Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an accident in my model 3, and insurance decided not to cover the vehicle, Does anyone know an estimated repair cost for this kind of damage? Or had a similar accident?

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1124.jpeg
    IMG_1124.jpeg
    731.3 KB · Views: 31
Why would your insurance decline coverage? We only have limited pics so it's impossible for anyone to tell. I

From the limited pics, it seems you only have damage on the door and maybe superficial damage to the passenger rear front? Is so, the cost is a new door, installation, plus paint.

Upvote 0
Insurance declined coverage because a driver was not listed on the policy even though the car has full coverage, and other than the door damage, both of the passenger side airbags popped, I don't know if there is any orher damage based on the exterior. So I was just looking for an estimate on the price of repairing the door before I tow it to the Tesla repair facility.

Upvote 0
Insurance declined coverage because a driver was not listed on the policy even though the car has full coverage, and other than the door damage, both of the passenger side airbags popped, I don't know if there is any orher damage based on the exterior. So I was just looking for an estimate on the price of repairing the door before I tow it to the Tesla repair facility.
There no such thing as "full coverage". Each item of coverage you buy is piecemeal. And whatever coverage you do buy is subject to the language of the policy. The language can differ from one company to another so you can't always make direct comparison either.

If you are letting anyone borrow your vehicle, you should always know what you're policy says about it. Don't trust your agent to explain it. Most agents have no clue. If you have other drivers in your household, name them on the policy. If you don't, I'd recommend not letting them drive your car.

Depending on the exact circumstances, I've seen insurers rescind a policy because the policyholder lied about drivers in the household on their application which had a material effect on the rates offered. One particular company I worked for in the past did this aggressively.

Sorry to hear about your circumstance, but I find to many people never look at the verbiage in their policies and are then surprised when something they expect to be covered isn't.

If another vehicle's driver was at fault, you may be able to go after them...

Reactions: hsfrank
Upvote 0
With respect. The rates you are quoting are beyond insane. Almost $5k/yr for one driver and over $26k/yr for a second driver? Also none of us are insurance estimators here, but when the airbags go off, that is never a good sign. If your pyro fuse went off also, then you could be looking at a write off.

Did you have a driving record which put you in “facilities” insurance category? Here in Canada, that would be the only explanation for such high rates. Wishing you luck sorting this out.

Upvote 0
Im not going to argue against the insurance company's decision, but if the premium changes from $400/month to $2200/month just for adding one driver on the policy I would rather not add the driver. That just seems ridiculous to me.
That is pretty ridiculous. That person needs to get their own car or a different car. Or find another carrier that isn't so pricey for said driver.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
There seems to be damage to the quarter panel also. Last time I scraped the rear door, damaged the quarter panel, rocker panel on my S during parking at couple of miles speed. TCC replaced the rear door, quarter and rocker panel, clear off the PFF in the front door, paint doors and panels - total costs 14k, Tesla insurance and Tesla collision center got 3k+ discounts. Since your airbags deployed, likely headliners and other sensors need to be replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs close to 20k or more.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
What?? I don't know if Wisconsin is different somehow, but the "standard" auto insurance policy covers "anyone using the vehicle with the policyholder's permission" if that use was within the course and scope of such permission. That's called "Permissive Use" in insurance lingo. It doesn't require that the person be named on the policy.

So, if your neighbor borrowed your car it would be covered. But if he drove it without your permission, or told you he was going to the store and instead went to a beer joint across town, it wouldn't be covered, and he would be liable for damage. Are you being scammed?

Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0
What?? I don't know if Wisconsin is different somehow, but the "standard" auto insurance policy covers "anyone using the vehicle with the policyholder's permission" if that use was within the course and scope of such permission. That's called "Permissive Use" in insurance lingo. It doesn't require that the person be named on the policy.
Permissive use is not universal. Some policies, coupled with strict underwriting practices, do not simply allow anyone to drive. This is more likely the case with substandard policies (high risk) where their policyholders are more likely not to disclose a driver. However, I've also seen policies with drop down limits that bring the liability limits to the state minimum with permissive use drivers that aren't named on the policy. Both are used to provide more competitive premiums.
So, if your neighbor borrowed your car it would be covered. But if he drove it without your permission, or told you he was going to the store and instead went to a beer joint across town, it wouldn't be covered, and he would be liable for damage. Are you being scammed?
I've never seen a policy that would would not cover a different destination than stated specifically. The verbiage for something like that would be a nightmare. Generally speaking non-permissive use tends to follow the definition of theft.

Ann interesting example is rental cars. Do not ever let someone borrow a rental car unless the rental agency allows it (usually requires the person to be added to the rental contract; some allow spouses automatically). The rental company views this as theft and as a result, your own insurance will likely deny such a claim.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0

I think it makes a difference if the person driving the car is someone who resides with the owner of the car, typically a child, and they don't have their own insurance.

Upvote 0
I guess the driver is in the same household and not added to the driver list. So it does not fall under permissive use. I am not sure how much of a premium difference will be for an additional driver. Should get a quote from the agent and see if it is worth it. I would expect the damage to be $15-20K.

Upvote 0