Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Weather Rear Trunk Liner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are considering the purchase of one of these liners for our 21 S but need to find out whether their top surface will help to prevent items from sliding, in our case a large cooler and 50 pound bags of goose food in smooth paper bags for example. The carpet surface in the car provides little friction and the goose food has, in the past ended up in the space between the front seat backs and the space in front of the back seats with the seats folded down. We need the extra space which is why the seats are down.
We found something called a "Car Travel Inflatable Mattress Back Seat Gap" on Amazon which doesn't seem to be very good quality and would droop in the center due to the way it is designed to allow for the drive shaft tunnel. Something like it, designed specifically for Tesla, would be very nice for dogs and cargo. A liner that would cover the entire space from the rear of the trunk to the top of the lowered seat backs would also be helpful. Hint, hint!
Any other ideas would be welcomed and considered.

DerbyDave,
Thanks for your response. I have a call in to 4knines to find out how slippery the top surface is and whether there is any way to keep the rear end of the liner in place - it looks loose in the picture. That top surface looks more slippery than the carpet in the car. CanvasBack has something very similar but they did not sound very confident that their material would provide much friction either.
We have plastic corner pieces from a previous car but the Velcro on them does not attach well to the S carpet. Others must be experiencing this problem.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I don't have a ready solution. Thinking out loud here ... you could start wit a 3D Maxpider rear cargo mat. It only covers the part of the rear with rhe seats folded up. Then you might be able to fashion the rest my modifying and attaching the rear foot mat. The material is exceptionally non slippery. The back side has a texture that will not slip on the carpet

Reactions: Beasts
The folks at Knines recommend purchasing the XL for the S, as you probably know DerbyDave, but they have no answer for the sliding problem. it would be good for our dogs but at 90 pounds plus I would be afraid of their stepping in that gap between the front and rear seats even when it is covered by the liner. They would probably (hopefully) step there only once but...
Possibly Weather Tech for cargo and Knines for the dogs except that Weather Tech, as far as I know, only covers the space behind the back seat.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I have the OEM textile (carpet) one in the Y. Really wish they would make on for the S. Soft and pliable, easy access to the sub trunk not to mention very easy to take in and out. Model Y Rugged Textile Rear Trunk Mat
Couldn't agree with you more regarding the S, especially if they made it to cover the back seats when they are down. Modifying an idea from zoomer we are considering a trunk liner from Weather Tech and adding one of their rear foot mats to cover the back seats when down, which would still leave that gap between the front and rear seats. I think the dogs could cope with that. Weather Tech also has what they call a Cargo Containment System - 4 corner pieces - which they insist stick quite well to their mats. Has anyone tried Weather Tech? We have one of their mats in our van and it works quite well but it is fit in such a way that it can't move around.

We have plastic corner pieces from a previous car but the Velcro on them does not attach well to the S carpet. Others must be experiencing this problem.
These plastic corner pieces will attach to the sub-trunk or the lower trunk liner very well. So if you find a person who is making taylor made maritime covers for yachts and such, then just find similar material you need and ask them to make one for you?