Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All else equal is a 4yr CPO P85D vs. 4yr CPO 85D worth an extra $6,000?

All else equal is a 4yr CPO P85D vs a. 4yr CPO 85D worth an extra $6,000?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is worth it unless you are more interested in minimizing the cost of purchase. The P85D I owned was one of the best cars I've ever had. The 85Ds that I drove were appliances in comparison. I care about performance, though, and my P85D was a "plus", which may have made the case more compelling.

Good input and questions, here are my thoughts:

I'm a big car guy. My last two cars have been a Benz SL55 and E55 AMGs (500hp/500tq ish) - I enjoy high horsepower/torque cars, but I also value comfort when needed (hence why the P85D with + suspension I didn't consider an option, I live in SF where there the roads are bad and I also commute 60mi round trip). When I turo'd a 90D I loved the luxury feel and power.

I don't mind spending $6k more if it's worth it in terms of performance. The thing is all the research I've done has pointed me to the 85D now that they've been uncorked and when I learned about the roll out vs. non-roll out misleading numbers.

Lastly I test drove an 85D and P85D back to back and could not tell a difference in acceleration. Granted the P85D had 100mi left on charge, the 85D had 220mi left (again pointing me to the 85D..."if I can only feel the difference in performance of the P when it's fully charged I was thinking it's not worth it").

All that said one of your comments comparing the 85D to a appliance made me laugh and has got me second guessing. lol

over 35mph... interesting. That's why some call it a parlor trick I guess. I've heard even with Ludi it's hard to tell the difference in mid-range power, and further if you want more power in that range you gotta go with the 100 battery pack--all fine and good but not worth it to me at this point as we're talking over $40k more.

Above 35 mph, it is difficult to tell the difference between a P85D and an 85D, unless you have a ludicrous model.
The hard launch from a stop is what you’re paying the extra money for.

Is there a thread or article that goes over exactly this? specifically that ludicrous pulls harder over 35mph vs. the others? I feel like I've read from owners on here just the opposite, however Tesla/Musk say what you stated--ludi makes extends the power band... thanks

Good input and questions, here are my thoughts:

I'm a big car guy. My last two cars have been a Benz SL55 and E55 AMGs (500hp/500tq ish) - I enjoy high horsepower/torque cars, but I also value comfort when needed (hence why the P85D with + suspension I didn't consider an option, I live in SF where there the roads are bad and I also commute 60mi round trip). When I turo'd a 90D I loved the luxury feel and power.

I don't mind spending $6k more if it's worth it in terms of performance. The thing is all the research I've done has pointed me to the 85D now that they've been uncorked and when I learned about the roll out vs. non-roll out misleading numbers.

Lastly I test drove an 85D and P85D back to back and could not tell a difference in acceleration. Granted the P85D had 100mi left on charge, the 85D had 220mi left (again pointing me to the 85D..."if I can only feel the difference in performance of the P when it's fully charged I was thinking it's not worth it").

All that said one of your comments comparing the 85D to a appliance made me laugh and has got me second guessing. lol

A few things...we also were in the Bay Area when we owned our P85D.

When Musk first introduced the P85D we placed our reservation that night, then found out the car was originally not offering the 19" wheels. So we called our service adviser to cancel the order, as the 21" simply would have been more hassle than it was worth. Service adviser told us that they were already hearing the complaint a lot and were about to open up 19" wheels, which they did (this was back when Tesla was very responsive). The point being that there are 19" P85D+s out there.

Second, at least when we owned the P85D, when you wanted insane mode, you had to be at a stop and then stomp HARD and fast on the go pedal. That gave you a launch.

Reactions: tubaprde
Mines a P85D I bought as a CPO, I had no real interest in the 'P' aspect when shopping, I didnt even want a D because I thought the bigger frunk would come in useful. But when buying second hand you have to take what you can find to a certain extent. Mine is also the only Tesla I have ever driven so please take my advise knowing my experience consists of a sample of 1.......

So if I bought again I would definitely need the P. If it was just a normal car I would not care, but it's a Model S so it's super cool being a bit more special. Just knowing it can dump those extra kW into the motors makes you grin as you drive. You don't have to use them, they are just waiting there silently under your right foot.

Tubaprde, if you are a 'car guy', you don't just want the P, you need the P.

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
As I look to verify whether Tesla has dumped the larger rear motor, for everything but the Ludicrous car, I'd say 'Yes'. Right now, all I see on the website is their contrast of motor graphics for regular and 'Performance..with Lud". So, to get 2.4 to 60mph you obviously need it, but I am not so sure about 3.0 not being possible with the smaller motor front/back and the better 30-60mph performance the 100KWh are capable of. I would welcome a definitive answer?

Otherwise, the above is important. P85D loses edge with lost SOC. It is one of few Tesla's whose mechanicals couldn't be outrun by the battery's output (IOW, "battery limited"). That means voltage drop (from charge loss) and performance drop happen more simultaneously. This won't stop folks from charging up for a good time, but is part of the reality of when you will/and won't feel like you've got something special.

Lastly, there's hope for putting a 100KWh battery in a P85D. WK057 has done it.

As I look to verify whether Tesla has dumped the larger rear motor, for everything but the Ludicrous car, I'd say 'Yes'. Right now, all I see on the website is their contrast of motor graphics for regular and 'Performance..with Lud". So, to get 2.4 to 60mph you obviously need it, but I am not so sure about 3.0 not being possible with the smaller motor front/back and the better 30-60mph performance the 100KWh are capable of. I would welcome a definitive answer?

