Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can do is just laugh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't do this, your car may not start in the evening when you leave work.

Back in the 70's that makes sense. Now that block heaters and remote starts are common, the reason I keep a spare fob in my pocket when it's -30C out, is because I'm afraid of being locked out. I also keep a tin coffee can and candles when I head out to my cabin in those conditions since you never know what can happen...

Stuck in a blizzard? Here's an inexpensive emergency heating system

Really this is funny, if you live in an area though thats prone to snow, you learn real quick what you must do before you open anything. We are getting down to it now, some real subject matter of great importance to Tesla owners and buyers.

Defective product, got snow inside my car, because the Automatic Snow Clearing was broken.

These Model 3s are so "perfect" now we are making up stories to keep the readers engaged? Keep it coming.

Pick-up drivers here leave snow in the bed because it helps the handling. Apparently. I think it's because they can't be bothered.

+1 on the brush across the back seat of my Prius.
There are two reasons:
1) the obvious reason: if the hatch has lots of snow on it, it's heavier, so harder to open.
2) the other reason: I have a 2010 II, with only driver-door smart key. If there's snow, I'll have gloves on, and it's easier for me with gloves on to open the driver's door, close it, and then open the passenger door than it is to reach into my pocket and press the fob to unlock, and then open the hatch. (Or open the driver door, close it, then walk to the back of the car, and then open the hatch.) (Just because there's snow, doesn't mean there's ice, so I won't necessarily have to start the car to clear the windshields and rear window).

Remember the Model 3 has really good aerodynamics, and part of that is this sloping glass into the trunk part. It happens to me with rain a lot, but I really don't see how they could have done it differently except maybe have an oversized rubber seal at the top of the trunk that naturally pops up when you open the trunk.

... or done like Model S and made it a hatchback? Hinged at the top? strong cross member behind the headrests of the rear seats. Then put a window in the hatchback. Car could have had the same exact shape, no downside. In Europe (especially England) it's always raining. That's probably why hatchbacks are the most popular cars. Oh and hatchbacks are incredibly convenient!
In UK - still waiting for anything from Tesla to even configure my model 3 :(

Reactions: NeverFollow
Wow. So many victims on this board that don't understand gravity or unable to foresee the consequences of not first wiping the snow. I have a hard time believing it's a real issue, especially when you take the time to pull out your camera and compose a shot.

I imagine it got dislodged as the boot was opened - I doubt user expected it would shift and slide. People have phones on them. Taking a photo doesn't take long. If it's below freezing stopping to take a photo isn't going to delay shoveling it out before it melts and soaks the interior carpet. A hatchback liftgate like the S would prevent snow / rain sliding into the trunk. But about 3 years too late for any change there! Just having this type of boot won't be popular in Europe - lots of rain and snow.

If you work in an office with outdoor parking, say, and you're not planning on using your car during the day, you need to go down to the parking lot midday, start your car with one set of keys, lock the car, and go back to your office. After your car has been running a while and warmed up sufficiently, go back down and unlock the car with the second set of keys, shut the car off and remove the first set of keys from the ignition. If you don't do this, your car may not start in the evening when you leave work. Didn't need to do this everyday in winter, only on very cold days. But keeping the second set of keys with you just becomes a habit.
Yep I did the same thing for years when I worked where the garage didn’t have plugs for block/battery heaters. Well prior to having a remote start, with the remote I would walk over to where I had line of site and start it for 15 min 2 or 3 times a day.

Tell me again how much winter testing was done?

It snowed, went in the trunk to grab the broom, all the snow on the trunk and some of the rear glass promptly and comically slid into the trunk. People passing by must have been wondering why I’m shoveling snow OUT the car.

Yes, when at home, you have to store your broom NOT in the trunk. At work, it is more of a challenge. I leave mine in the passenger front foot well.

Tell me again how much winter testing was done?

It snowed, went in the trunk to grab the broom, all the snow on the trunk and some of the rear glass promptly and comically slid into the trunk. People passing by must have been wondering why I’m shoveling snow OUT the car.
I've noticed when I wash my TM3 (by hand at home, always), when I finish and open the trunk, there's always a lot of water that has somehow dripped inside. Yes, I have the trunk closed. Is that "normal"?

Reactions: APotatoGod
A brush doesn't fit in the frunk? That's where it's kept in the X. All other cars a brush is always behind passenger seat. This way i can easily grab it.... And yes, snow in trunk or on seats as you open door is normal. Like someone else posted quick wipe with gloved hand or jacket sleeve and it's off.

Reactions: BluestarE3
I wonder how many people will ask what is the sand bag for? :)

PS Hint: That is the answer for the guy who spent two hours trying to move a quarter of a mile.
Or the gargantuan diesel truck that got stuck in 8” of snow plow debris across the street yesterday. Idiot with 4WD, but no shovel, chains, or sandbags. I thought about leaving him alone, but then the stink wafted across the street.

... or done like Model S and made it a hatchback? Hinged at the top? strong cross member behind the headrests of the rear seats. Then put a window in the hatchback. Car could have had the same exact shape, no downside.

Yes, they could have done that but then it wouldn't be a Sedan or a Model 3. But please feel free to start your own car company and build cars you like. If you're really good at it maybe you will create some top sellers like the Model 3.

BTW, the Model 3 can be lighter and stronger than a hatchback which means it can withstand a harder rear impact while keeping the rear seat passengers safe while being lighter and getting a bit more range because of it. It's incorrect to say there is no downside to the hatchback style.

In Europe (especially England) it's always raining. That's probably why hatchbacks are the most popular cars.

I would say the reason hatchbacks are most popular in Europe has nothing to do with rain and everything to do with being able to transport larger items in a smaller car. Many European families do not have a truck or even a large car.