Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All doors closed by themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We recently got the model x and are still learning how to use it. I am assuming we have overlooked something but I wanted to ask the community about what happened today. We just got back from a camping trip and had all the doors open to clean it. The doors had been open for quite some time, my husband was doing something by the trunk, and I was vacuuming the main area of the middle row. All of a sudden all the doors began to close. I had to jump into the car to avoid being hit by the falcon wing door. Neither of us had a key in our pocket or in the car. It was just inside the door to our house where it had been all along. Is there some autoclose mechanism that gets triggered after a time? The music was still playing so it didn’t seem like the car had turned off. Anyone had this happen before or know why this would happen?

Dog stepped on the FOB?

Someone used the app to close doors?

Your husband had the other FOB in his pocket and didn't know/tell you?

The bumper is right at my pocket level, so I end up clicking it often and having the tailgate come down on my head. Several times my doors have stayed open for days in my garage. Other times I haven't been able to open doors, so I know where I keep my FOBs is too far to keep it unlocked. If there is a time out, it's an option I've never activated nor even seen.

Dog stepped on the FOB?

Someone used the app to close doors?

Your husband had the other FOB in his pocket and didn't know/tell you?

The bumper is right at my pocket level, so I end up clicking it often and having the tailgate come down on my head. Several times my doors have stayed open for days in my garage. Other times I haven't been able to open doors, so I know where I keep my FOBs is too far to keep it unlocked. If there is a time out, it's an option I've never activated nor even seen.
Agreed. I've had the doors open for long times. I think I had a FWD open overnight be accident a few time so I've never run into a timer either. I have very often bumped a fob to invoke All Close. Maybe someone was cleaning the touch screen?

Make sure you have triple click to close all doors on. I THINK that is the fault behavior, and it changes when you enable automatic doors in the settings, though it could be the other way around.

Anyway, you don't want the 1 press to close all. Key gets bumped all the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
there's only 2 ways to "close all". either in car on screen or 1 or 3 tap on top of fob. phone app does not control door opening/closing, only unlock/lock or open/close trunk, open frunk. also, no timer to auto shut everything. someone probably accidentally hit the fob. i used to bump the fob all the time so changed to 3 times to avoid accidentally closing all at once.

Since they just added the new feature to short toot the horn when the fob keys get pressed, I now realize just how truly horrible the key fob design is. Just the very slightest bump and the fob sends a signal. I would like to find the person who designed that cute little fob, tie a hundred of them together, and flog that idiot with the fobs. Most other fobs have recessed buttons to avoid unintentional clicks, but not the Model X fob. It is truly the absolute worst fob design imaginable. Cuteness over function: great idea (not)!

You definitely want to turn off any one clock functions on the fob. Even with triple click, it is easy to accidentally triple click and close the doors. I know you said the fob was not in your pocket. It is so sensitive that even the slightest jar can become a click. Both our fobs are this screwed up. Sure would like to be able to buy a replacement fob with actual recessed buttons...

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl
Since they just added the new feature to short toot the horn when the fob keys get pressed, I now realize just how truly horrible the key fob design is. Just the very slightest bump and the fob sends a signal. I would like to find the person who designed that cute little fob, tie a hundred of them together, and flog that idiot with the fobs. Most other fobs have recessed buttons to avoid unintentional clicks, but not the Model X fob. It is truly the absolute worst fob design imaginable. Cuteness over function: great idea (not)!
Tesla is not alone. The alarm fob for my house tends to press the alarm button when I bend over. It's a problem with many fobs. The Tesla one has actually not caused problems for me since they removed the rolling down all four windows at once behaviour.

Aside from the 2 obvious options: keyfob accidentally touched, or the fob was far enough from the vehicle it autolocked.

There is a 3rd possibility:
personally since the last update, my doors have randomly closed twice. Luckily both times it was after entering the vehicle. This is an issue i hope there working on.