Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After losing out big on CSIQ and SOL and whatnot around earnings, and then losing the taste for them because I had lost quite a lot already (thus I didn't get anything during the dip), I just got back into CSIQ with the jan '14s $14 at $4.10. I picked the $14s since they look most liquid, and in the money + time premium means at least I get to keep a little bit of my cash hopefully even if it corrects 10%. Probably just buying high selling low once again, but looks promising so far. Not planning to hold until expiration.

Also holding onto a 50% loss on jan '14 SCTY $35 strike for the last month or so, probly going to end up selling those at a loss if we can get another up day or two.

I still have a couple thousand TSLA shares in the 20s so this is all play money to me.

Heh, I made my CSIQ Jan '15 into a negative risk play (had bought the 15 call for 5 and sold 17 call for 5.30 today) and opened a jan '14 play with 14 strike at $4 hoping to make it a delayed construct spread over the next weeks if it were to continue the run up. The fact that it closed at $16.7 is very nice indicator that it may indeed go up now.

SCTY indeed isn't cutting me slack, but I've lowered my buy in average now for the 35 strike Jan '15 call. If it goes down further I'll lower it more.

SCTY is not the same as csiq, tsl, yge, etc. the panel manufactures had big gains today, probably in part to the possibility that the trade war will be ended. SCTY is an integrator, leasing company. Totally different locations in the supply chain. SWPR is its own beast too because it is more vertically integrated.

Is now still a good time to get into CSIQ, SOL. Etc?

borat99 - It is actually the perfect time to buy CSIQ. If you are in it for the long haul then you can probably buy just about any solar stock and you will do well. In the short run we may always see 10%-30% corrections, so you have to be ready for that. If you are nervous about the whole US government shutdown and debt ceiling debacle then feel free to wait a few days. Just don't come back next week asking if its too late to get into CSIQ at $20. :wink:

Here is an article I wrote just yesterday evening on CSIQ. This will give you an answer to your question on investing in CSIQ:

Technically Speaking, it is a Great Time to Buy CSIQ | Investnaire: Focused Investing to Millionaire

It is a detailed post about CSIQ breaking out of its 2.5 year rounded bottom technical chart pattern. It looks to me like a perfect time to get into CSIQ, if there ever was one.

borat99 - It is actually the perfect time to buy CSIQ. If you are in it for the long haul then you can probably buy just about any solar stock and you will do well. In the short run we may always see 10%-30% corrections, so you have to be ready for that. If you are nervous about the whole US government shutdown and debt ceiling debacle then feel free to wait a few days. Just don't come back next week asking if its too late to get into CSIQ at $20. :wink:

Here is an article I wrote just yesterday evening on CSIQ. This will give you an answer to your question on investing in CSIQ:

Technically Speaking, it is a Great Time to Buy CSIQ | Investnaire: Focused Investing to Millionaire

It is a detailed post about CSIQ breaking out of its 2.5 year rounded bottom technical chart pattern. It looks to me like a perfect time to get into CSIQ, if there ever was one.

Great article, but don`t you think CSIQ could more then double in 2014?

Btw JKS: JinkoSolar to Provide 20 MW to State Grid Corporation of China for the National Wind/PV/Energy Storage and Transmission Project.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...orage-and-transmission-project-225778281.html?

Great article, but don`t you think CSIQ could more then double in 2014?

Btw JKS: JinkoSolar to Provide 20 MW to State Grid Corporation of China for the National Wind/PV/Energy Storage and Transmission Project.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...orage-and-transmission-project-225778281.html?

Honestly, I think that CSIQ will do better than double and I wrote that "I would be shocked if it doesn't double" meaning that it is my worst case scenario (assuming no global recession). I can see it closing 2014 anywhere between $40-$100.

Here is some more good SPWR news:

SPWR supplying panels for a Japanese Mega Project

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sunpower-corporation-supply-shimizu-69-010000704.html

and

SPWR signs $100m financing deal with Digital Credit Union to finance residential solar systems

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/digital-federal-credit-union-offer-120000539.html

It looks like markets are in a "risk-off" mood at least in the pre-market and solars are about to get hit pretty hard. Buying opportunity or will this decline last for a couple of weeks?

"French oil giant Total and Canadian listed power developer Etrion are planning to build a 70 MW solar PV farm in Chile that they say will be the largest in the world that will be financed only by revenues from the spot price of electricity.
Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2013/09/30...ant-financed-spot-market/#1PYTgkrMOS4LkWtC.99"

"The equity will be shared by Etrion (70 per cent), Total and Chilean firm Solventus. The project will use technology manufactured by US-based SunPower, whose biggest shareholder is Total"

Well it sux if Total is taking the money directly.

Also CSIQ: http://www.pv-tech.org/news/kenya_s...eds&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news-rss-feed
A consortium of companies that includes tier one manufacturer Canadian Solar has signed a memorandum of understanding with local Kenyan authorities to develop a 50MW PV in western Kenya.

And Greenpeace says the worlds biggest coal miners, which is India will run out of their reserves in 17 ears. What the hell do we do then? :D

Yes I think it is, tho im not updated at all on the US politics atm, but these companies are in China. http://www.pv-tech.org/news/china_c...snow&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=newsnow-feed

Thanks Norse and Sleepy. It looks like the global market is hit pretty hard this morning. I'll probably wait a day or two before I get it.

Thanks Norse and Sleepy. It looks like the global market is hit pretty hard this morning. I'll probably wait a day or two before I get it.

It's times like these when you should be buying. I bought some CSIQ options for $1.29 15 minutes ago and they are already worth $1.60; 25% gain in 15 minutes.

I also bought some CSUN today at $4.24; I could of got if for $4.14, but I decided to put in a limit order and I missed. I replaced it again with a higher value and misse again. Finally I changed it to $4.24 and got struck luckily. It went up to $4.80 but now is back down to $4.60. I hate limit orders on stocks, but must use them on options.

CSIQ was trading $15.94 15 minutes ago and now is already at $17.15. You may have missed your buying opportunity today. SOL also went from $4.60 to above $5.

Maybe tomorrow will provide another buying opportunity but there is just too much good solar news out there for these stocks to go in any direction buy up.

- - - Updated - - -

You might call it ignorance or luck, but I bought CSUN when they were 4% in the red, now they are up 14%

I would have bought that cheap as well, but I messed with limit orders and missed :p

- - - Updated - - -

I call it Eagle Eye. I decided to buy CSIQ when it was 4% down earlier as well.

So you did buy afterall, that is great.