Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All season tires install on my Plaid yesterday and A MAJOR RANGE INCREASE ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If going by overall diameter, that 20" size is fine - it matches the OEM 20" from Tesla.

If the vehicle is preprogrammed for a certain tire, even changing the tire (not the size) will cause the mileage display to be off. There will be a difference in range from summer to A/S tires due to compound.

Going from the OEM 21" to the Sportline 20" will have offsetting penalties. The narrower rear tires is more efficient. The lighter combo will be more efficient. The A/S compound will be more efficient, The wider front will be less efficient, To what extent this effects things in real life I do not know. My guess is not much. Maybe we are all overthinking this one. Maybe not.

The front 20" will register 1.5% slower and the rear 0.5% slower on the speedo. As tread wears on any tire, you will get variance. I have OEM tires but have had to replace a few. Also, each tire manufacturer's diameters vary for the same tire size rating. The 285 front will stick out both inward and outward 0.4". Should not be an issue. The rear will be same outward and 0.4" further from the suspension. Should be good for both.

Again, keep in mind that Tesla is releasing a 20" OEM version that is 285 in the front and 305 in the rear. The offsets are the same with the OEM 20 and sportline 20".

With all that being said, I am all for keeping things OEM, All things being equal, I do not want aftermarket anything, But in true Tesla fashion, they have to complicate my life and not have an A/S size for their OEM rears. So soon I will need to do something for the cold months coming. I am holding out hope that Michelin will come out with the the Sport 4 A/S soon in the rear.
Refresh S doesn’t have oem 20”
They have 19” 21”
Change the tires diameter you change the gearing.

The wrg4 are all weather with the mountains snow flakes.
Running them Two years now on the 3. Huge fan of all things Nokian.
No cal gets lots of snow doesn’t it?
East of me, towards the foothills, yes, but around here, I mostly just have to deal with low ambient temp (38F this morning), frost and the occasional black ice.

Reactions: Duke846
I agree it's an estimate. I have not run my Plaid From 100 % to Zero to see what the range is so I can't comment on the figures you give but they are reasonable depending on how much fun you are having with the Plaid. I think in a prior post I noted the tire diameter differences and the new tires were 0.1 to 0.45 inches smaller on a roughly 28inch tire. he tire diameter is within about 0.1-0.45 inches of the stock diameter (265X .35X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 28.303" & 295X .30X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 27.969") vs 285X .35X 2 /25.4 + 20 = 27.854"for the all seasons. I will do a speedo calibration in the future and see how close it is. My model X with stock tires was spot on @ 50 mph 49.99 mph was what I measured over 2 miles and I was a faction of a second late when I stopped the stop watch on my iPhone. When I drive conservatively with the OEM tires the mileage estimate in the Plaid is close and sometimes I get a few % more miles that it estimates so for me it's more useful to leave the range in miles. If I want percentage I just divide the range by 35 for each 10 % of charge in the Plaid. I avoid going down to less than 70 miles of range and usually charge to 70 % or 240-245 miles.
I will keep the readers posted on how the tire do as far as noise. Thanks for you insight

Can you post pics on the front of how much more poke you get? It should be 0.4" but want to see a visual.

Go to this website. Plug in the correct numbers for all (including offset) and you will see that there is no discernable difference in the 20's you have and the OEM 21". This also shows position of the wheels on the car.

285/35r20 (10" width, +40 offset)

265/35r21 (9.5" width, +40 offset)
295/35r21 (10.5" width, +45 offset)

Oddly enough, if you compare the OEM 19" and the OEM 21" - the fronts are considerably different and the rears are exactly the same diameters.

Keep in mind that one company's 285/35r20 and another company's 285/35r20 do not have the exact same overall diameters. There are variations and sometimes over 0.2" - that is enough to throw most of this discussion out the window.

Go to this website. Plug in the correct numbers for all (including offset) and you will see that there is no discernable difference in the 20's you have and the OEM 21". This also shows position of the wheels on the car.

285/35r20 (10" width, +40 offset)

265/35r21 (9.5" width, +40 offset)
295/35r21 (10.5" width, +45 offset)

Oddly enough, if you compare the OEM 19" and the OEM 21" - the fronts are considerably different and the rears are exactly the same diameters.