Otherwise, the above is important. P85D loses edge with lost SOC. It is one of few Tesla's whose mechanicals couldn't be outrun by the battery's output (IOW, "battery limited"). That means voltage drop (from charge loss) and performance drop happen more simultaneously. This won't stop folks from charging up for a good time, but is part of the reality of when you will/and won't feel like you've got something special.

Lastly, there's hope for putting a 100KWh battery in a P85D. WK057 has done it.

Hmmm ok. Is there not hope for putting a 100kw into an 85D sometime in the future? Serious question

Curios as to what you all think? I'm thinking it's not, but you can try to convince me otherwise!
I just went through exactly this exercise, trying to decide between the 85D and P85D. To my mind, the difference between 0-60 times was inconsequential because they both are quite good. I'm not doing drag races or such, where I want power is for passing at highway speeds. Knowing that these cars have great low end power, but roll off at higher speeds made me wonder if the P85D would be appreciably faster than the 85D at highway passing. So a friend and I went and test drove one of each. Got both cars on the highway, took them (individually) to 50, and then timed the acceleration to 70. My approximate timing of 50 to 70 was 3.5 for the 85D and 3.0 for the P. Not a terribly accurate method I know, but it gives an order of magnitude comparison, FWIW. I just put my deposit down on a P, anxiously awaiting the arrival!

Lastly, there's hope for putting a 100KWh battery in a P85D. WK057 has done it.[/QUOTE]

How? I’ve been complaining about mine to them and they say it’s fine. It feels like my battery isn’t up to par.

I have a p85D and first Tesla. I test drive the brand new 75D for servicing and what I can say is. It drives way nicer maybe because new. The acceleration around town is the same, but the launch you can feel tad slower vs the INSANE mode. But if I did it all over again I would go for a new 100D since the 75D doesn’t have air ride.

My personal opinion.... get the P. That’s what I have and carefully studied this before I bought mine but that’s if you are into performance cars. Years from now, you’d never wonder how it is to have this car with the larger rear motor and inverter. Yes, it’s just 0.8 seconds faster but that’s huge. Same spread between the Insane P85D and Ludicrous P100D. You can feel the difference, no doubt, from stop. I rarely use it but just knowing that it’s there means a lot to me. I drive safer now because I think it’s pointless to race another car knowing that the P would simply jump far ahead instantly and is simply a waste of electrons (and keep my stuff from flying inside the car). You will have to size up yourself first and get the model that fits you. The $6,000 price difference to me is small compared to the $20,000 difference when brand new. With the P, you are in the supercar quick territory. So, $6,000 is really a cheap price to pay if you value that space. The insurance on the P is also higher. If I buy again, it would still be no less than a P.

Reactions: Benjanos
Thanks everyone... The feedback here was phenomenal and the voting speaks for itself..

I'm now second guessing the 85D and looking to purchase a p90DL....I've also done more research on this forum which has been extremely helpful.

big turnaround I know, but hey I'm a huge car guy so I might as well fork over the extra cash to get a top of the line version.

Now I wonder if a "v1" battery will be "OK"... that's what seems to be available on cpo's these days... I plan on super charging my car twice per week since there’s a station across the steet from my work. Do you know if all 90s are throttled have larger degregation if the battery is super charged often?

Last edited:
Update: I put a deposit on a P85DL private party and I think I’m getting a great deal! Thank you all for convincing me to go big! I even went a little bigger as I’m getting one with ludicrous!! Also avoiding 90 battery pack issues by getting 85 pack.

$53,300
Tesla extended to Jan. 2023
51k miles
Loaded with every option minus cold weather
No accidents, 2 owners
HOV sticker good for two more years
18” oem, 80% tread on Michelins
**Seller bought from dealer but claims to have purchased extended warranty through Tesla - I’m verifying this as I guess this would have to have meant that the selling dealer never took it into inventory**

Last edited:
Update: I put a deposit on a P85DL private party and I think I’m getting a great deal! Thank you all for convincing me to go big! I even went a little bigger as I’m getting one with ludicrous!! Also avoiding 90 battery pack issues by getting 85 pack.

$53,300
Tesla extended to Jan. 2023
51k miles
Loaded with every option minus cold weather
No accidents, 2 owners
HOV sticker good for two more years
18” oem, 80% tread on Michelins
**Seller bought from dealer but claims to have purchased extended warranty through Tesla - I’m verifying this as I guess this would have to have meant that the selling dealer never took it into inventory**

Nice!

Looks like you found a great deal. I hope it works out for you.

I’ll go ahead and give my two cents In case anyone is interested...

I have a P85D. I love it. Over the years, I’ve had many loaner Tesla cars. Every one of them felt different. Tesla is always changing. Newer cars seem to drive better than older cars.

A “P” car isn’t just quicker accelerating, it handles much better too. Some of the older plain old S cars were pretty terrible to drive. They felt like old domestic sedans. Loose and sloppy around corners. My P85D feels like an expensive luxury sedan, and the air suspension softens the ride a bit so it’s not harsh. Mine does have the low profile tires, and I do feel every crack in the road, but overall, it’s a smooth ride.

I really feel like I can toss that big heavy beast around like it’s a sports car. See here:

I hope you have as much fun with yours as I do mine.

~Jay

Reactions: beefster