Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost ready to pull the trigger questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a stock model s 70D. Still can't seem to wrap my head around the $75,000 price but can't get the Model S out of my head either.

I did a test drive the other day and I was impressed but I had a few concerns:

1.) the AC seemed to not be very good. It was 92 at the time and with the black bucket seats and pana roof I was sweating to say the least. Wasn't impressed...
2.) head room seemed cramped. I was going to go without the pana roof but now I think it's almost worth the $1500 to get the extra head room.
3.) we have a few steep driveways around here. With stock suspension should I be worried?
4.) really don't like the back rear center headrest. Wish it were removable.
5.) really can't believe there are no rear cup holders without spending $600
6.) can three BIG suitcases fit in the trunk?
7.) is keeping the model s for 7-8 years impractical?
8.) has anyone had issues with the soft paint? I read touch less car washes only.

Wondering if the premium interior is worth it? Only thing that seems nice is the power lift gate...

I would never use the autopilot but everyone seems to recommend it. My drive to work is 6miles all side roads and we only see family a few days a year.

My $0.02...

1.) the AC seemed to not be very good. It was 92 at the time and with the black bucket seats and pana roof I was sweating to say the least. Wasn't impressed...

I live in TX... A/C works just fine in the heat here. And, I feel the pano reduces the TX sun quite well (but some people opt to tint it even more). A/C is not an issue imho.

2.) head room seemed cramped. I was going to go without the pana roof but now I think it's almost worth the $1500 to get the extra head room.

I'm 6'2"... agree the interior cabin is 'cramped' a little compared to other cars at this price point. Pano was a must for me (not for this reason but b/c I wanted the sunroof)... but having the extra headroom definitely helps.

3.) we have a few steep driveways around here. With stock suspension should I be worried?

It isn't so much about the driveway being "steep"... is is more about the slope of the entrance into the driveway. I went ahead and got it b/c I've noticed even on my relatively flat (but bumpy) roads it scratches sometimes. Plus, I like the smoother ride.

Agree. I bought the center console but wish it anchored more solidly. It moves around with any little force. :-\

Easily.

That is my plan. The economics start to "break even" to a fully loaded BMW 5 series at that point.

Reactions: The Lorax
I would add:
1. AC is fine in Texas, but you need to set it cooler than you might in some other cars. I would recommend heat rejection film on the windows (not needed on windshield or pano roof)-- not a "window tint" unless you want less light, but a film that blocks heat while letting light in such as 3M crystalline or a ceramic film. Lots of posts about this here.
3. We have a steep driveway and with regular suspension I bottom out only when there are suitcases in the trunk. Air suspension would avoid this.
5. I don't get the obsession with cup holders. If you need something to drink, do it before you leave or when you get where you're going. No cup holders = no drinks in the car= no spills in the car.
8. I hand wash my car with ONR. I would never subject this beautiful and expensive car to a car wash. Even the touchless are bad as they use strong chemicals as a substitute for the touching.

Last edited:
is keeping the model s for 7-8 years impractical?
I don't understand why it would be impractical to do that. Perhaps you can explain.
we have a few steep driveways around here. With stock suspension should I be worried?
Others on TMC have posted the same concern and their local Tesla showroom has loaned them a car with air suspension to see if it is necessary for them to raise the car to get up their driveway without scraping.
head room seemed cramped. I was going to go without the pana roof but now I think it's almost worth the $1500 to get the extra head room.
I am 6'2" and have no problem with the headroom in my non-sunroof S.

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a stock model s 70D. Still can't seem to wrap my head around the $75,000 price but can't get the Model S out of my head either.

I did a test drive the other day and I was impressed but I had a few concerns:

8.) has anyone had issues with the soft paint? I read touch less car washes only.

Wondering if the premium interior is worth it? Only thing that seems nice is the power lift gate...

I would never use the autopilot but everyone seems to recommend it. My drive to work is 6miles all side roads and we only see family a few days a year.

This may not help your decision making much, but my answer to 2, 3, 4, & 5 was to go for a Model X instead (mostly for #2 - I more or less fit in my Volt with the seat over reclined, and the Pano S I test drove was about the same, with the back seat being even worse. the X has lots of room. :) )

A base X75D is only $8k more than an S70D...

Reactions: ModelX
An additional point on #3/Air Suspension - speed bumps. Have had several occasions where I've encountered speed bumps that caused the car to bottom out, even when going across them VERY slowly. And sometimes they can't be avoided - like in the school parking lot where I drop my niece off. Scraped once and now the car remembers each time I drop her off:). Air Suspension definitely worth it.

Maybe the climate control temperature wasn't turned down far enough ... ? The Model S pumps cold air better than a Honda Accord, if that's saying anything. That's my experience, anyways, from others' Model Ses.

Watch this video:
Zip up to 1:10 and he gets into the space thing.

If you're concerned about battery life, don't be. Tesla has got this one nailed.

Everybody says to get it because it makes traffic effortless. You'll arrive at your destination 50-80% less stressed, more relaxed, and feeling almost rested. For a six-mile commute and rare highway driving, I would be tempted to skip it ... but remember, once you have a Tesla you'll be driving a lot more than you used to! :D

I did a 50 state tour with my 70D last summer and never had an issue with the A/C. Turn off energy mode and lower the desired temperature if you are uncomfortable. The Tesla is capable of keeping you cool. My 70D is now in Honolulu and AC works well here.
Panoramic roof makes a big difference for headroom, and it's a nice feature to have.
No problem with steep driveways and air suspension. Hopefully someone without air suspension can chime in.
Yes. If they won't fit laying flat, they will fit standing up if you remove the hat rack/trunk cover. Takes about 5 seconds.
Nope. Your battery will do fine during that time period and electric vehicle motors don't develop problems with mileage and time anywhere near the way that ICE engines do. Bottom line: your Tesla should still be running great in 7 to 8 years. Your battery and power train are covered by warranty for 8 years because Tesla thinks you are not likely to have major issues during that time period.
I have dark paint and would never consider brush car washes with any car. For my road trip I opted for wrapping the usual areas with Xpel and then having Opticoat spread over everything. After 20,000 miles my paint looks new. Couldn't be happier. If you're planning on keeping your Tesla for 7 or 8 years, seriously consider paint protection.
I would MUCH rather have a panoramic roof and air suspension than a powered hatch lift
You're going to fall in love with your Tesla and drive more highway miles than you ever expected, especially when you discover how nice it is to get free energy from a supercharger. I am a retired airline pilot and can fly most anywhere on earth for a song and a dance, but I found myself doing lots of driving in the mainland U.S. simply because I enjoyed it so much in a Tesla. Autopilot with its Traffic Aware Cruise Control takes lots of the effort out of highway driving. It is the most amazing feature of this amazing vehicle. Have fun!

Last edited: