Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Has anyone managed to fit a pair of A/T shoes on their Model X before? Some quick research shows that switching to 19” 8.5 wheels allows to fit 235/55r19 A/T rubber by Falken and Yokohama while keeping load ratings. I’ve seen videos of 18” wheels on a model X but I am not quite sure how they cleared the brake calipers and rotors 🤔. Obviously the X isnt an incredibly rock crawler, but I believe with some good shoes it can handle the off road mountain passes here in Colorado.

Thanks!

You probably need them as your HW4 was and probably still is a dirt road. :D

I tried to fit 255/55 R19 that I still have from my Land Rover LR3 (Discovery 3 in Europe) but they won't fit at the front. The 235/55R19 will fit I think.

Man, I have spent some time trying to find a solution to this myself. Continental actually makes a factory size AT tire for the 20" rim, but it is EU only and not DOT approved/available in the US.

Hey all,

Has anyone managed to fit a pair of A/T shoes on their Model X before? Some quick research shows that switching to 19” 8.5 wheels allows to fit 235/55r19 A/T rubber by Falken and Yokohama while keeping load ratings. I’ve seen videos of 18” wheels on a model X but I am not quite sure how they cleared the brake calipers and rotors 🤔. Obviously the X isnt an incredibly rock crawler, but I believe with some good shoes it can handle the off road mountain passes here in Colorado.

Thanks!
Any updates? Have 2016 and want to upgrade to All Terrains as well

Two TireRack "On-Road All-Terrain" options are now available in 20" Model X refresh sized staggered tires....

🛞 #1 - Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail's
🛞 #2 - Nitto Nomad Grappler's

Anybody give them a go yet on a newer Model X? I'm considering them for my winter set on my 20" OEM Cyberstream wheels.

Downside seems to be their added weight (+6-8lbs) and I'm guessing much less efficiency tread pattern, but I do 80% of my driving locally under highway speeds anyways. 🤔

I have a buddy that put the Wildpeaks on his Tacoma recently and the ride quality was night and day better! I was shocked how different, softer and quieter it felt vs. the Goodyear Duratec's he was running previously.

Attachments

• Falken Wildpeak.jpg
    Falken Wildpeak.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 21
  • Nitto Nomad.jpg
    Nitto Nomad.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Going with t sport line 19s, with Falkan wildpeaks. Will see how it does. Co,in from 22s, so don’t expect a huge change.
Did you ever go through with it? Any feedback or regrets?

EDIT: I see you did, looks awesome too! 😍

Two TireRack "On-Road All-Terrain" options are now available in 20" Model X refresh sized staggered tires....

Anybody give them a go yet on a newer Model X? I'm considering them for my winter set on my 20" OEM Cyberstream wheels.

Downside seems to be their added weight (+6-8lbs) and I'm guessing much less efficiency tread pattern, but I do 80% of my driving locally under highway speeds anyways. 🤔

I have a buddy that put the Wildpeaks on his Tacoma recently and the ride quality was night and day better! I was shocked how different, softer and quieter it felt vs. the Goodyear Duratec's he was running previously.
I wanted wildpeaks on my Y, now that I have the XP I want these. My only concern is if they will give some sidewall or not, or maybe get 295s? I've also been thinking of spacers to push them out a bit more, but not sure if that's actually safe to do on a car with 1000 HP ><

Haha yeah I did go with it, I feel like I’m one of the few rebel X owners out there rolling with this set up.

So far compared to my prior set up with 22” with all seasons it’s 397 wh/mi to 415.

Ride is definitely smoother, and again this is on 18” wheels and with the falken wildpeak trails that come with the T sport line. I can roll over curbs and what is curb rash. It’s still definitely a beefy tire so it looks better than small wheels on a Tesla. I’ve been happy with this set up, I can cross rotate tires, tires are cheaper and wear much longer compared to the staggered X set up. Plus for gravel, snow and rain I feel more solid.

Honestly I wish Elon would make a cyber X .

• Informative
Reactions: NJturtlePower
I wanted wildpeaks on my Y, now that I have the XP I want these. My only concern is if they will give some sidewall or not, or maybe get 295s? I've also been thinking of spacers to push them out a bit more, but not sure if that's actually safe to do on a car with 1000 HP ><
That’s a good question, you got a different beast compared to my grandpa X with 150k miles and much less HP.

Reactions: Anthony R.
I have driven almost everything in the Ouray/Telluride area in my 4Runner and my former 6 cyl Outback so if you are more specific maybe I can share observations.

As a general rule of thumb, that particular area is extremely overcrowded which means that the least capable vehicle will create long lines and not everybody will be pleasant to its driver.

Though I have taken my Outback on true 4x4 trails, it would not even cross my mind to take the Model Y on anything beyond a dirt road. I doubt the X is any more capable in any way.

I guess I would drive the Y on Stony Pass from the west side to the creek crossing and back. It is really just a narrow glorified dirt road except for the water crossing. Other than that, nothing comes to mind. Just the last several miles of the dirt road into Animas forks will seriously test a Y or X let alone the trail from there into the actual easier passes.

Corkscrew is smooth but can have ruts and serious holes due to weather damage or UTV/ATV damage as well as long lines. Under ideal conditions, I might consider it but...not really:)

Hurricane Pass is very mildly rocky and combined with California could make for a truly adventurous for a Tesla loop (easy in my former Outback) but it would take giant balls of gold, I think (a Steve Vai song title).

HERE ARE ALL THE ISSUES:

--Non existent rocker panel clearance;
--HORRIBLE wheels when it comes to offroading unless you can get 18" wheels.
--Extremely low hanging front bumper that is just asking to be ripped off
--Minimal ground clearance and a battery right there.
--Problematic rear bumper.

I guess traction wise the Tesla will be fine on many of those trails but it is not traction I would worry about.

Mind, you I have a 4Runner on desert suspension with 12.5" of ground clearance, Mickey Thompson MT tires, and a full set of 3/16" steel armor + rock sliders so I am pretty spoiled nowadays so there is that.

I know Jeep rentals are pricey and as a former Subaru offroader I hate recommending a rental, but an open top Jeep on slow going trails is unbeatable. Here, on the majority of desert trails, I can fly past the Jeeps with my suspension but on slow going mountain trails, they are just fantastic.

I have a 2024 PX and had to fix it as well.

It's a long thread. You might want skip at least the first 5 pages.

I have a 2024 PX and had to fix it as well.

It's a long thread. You might want skip at least the first 5 pages.

Having a look, thanks!