Keep in mind that one company's 285/35r20 and another company's 285/35r20 do not have the exact same overall diameters. There are variations and sometimes over 0.2" - that is enough to throw most of this discussion out the window.
I just changed my order from 21” to 19” all seaso tires. Tesla now offers them. Saves me 4500$ and stress.
the PS4 tire is on rated to 184 mph anyway. Sure if you want to do the 200 mph you’re going to need the pilot sport cup 2

I just changed my order from 21” to 19” all seaso tires. Tesla now offers them. Saves me 4500$ and stress.
the PS4 tire is on rated to 184 mph anyway. Sure if you want to do the 200 mph you’re going to need the pilot sport cup 2

I could have changed my order to 19" but then I would have 19" wheels on my car.

The 19" wheels look good (without the fugly caps) but to me they just do not look in a good proportion to the size of the car. The 21" are great for ride and handling. To me it is strictly the A/S issue. The 20" look good and would satisfy A/S craving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke846
The car doesn’t do that.
you have the wrong tire size. I would have stuck to oem size.
Let me be clear. I did not say that the car can adjust the speedometer calibration from the camera system. The camera system in the Tesla is doing computer aided photogrammmetry to map the cars surroundings to be able to self drive. The car before it can "self drive" first has to do camera system calibration. What is going on during that process is very accurately locating the cameras in the car relative to one another to improve accuracy and the speed which it can do the analysis of the multiple collected images. The data is in all probability available for the system to know distance traveled. IF the distance traveled and the number of expected wheel revolutions for that distance doesn't correlate that could be used to adjust the wheel assembly circumference and thereby the vehicle speed. I am NOT say it does do that adjustment. I have calibrated a bunch of speedometers in my professional work. The model X was within 0.01 mph or less of the indicated speed over 2 miles @ 50 mph. VERY unusual to be that close. I have not had any others be so close.
Since there is a lot of interest I will try do a speedometer calibration in my travels on the new tires and report what I find. The Plaid goes in tomorrow morning for the replacement wheel and I will try to find out about the range issue as well.

I could have changed my order to 19" but then I would have 19" wheels on my car.

The 19" wheels look good (without the fugly caps) but to me they just do not look in a good proportion to the size of the car. The 21" are great for ride and handling. To me it is strictly the A/S issue. The 20" look good and would satisfy A/S craving.
Let me be clear. I did not say that the car can adjust the speedometer calibration from the camera system. The camera system in the Tesla is doing computer aided photogrammmetry to map the cars surroundings to be able to self drive. The car before it can "self drive" first has to do camera system calibration. What is going on during that process is very accurately locating the cameras in the car relative to one another to improve accuracy and the speed which it can do the analysis of the multiple collected images. The data is in all probability available for the system to know distance traveled. IF the distance traveled and the number of expected wheel revolutions for that distance doesn't correlate that could be used to adjust the wheel assembly circumference and thereby the vehicle speed. I am NOT say it does do that adjustment. I have calibrated a bunch of speedometers in my professional work. The model X was within 0.01 mph or less of the indicated speed over 2 miles @ 50 mph. VERY unusual to be that close. I have not had any others be so close.
Since there is a lot of interest I will try do a speedometer calibration in my travels on the new tires and report what I find. The Plaid goes in tomorrow morning for the replacement wheel and I will try to find out about the range issue as well.
we have all told you the answer, you just don’t listen. The SC will tell you the same thing.
your tires are not oem. The Speedo will be off.

