Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YGE and HSOL took big hits but most of the other solars aren't affected too much by the earnings announcements. The NASDAQ was down market open so thats probably why the solars were red. Although nows probably a good time for some SOL since it took the biggest hit that I saw outside of YGE and HSOL. I personally picked up some more JASO at $11.73.

Glad I dumped all my Nov options yesterday! Guess I'll wait and see how the day develops as I figure out how I want to apportion purchases, much as I can given actual job duties anyway. Might be able to grab some CSIQ stock at a slight discount.

Not sure what to think with SOL. Since mid-July, it's under performed most every other solar we talk about. Just sort of run flat, not really following the herd one way or another.

What do folks think of CSIQ at current level ($28-$29) after the run up over the last month. Earnings is tomorrow, I believe the company has strong long term fundamentals but caught up whether to take a position today (2-3% down pre ER) or post earnings. Any insights into how this quarter will fare ?

Not sure what to think with SOL. Since mid-July, it's under performed most every other solar we talk about. Just sort of run flat, not really following the herd one way or another.

SOL ran to $6 after Q2 ER. Then they announced a secondary stock offering, which diluted shares and showed investors they were still in need of cash to get off the bottom. When this happened it tanked the stock and its been trying to crawl back ever since.

Lacking a clear plan of what to do with the funds from selling my Novs, I put it into CSIQ stock for the time being. I'll almost certainly be holding some of it very long term anyway and today seemed a good day to buy given the dip and the upcoming, hopefully good, ER.

Do you think CSIQ is a good buy Pre ER today ? I read your megapost on CSIQ a bit too late, new to solar.

I think it is, but I also thought TSLA was a good buy prior to Q3 ER. I am a lot more confident in CSIQ though. I think it is a great buy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock tank 10% tomorrow. I don't think it will, but you never know.

I am expecting a 30% move for CSIQ by the end of the week. But nothing will surprise me.

Solar companies are not ER plays. They are buy and hold investments. If you want to hold long term then buy today and forget about ER tomorrow.

Anyone here have access to Capital IQ? I am seeing CSIQ analyst consensus of $0.36 EPS on yahoo and marketwatch. If this is the true consensus then CSIQ will blow that number out of the water.

CSIQ is the only ER play that I really felt confident about going into Q3 ER. All of the other ones I was hopeful, but CSIQ I knew would have a great ER. I think this ER will be the beginning of something big for the company.

Anyone here have access to Capital IQ? I am seeing CSIQ analyst consensus of $0.36 EPS on yahoo and marketwatch. If this is the true consensus then CSIQ will blow that number out of the water.

CSIQ is the only ER play that I really felt confident about going into Q3 ER. All of the other ones I was hopeful, but CSIQ I knew would have a great ER. I think this ER will be the beginning of something big for the company.

I'm not sure how accurate this site is but Earnings Whispers is showing $.60 consensus estimate.
http://www.earningswhispers.com/stocks.asp?symbol=CSIQ

I think it is, but I also thought TSLA was a good buy prior to Q3 ER. I am a lot more confident in CSIQ though. I think it is a great buy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock tank 10% tomorrow. I don't think it will, but you never know. I am expecting a 30% move for CSIQ by the end of the week. But nothing will surprise me.
Solar companies are not ER plays. They are buy and hold investments. If you want to hold long term then buy today and forget about ER tomorrow.
Appreciate your valuable insights, picked up some CSIQ. Did get burnt by TSLA for a bit, but then made some as well earlier = zero game.

I hope you are right. That would be fantastic. I rolled half my nov calls out and up to J16 earlier this week because I felt a little over exposed after the week we had with TSLA. Your 30% would also put a small speculative play I made a month ago itm.

Just due to the fact that CSIQ is in the minorty of Chinese Solars to be profitable this quarter, I am expecting there to be less downside and more upside potential, unless they miss bad. Also due to the variety of consensus estimates out there not sure which number the market will use to make buy/sell decisions. I am optimistic in the medium term ( 2 to 3 months).

The market will use Capital IQ consensus number. That is why I asked if anyone had access?

Anyone?
looks to me like roth capital partners is the only analyst picked up by Capital IQ (and their current estimate is $0.60 for Q3 -- see history of their estimates below):

Roth Capital Partners, LLC - EPS (GAAP) (FQ3 2013) - Consolidated
Nov-04-2013 9:03 PMRevisionShen, PhilipUSDUS GAAP
ico_value_arwup.gif
Aug-08-2013 11:58 AMRevisionShen, PhilipUSDUS GAAP
ico_value_arwdn.gif
Aug-05-2013 1:18 PMConfirmationShen, PhilipUSDUS GAAP
check_graybg.gif
Aug-05-2013 6:04 AMOriginalShen, PhilipUSDUS GAAP
event_rating.gif

looks to me like roth capital partners is the only analyst picked up by Capital IQ (and their current estimate is $0.60 for Q3 -- see history of their estimates below):

Roth Capital Partners, LLC - EPS (GAAP) (FQ3 2013) - Consolidated
Nov-04-2013 9:03 PM
Revision
Shen, Philip
USD
US GAAP
ico_value_arwup.gif
Aug-08-2013 11:58 AM
Revision
Shen, Philip
USD
US GAAP
ico_value_arwdn.gif
Aug-05-2013 1:18 PM
Confirmation
Shen, Philip
USD
US GAAP
check_graybg.gif
Aug-05-2013 6:04 AM
Original
Shen, Philip
USD
US GAAP
event_rating.gif

Thanks.

I think they can still beat $0.60, but on a GAAP basis there might be some one-off items that can through off EPS in either direction. One analyst is not really considered consensus.

I wonder why CapIQ does not have Nomura or Lazard who also follow CSIQ. GAAP doesn't really matter. Are the non-GAAP numbers different?