Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternating lights for left lane blockers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could have used a bit of wizardry today
(
).
Truck in the right lane. Guy in the left lane was going about 0.05 MPH faster than the truck as he was passing him. Clear highway as far as you could see in front of them.

A quick flash of the lights works in every country I drive in EXCEPT the US. Maybe we need a bit more excitement to get people's attention here.

Could have used a bit of wizardry today
(
).
Truck in the right lane. Guy in the left lane was going about 0.05 MPH faster than the truck as he was passing him. Clear highway as far as you could see in front of them.

A quick flash of the lights works in every country I drive in EXCEPT the US. Maybe we need a bit more excitement to get people's attention here.
Alternating lights will probably get you attention, but it may not be the attention you want. In most jurisdictions you could get arrested for impersonating the police.

Many allow alternating flashing lights and they are common on a wide variety of maintenance and construction vehicles. I think the restrictions are usually on just on blue.
Depends how you use them, if you use them by pulling up behind someone and turning them on with the intention of making them pull out of the way (as stated in the first post of this thread), they'll argue that you were using them to try to pretend to be a cop, and they'd be absolutely right.

I've had this discussion with the police before about flashing lights on vehicles, the answer was "if you use them responsibly, we don't care what the law says about them, you'll never have a problem, if you use them irresponsibly we also don't care what the law says about them, we'll find something to get you on"

I use amber flashing lights on various vehicles all the time on special events. I've never had a problem, and the police have explicitly thanked me for using them, despite them not technically being legal in my jurisdiction. But that's because I only used them when dealing with incidents where I had to stop and block traffic (generally to attend to an injured person lying on the roadway). Meanwhile a friend of mine on one of these events drove 140km/hr down the highway with the same amber lights on. He got in a world of trouble.

So if you want to use them responsibly, your main interest will be in the tail lights, not the headlights, and you would never use them to pull up behind someone and try to convince them to move over. Now that would actually be useful to me, though I would much prefer it with amber rear turn signals so as not to piss off anyone with authority.