Yesterday took the Plaid in for a wheel and tire change out @ the Mount Kisco Tesla Facility. They had to dismount the tires install the "purple" Tire Pressure sensors that are different and are blue tooth. They installed ST 20" Tesla Model S Long Range & Plaid Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4) Satin Black 20x10" Front & Rear / Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 285/35 ZR20 on my 2021 Plaid VIN: 5YJSA1E65MF4XXXXXX. The techs at Mount Kisco discovered a problem on unpacking the wheels one wheel was damaged. The techs took photos for me to send off to T Sportline.The good news is that T Sportline shipped a replacement wheel the same day on receipt of the photos, That process was started while they were still mounting and balancing the wheels.
The tires at least for spirited street driving are excellent. The one issue is they are noisy. I spent at little time with the sport line people and their opinion was the lack of the deadening foam on the tires is an issue. It may be and they are looking into it that a retro fit of the material may be possible. I hope so. The Plaid is the quietest car I have been in...but no longer.
Now for the little surprise. I normally charge to 70 %. That gives me about 242 miles of range EXCEPT this morning 274 miles of range ????
I switched back and forth between % and miles and yup 70 % charge. I can assure you it was not my driving. If you divide the range by the % charge you get 397 MILE RANGE!! In the past the % charge and the range followed the normal 348 mile range BUT NO MORE1 I did not spare the electrons on the way home and was using around 300-310 watts per mile. I was NOT trying for a good "safety score" and wanted to push the tires a bit. The tire diameter is within about 0.1-0.45 inches of the stock diameter (265X .35X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 28.303" & 295X .30X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 27.969") vs 285X .35X 2 /25.4 + 20 = 28.854"for the all seasons. Perhaps the Plaid saw the tire diameter difference and the same wheel RPM and concluded ?? Do cars conclude ? That I had 19 inch wheels so figured a longer range ? We will see if it concluded correctly I will let you know. BTW the Plaid if driven normally does get close the projected range with the stock tires.
Here are a couple of photos taken this evening in my garage with an antique iPhone 7 so nothing special
Did a Tesla service center mount the TPMS on non-Tesla wheels that you provided and then mounted the tires you provided on the wheels, and then balanced and mounted the whole thing on your car? That is new if Tesla SCs are dealing with non-Tesla wheels and tires — usually the most they would do is mount tires you provided, but only if they were Tesla spec tires on TEsla OEM wheels.

Interesting if they are open to dealing with non-Tesla wheels and tires.

Did a Tesla service center mount the TPMS on non-Tesla wheels that you provided and then mounted the tires you provided on the wheels, and then balanced and mounted the whole thing on your car? That is new if Tesla SCs are dealing with non-Tesla wheels and tires — usually the most they would do is mount tires you provided, but only if they were Tesla spec tires on TEsla OEM wheels.

Interesting if they are open to dealing with non-Tesla wheels and tires.

I am sure each SC is different.

I cannot dins it but I did see a Tesla form you can sign to waive issues from them installing non OEM tires and/or wheels.

ETA: found it

Attachments

• aftermarket tire install authorization form.pdf
    258.7 KB · Views: 158
Yesterday took the Plaid in for a wheel and tire change out @ the Mount Kisco Tesla Facility. They had to dismount the tires install the "purple" Tire Pressure sensors that are different and are blue tooth. They installed ST 20" Tesla Model S Long Range & Plaid Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4) Satin Black 20x10" Front & Rear / Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 285/35 ZR20 on my 2021 Plaid VIN: 5YJSA1E65MF4XXXXXX. The techs at Mount Kisco discovered a problem on unpacking the wheels one wheel was damaged. The techs took photos for me to send off to T Sportline.The good news is that T Sportline shipped a replacement wheel the same day on receipt of the photos, That process was started while they were still mounting and balancing the wheels.
The tires at least for spirited street driving are excellent. The one issue is they are noisy. I spent at little time with the sport line people and their opinion was the lack of the deadening foam on the tires is an issue. It may be and they are looking into it that a retro fit of the material may be possible. I hope so. The Plaid is the quietest car I have been in...but no longer.
Now for the little surprise. I normally charge to 70 %. That gives me about 242 miles of range EXCEPT this morning 274 miles of range ????
I switched back and forth between % and miles and yup 70 % charge. I can assure you it was not my driving. If you divide the range by the % charge you get 397 MILE RANGE!! In the past the % charge and the range followed the normal 348 mile range BUT NO MORE1 I did not spare the electrons on the way home and was using around 300-310 watts per mile. I was NOT trying for a good "safety score" and wanted to push the tires a bit. The tire diameter is within about 0.1-0.45 inches of the stock diameter (265X .35X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 28.303" & 295X .30X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 27.969") vs 285X .35X 2 /25.4 + 20 = 28.854"for the all seasons. Perhaps the Plaid saw the tire diameter difference and the same wheel RPM and concluded ?? Do cars conclude ? That I had 19 inch wheels so figured a longer range ? We will see if it concluded correctly I will let you know. BTW the Plaid if driven normally does get close the projected range with the stock tires.
Here are a couple of photos taken this evening in my garage with an antique iPhone 7 so nothing special
did you hear any humming noise on your Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tire? I saw multiple reports in this forum that this tire create humming noise when driving on wet road. I am also consider switch to this tire but a little bit hesitate now.