like to see a headlight comparo driving at night.

But at the end of the day I don't think buyers of Model S and Air will be torn down the middle and looking at stat details to make a choice.

You buy into the Tesla way with yoke, no physical gear/direction shifter, no regen adjustment etc or you don't.

Last edited:
It seems like a great car, very impressed by it and the engineers who have worked on it. But not sure if they will be able to sell them profitably or that their organization will ever become profitable. I applaud the effort, but have a feeling in the end it will be a lot of wasted resources that will add upp to very little. Making a profitable auto manufacturer is really hard, and having Tesla and the Chinese as direct competition is not making it easier…
tesla is past their peak (I'm just being honest, here). and the chinese are nothing to worry about, in terms of significant innovation.

the american startups, otoh, show a lot of promise. (ob disc: I know engineers in most of them). the quality is as good or better than most of what tesla has working for them (again, this assumes tesla has lost most of its original brainpower and they've migrated to the newer startups). and as I've said before, whoever starts early, pays the most in terms of tech debt that they have to undo, later on. late comers can avoid those mistakes.

afaict, lucid has solid architecture and that will translate to more affordable cars, later. I wish they would start with affordable cars, sigh. but they'll get there, eventually, and by the time they do, their code will be more production ready.

Last edited:
And yet Lucid Air Range gets 4.57 miles per kWh ( or thereabouts subject to final EPA numbers) while Model S LR gets 4.05 miles per kWh. With a bigger heavier pack, all else being equal, the Air should be less efficient. You get ~112 more miles of range in the Range versions and ~79 miles more range in the Performance versions.

I also would like to see a headlight comparo driving at night.

But at the end of the day I don't think buyers of Model S and Air will be torn down the middle and looking at stat details to make a choice.

You buy into the Tesla way with yoke, no physical gear/direction shifter, no regen adjustment etc or you don't.

How about comparing the Plaid to the Lucid Air P? 3.96 miles per kwh vs 3.98 essentially the same with skinnier tires.

So the Lucid Air R only has 2 motors? Interesting.

Also.........if I remember right MotorTrend got to do a similar drive with the new S. Which they drove the S well over 70 mph for practically the entire trip and kept the AC well below 70 degree. And yet they arrived to their destination with some juice left that essentially put the S at around 425 mile range I think.
Your memory is good, but all your small errors are in the same direction :) Tesla told them to set the AC at 72 and keep the speed between 65-70. Author claims he drove faster, at least on parts of I-5. They went Fremont to SpaceX, 359 miles, in 6 hours 11 minutes. That's 58 mph average. 11% indicated SOC at the end for 403 miles implied range at that speed.

Air's 924 volt system will be able to charge at speeds in excess of 300 kW.

It will be also be compatible with a bi-directional home charging station to enable car-to-grid functionality, and a 19.2-kw onboard charger can regain up to 80 miles per hour on 240V AC—at 80 amps, on a 100-amp circuit, with a special Connected Home Charging system to be installed by Qmerit.

I still think the charging infrastructure is the real hidden gem. We all know that Tesla SuperChargers are considered A+

Who wants to charge their $170k Lucid next to a Chevy Bolt in the Walmart parking lot waiting for a cart to roll by and ding your car? (assuming the charger even works)

Tesla is opening up the Supercharger Network to all CCS vehicles next year. Just download the app and upload a CC number. Elon says they will have an elegant solution for adapters.

Who wants to charge a $130k-$150k Model S Plaid next to a $40k Model 3 SR+ in the middle of some mall somewhere?

Bigger chance someone vandalizes a Tesla at a Supercharger than a shopping cart hits an EV at EA America charger. Because the chargers are almost always at the back farthest away from entrance to Walmart/Target.

Tesla is opening up the Supercharger Network to all CCS vehicles next year. Just download the app and upload a CC number. Elon says they will have an elegant solution for adapters.

I haven’t heard how many stations will be opened up or have adapters. Like, only newly built ones? Only ones partly funded by subsidies? Every station? If pre-existing stations will be opened, how long will it take to get adapters (and labeling or signage for how non-Teslas should operate them) to all of them? I’m not yet sure the entire network will be opened up within the next year.

Who wants to charge a $130k-$150k Model S Plaid next to a $40k Model 3 SR+ in the middle of some mall somewhere?

Bigger chance someone vandalizes a Tesla at a Supercharger than a shopping cart hits an EV at EA America charger. Because the chargers are almost always at the back farthest away from entrance to Walmart/Target.
I would, Tesla Sentry mode FTW. Actually I would like it if there were more M3 SR around to get more angles/footage of the potential vandalize situation you mention.

Do Lucid vehicles even have this security video recording capability? 👀