TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Almost in an accident 1 hour after getting my Model 3

Discussion in 'Canada' started by T3slaCanuck, Jun 10, 2018.

1. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

Now I know why insurance is so expensive in Toronto. No more than an hour after getting my model 3 today, a Taxi driver (who was on his cell phone) just blindly turned into my car. Luckily I saw his dumb ass, and was able to swerve over to the right into a bus lane. I couldn't believe how wreckless he was. like he didn't even look before he turned. I don't know what I would have done had he actually hit me. I would have been irate.

2. Acho

Acho Member

Not only in Toronto.
    Not only taxi drivers.

Sad but true :(

• Like x 1
  3. Buggle

Buggle Member

I almost had one the second day lol. I was in a right turn lane approaching a light. Guy entered the turn lane behind me to jump the line of cars going straight. Approaching the light he started trying to merge back, but there was a pedestrian crossing so I couldn't turn right. Slowed down, guy was looking over his shoulder at the straight lane, almost rear ended me.

4. Buggle

Buggle Member

There's a special place in hell for Vegas cabbies. ;) Or perhaps the Vegas cab company owners. I was ecstatic when Uber went through down there.

5. Acho

Acho Member

You do realize that a lot of cabbies in Vegas drive Uber as second job? ;)

Edit: on the strip is a mess. Not only taxi drivers but regular drivers are going nuts. Pedestrians don't recognize lights and cross ehen they feel

6. Buggle

Buggle Member

And the main reason Toronto insurance is so high is not cause of bad drivers, it's cause of insurance fraud. I read something along the lines that insurance fraud is the majority of insurance company liability in Toronto. So we're not bad drivers, just dishonest people. ;p

• Funny x 2
  7. Buggle

Buggle Member

No I know. I'd say the majority of them are out of work cabbies. But that pressure to perform & rip ppl off is gone. That Vegas cabbie instinct is still there tho, Vegas is the only place where Uber drivers expect a tip and will give you a bad rating if you don't tip them. I remember once my wife forgot her phone in her room, I gave the guy $5 to chill while she ran back to the room and get it, then he still gave me a *sugar* rating lol.

8. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

it's so nerve wracking. every biker that comes along my passenger side makes me nervous. hopefully it's just first day, new car jitters

9. Buggle

Buggle Member

For me at least every new car takes a good few months to get used to. You've really got to get a feel for how big the car is, how high a curb is too high...

• Like x 1
  10. Acho

Acho Member

One thing for sure - Vegas is strange place, especially around the strip /which I try to avoid desperately/

11. Buggle

Buggle Member

Yeah I know, a lot of the locals hate the strip. I love it tho, such a surreal place. I guess it must get a bit tired if you live there.

12. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I hate to say it, I've been in an accident in my first Model S in Toronto thanks to a moron trying to start from a parallel parking spot to go across the street into an adjacent street - during rush hour.

I would highly suggest getting a dashcam (both front and rear). I have no idea when Musk will implement the internal dashcam - but I wish it was soon!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Dodged a bullet there. Taxi drivers are known for finding "witnesses" to defend themselves.

• Like x 1
  14. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

Yea. Im gonna look into getting a dashcam. Any recommendations?

15. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

one of those times when "Almost" is good.
    Most ppl seem to rate Blackvue dashcams

• Like x 2
  16. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

What thegruf said - I usually see good reviews on Blackview. It's probably better to get higher quality dashcams - consider it an investment in the case of an accident. If I get time later today I'll see if I can find the thread that touches on Toronto installers.

17. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

Watch out for those loving grannies that seem to love changing lanes no matter what. This one was in Niagara Falls, NY that got a hell of a honking before she realized that she wanted to turn left instead of right at the next lights anyway.

18. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

19. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Saw a Model 3 "in the wild" last week and waved at the driver as I was turning into a business he was exiting, he stopped to wave back and crept into the road, almost side swiped by a van...felt bad for the guy, was just trying to do the Tesla wave and he almost got smashed in his new 3. I'll try to strategically do my Tesla wave in the future. Sigh.

• Like x 1
  20. Eco Capitalist

An unlicensed driver backed a truck into my Model S at a stop light when the car was 2 months old. My dashcam was the difference between no fault and his fault. They are worth every penny.