Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can do is just laugh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you work in an office with outdoor parking, say, and you're not planning on using your car during the day, you need to go down to the parking lot midday, start your car with one set of keys, lock the car, and go back to your office. After your car has been running a while and warmed up sufficiently, go back down and unlock the car with the second set of keys, shut the car off and remove the first set of keys from the ignition. If you don't do this, your car may not start in the evening when you leave work. Didn't need to do this everyday in winter, only on very cold days. But keeping the second set of keys with you just becomes a habit.
Once upon a time there were cars that came with two different keys, one for the car and the other for the door which allowed you to do that dance with one set of keys. Either take one off the key ring while doing it, or I had a key ring that was actually 2 rings with a quick-connect between them.

For example, at one point GMs one of the two keys had a round key head and the other a square, to help you tell them apart. The square matched with the gap between the wings on the ignition mechanism, the round one was for the door and trunk locks.

It's been a few decades since any manufacturer has keyed separate locks like that though, AFAIK.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: puckpurnell
It is a revelation to me how many purchasers of $50k + cars do not have usable garages. I'm over 80 and a middle class person who grew up in NJ and I can only remember 2 1/2 years when I did not have a garage. If you're a city person and never had garages the inclement weather procedures should be second nature to you.
You have the luxury of living up north. Come further south, and the majority of urban older homes and condos do not have garages. Most of them don't even have basements, because we don't have the ground freezing like you do. It's really hard to find a house with a garage here, unless you want to move to Stepfordville.

I was thinking about this issue. I keep some important stuff in my trunk that I wouldn't want to get wet.The snow isn't really that big of a deal as it's easy enough to just brush off before you open the trunk. But the rain, like in this video, is an issue. From that video it appears that the issue is that the water on the trunk lid runs down onto the window with enough volume that it creates a stream that's got enough speed to jump the rubber seal into the trunk. It seems like if the seal was just a bit bigger, or maybe had a slight sharp lip, it would deflect the water back into the runoff channel like it's suppose to.

Seems like the kind of thing that would be easy enough for someone in the 3rd part upgrades industry to make. Surprised no one has come up with something yet.

A Tesla is a thinking person's car. Some are just not well suited for ownership...

Precisely my sentiments, challenges that keep you actually engaged in the process which otherwise gets mundane. In an actual gasoline car the only thing left to shed the mundane is pressing the go pedal all the time, which these days we see as we travel, all the crazies getting fed up with driving. Imagine those folks behind the wheel of an electric car. I would stop driving perhaps as it would be too crazy.

Reactions: aerodyne
Precisely my sentiments, challenges that keep you actually engaged in the process which otherwise gets mundane. In an actual gasoline car the only thing left to shed the mundane is pressing the go pedal all the time, which these days we see as we travel, all the crazies getting fed up with driving. Imagine those folks behind the wheel of an electric car. I would stop driving perhaps as it would be too crazy.

Exactly! Sounds like you are familiar with California roads...

Tell me again how much winter testing was done?

It snowed, went in the trunk to grab the broom, all the snow on the trunk and some of the rear glass promptly and comically slid into the trunk. People passing by must have been wondering why I’m shoveling snow OUT the car.

Guessing most of the replies have never lived in an area with bad winters. Every Sedan I have EVER OWNED does this... Not a Tesla issue.

How about a Volkswagen?

Exactly! Sounds like you are familiar with California roads...

I was born and raised in the other half of CA, the south bay area in the Santa Cruz mountain region, I left 30 years ago for a quieter, gentler place. When I left really CA was not that bad in 1989. I'm still glad I left though, I miss some things, but I don't miss the cost of living and now all the people. Last time I was there in Yosemite, I swear I was in Manhattan, trash everywhere and 3and 4 abreast climbing trails to the falls.

When I got here it was 15 years behind CA from traffic standpoint and road rage. Now both places are really bad. We only have two highways here leading north. In a PreHurricane warning if it gets real bad, both highways are turned into contraflow all lanes including southbound head north. Its a sight.

I95 which is full of trucks and crazies from every walk of life and nation in the world, vacationers etc driving along in the rain with emergency flashers on and a whole host of never read the book on rules in their entire lives literally from every country in the world have "international drivers licenses", uh is that a thing?

The Florida Turnpike. which for all intense and purposes for many years most did not use because you had to stop and pay as you went along now solved electronically by Sunpass(if its not leaving your hand and you can't see it leave, its not that expensive) and for long stretches between cities is two lanes on either side. 80MPH+ traveling less than one car length between each car and pushing to get around to no avail really, just to repeat the the process all the way risking life and limb of everyone around.

Everyone travels in the left lane on both highways, they won't get over for anyone. Passing on the right is common place, swerving cars etc.

There are some states(I won't mention them) you cannot make legal right hand turns at traffic lights. Thats legal here. We have lots of those people holding up the show daily.

I still miss CA though.

Guessing most of the replies have never lived in an area with bad winters. Every Sedan I have EVER OWNED does this... Not a Tesla issue.

How about a Volkswagen?

To someone who feels threatened about just how superior the Model 3 is to any other car on the road in terms of price/performance/driving pleasure/cost of ownership EVERYTHING that can potentially be painted in a bad light is a Tesla issue. Because when a car has these kind of competitive advantages over all other passenger cars, the shotgun approach works best. Even if none of the things are true, the sheer number of stated negatives might be enough to dissuade an unknowledgeable potential purchaser. Of course the well-informed just laugh and go out and sign on the dotted line.

BTW, that's not a VW, it looks like a Mercury or Buick or something.

BTW, that's not a VW, it looks like a Mercury or Buick or something.

E589C023-5E87-4433-BCF7-B8A89D6F8FCA.png

Ego aside, that's OK! No one is smarter than all of us...

OK, I stand corrected. That is the ugliest VW I've ever seen! I think they "Americanized" it. Probably a brilliant move economically. I'm an American through and through but I guess I just don't get the American aesthetic. Which doesn't bother me a bit considering these are probably the same people who elected our current president. I don't know who those people are.

Reactions: aerodyne