Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All season tires install on my Plaid yesterday and A MAJOR RANGE INCREASE ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn you guys for being the voice of reason. I am on here to be told that the 21 are the cool and my choice was the right choice.

I just prefer the ride of the 21 (and look) over the 19. Anyone have the OEM 19 A/S they want to sell?

Damn you guys for being the voice of reason. I am on here to be told that the 21 are the cool and my choice was the right choice.

I just prefer the ride of the 21 (and look) over the 19. Anyone have the OEM 19 A/S they want to sell?
Eventually the 21” will be approved for 200mph. Keeping them because buying them outright cost 6500$
Someone sold 19” yesterday 500$ I just missed buying them.

4 285/35/20” seems wrong.
I know this has nothing to do with your original question but I cannot find the configuration on tsspottline website anymore.
I think the sent you 4 rear wheels.
When I placed the order with T Sportline and spoke to them they were very specific same size all around and the size I listed 285/35R20.
BTW I am getting the promised replacement wheel tomorrow and it will be installed Wednesday. I will explore the range issue with the service center.
I will post here what I find out. Maybe I will be able to do a speedo calibration check by the time I post again.
I am speculating here but the camera system likely can measure distance as the car travels. Since it knows the time and the distance it is possible it can correct for tire size changes to the speedometer reading.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going 285/35/20 as long at the tire does not rub in the front and the offset is correct. This tire is nearly the same circumference as the stock 19s 255/45/19 (.4% difference). There will be no adverse effects with speedo if you select the 19" wheel config in your vehicle. Now range, it will not be accurate due to the larger contact patch up and rolling resistance of the new tires. Like others have said switch to percentage and go crazy. Just notice on average how many miles you can go in 10% (with a buffer of course) and call it a day. Most modern vehicle will not have any issue until you get above 3% difference. If you want to be a bit closer you can swap to 255/40/20 which T-Sportline also offers yet with this tire you will not get much wheel/curb protection because the tire will be stretched a bit with the 20x10 wheel.

To be clear I do not have a refresh yet(Dec/Jan EDD) but have owned a 2020 MSP, 2021 MYP, and 2019/2020 M3P and have always had aftermarket wheels.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Eventually the 21” will be approved for 200mph. Keeping them because buying them outright cost 6500$
Someone sold 19” yesterday 500$ I just missed buying them.
Well at least according to Tire Rack
When the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y)in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

There is no higher speed rating than (Y) and that is what is on the Plaid Front: 265/35ZR21 (101Y) XL Rear: 295/30ZR21 (102Y) XL.

Well at least according to Tire Rack
When the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y)in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

There is no higher speed rating than (Y) and that is what is on the Plaid Front: 265/35ZR21 (101Y) XL Rear: 295/30ZR21 (102Y) XL.
I hope your right! If not ps2’s for everyone. Then I would have wished I just got the 19””

When I placed the order with T Sportline and spoke to them they were very specific same size all around and the size I listed 285/35R20.
BTW I am getting the promised replacement wheel tomorrow and it will be installed Wednesday. I will explore the range issue with the service center.
I will post here what I find out. Maybe I will be able to do a speedo calibration check by the time I post again.
I am speculating here but the camera system likely can measure distance as the car travels. Since it knows the time and the distance it is possible it can correct for tire size changes to the speedometer reading.
The car doesn’t do that.
you have the wrong tire size. I would have stuck to oem size.

The car doesn’t do that.
you have the wrong tire size. I would have stuck to oem size.

If going by overall diameter, that 20" size is fine - it matches the OEM 20" from Tesla.

If the vehicle is preprogrammed for a certain tire, even changing the tire (not the size) will cause the mileage display to be off. There will be a difference in range from summer to A/S tires due to compound.

Going from the OEM 21" to the Sportline 20" will have offsetting penalties. The narrower rear tires is more efficient. The lighter combo will be more efficient. The A/S compound will be more efficient, The wider front will be less efficient, To what extent this effects things in real life I do not know. My guess is not much. Maybe we are all overthinking this one. Maybe not.

The front 20" will register 1.5% slower and the rear 0.5% slower on the speedo. As tread wears on any tire, you will get variance. I have OEM tires but have had to replace a few. Also, each tire manufacturer's diameters vary for the same tire size rating. The 285 front will stick out both inward and outward 0.4". Should not be an issue. The rear will be same outward and 0.4" further from the suspension. Should be good for both.

Again, keep in mind that Tesla is releasing a 20" OEM version that is 285 in the front and 305 in the rear. The offsets are the same with the OEM 20 and sportline 20".

With all that being said, I am all for keeping things OEM, All things being equal, I do not want aftermarket anything, But in true Tesla fashion, they have to complicate my life and not have an A/S size for their OEM rears. So soon I will need to do something for the cold months coming. I am holding out hope that Michelin will come out with the the Sport 4 A/S soon in the rear.

Reactions: derichio02
What size tires did you do?
I stuck with the factory specs:

1634651298656.png