Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow... Closed on last day of Q3. Thanks for sharing. By the way, when do you find the time to sleep? :)

This was exactly as expected. If you read my article you would know that they closed the sale of one plant on the last day of Q2 and announced it on July 2. Now they closed two plants on last day of Q3 and announced on Oct 2. These sales are to the exact same Trans Canada company.

Technically speaking this should not have any effect on the stock if you believe in even the weakest form of the efficient market hypothesis. I don't believe in it, but we will have to see what this news brings to CSIQ. Wall St. tends to be short sighted so I wouldn't be surprised if we break $20 very soon; I would say that maybe even today but the government shutdown will end up being a drag even on the solars sooner or later. Some good buying opportunities may come up in the next week or so. Solar has been pretty hot and profit taking will come one day.

This sale means an extra $100 million of revenue and $20m of gross profit in Q3 for CSIQ. The company will probably have EPS of $0.50 or so and that is what I see at a minimum for the company going forward at least until the end of 2014. If the solar industry continues to boom and CSIQ starts expanding capacity while signing new power plant deals, this stock might go really high next year.

Interested to see how the market reacts to this, but it has to be positive. I think we will see a bigger boost in the stock price once analysts start updating their Q3 models to include these sales (were not part of company guidance) or when CSIQ announces actual results.

There is always the chance that a lot of people in the market don't understand what these sales really mean and will blindly buy CSIQ thinking that they are signing new deals or something.

looks like the big loser this morning is TSL. I hope this is not the start of the pull back and it can recover.

Bought HSOL and YGE lottery tickets this morning on their opening dips. I did not own either of these prior which is why i bought some lottery tickets just to have some exposure.

looks like HSOL was a dud.
What is STRI?

http://www.strsolar.com/ It's a gamble. They have as much money as they're market cap is and they are 85% inst. ownded. They make products for the solar industry and claims that 20% of the markets uses theyre product. They are now mass producing theyre gen2 product. That is all I know. Pure gamble!

Deutsche Bank analyst Vishal Shah lists five reasons that China's solar demand could exceed expectations:
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com...ns-why-chinas-solar-demand-could-surprise-you

Global Solar Installation Growth Set to Hit Three-Year High in 2014
http://www.pvmarketresearch.com/pre...n_growth_set_to_hit_three_year_high_in_2014/5
Market revenue in 2014 will amount to slightly less than the all-time-high of $89 billion set in 2011.
“PV installations will accelerate in 2014 driven by low system prices, the creation of new markets in emerging regions and the continued growth in major countries such as the United States, Japan and China,” said Ash Sharma, senior research director for solar at IHS. “As the industry’s recovery accelerates and market revenue returns to near record levels, solar manufacturers will leave behind the turmoil of recent years and enjoy improved business conditions.”

Looks good. And guys, we really got to say thanks to sleepyhead who opened up our eyes and this thread for more than SCTY :)

And instead of losing money on SCTY past months atleast I have made alot on the other solar stocks

Last edited:
+1: Agreed. Never heard of CSIQ and JKS until Sleepy got me looking at them. So far, so VERY good. Thanks Sleepy!:wink:

If you are looking to hold JKS long term then you will most likely make bank. If it was a short term trade or if you bought options, then you might start considering selling your position. JKS already doubled in value since it had its breakout trade just under 3 months ago. It is now going to bump up against what looks like resistance in the $26 - $30 range.

Long term it is still a good buy, so I would recommend holding and not worrying about short term volatility. That said, I currently don't have any JKS exposure but that might change in the future. I am looking at buying up the laggards right now such as CSIQ.

A word of caution to everyone:

Even though it looks like the solar industry will be booming big time, there are still many unknowns and a lot of volatility in the future. There will be capital raising, and there will be 20% corrections.

If you are looking to make money then buy and hold is the best strategy. If you are playing front month call options and lose all of your money then don't come to this thread complaining that sleepyhead or Norse recommended that stock. But do share your story so that others can learn.

Happy investing. This is just the beginning.

I am calling 2014 the year of solar! (I am not talking about stock market returns here, but rather in general; return to profitability, product shortages, huge demand, supply capacity shortages :scared:, rising ASPs, etc.).

Again, agree 100% with sleepy. IMHO, with options, you want to give time for the trade to work out, especially with a volatile sector such as solar. Although it is an adrenaline rush to see short term options triple or quadruple, in my experience, it always leads to a disaster sooner or later. I strongly recommend you choose options which are 6-12 months out, and create risk free spreads when possible. Would hate to see anyone lose all their money trading options.

Again, agree 100% with sleepy. IMHO, with options, you want to give time for the trade to work out, especially with a volatile sector such as solar. Although it is an adrenaline rush to see short term options triple or quadruple, in my experience, it always leads to a disaster sooner or later. I strongly recommend you choose options which are 6-12 months out, and create risk free spreads when possible. Would hate to see anyone lose all their money trading options.

I agree, I mostly have money in stock. In my option portofolio however I have 85% in LEAPS, but also some fun money for companies like CSUNE.

If you are looking to hold JKS long term then you will most likely make bank. If it was a short term trade or if you bought options, then you might start considering selling your position. JKS already doubled in value since it had its breakout trade just under 3 months ago. It is now going to bump up against what looks like resistance in the $26 - $30 range.

Long term it is still a good buy, so I would recommend holding and not worrying about short term volatility. That said, I currently don't have any JKS exposure but that might change in the future.

QUOTE]

Got it. I was considering selling my JKS position (stock) and buying more CSIQ on a down turn....possibly debt ceiling pressure... All in IRA account so no worries with tax consequences.

Are you referring to TSLA or solar stocks? CSUN is definitely not part of that team. :crying:

The solar stock. No I think CSUN is heading for the hills.

Btw. In the article I posted earlier today. Notice on very important thing.
"Shah predicts Chinese solar demand could rise to 13-15 GW in 2014. Combined with Japan's surging market (which he pegs at 6-7 GW next year), those two Asian nations could account for almost half of total global shipments next year, which he says could reach 50 GW. (Which, he adds, would create a shortfall of polysilicon of around 40,000-45,000 metric tons.)"

also, Solar continues to rise in California: http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/det...o-rise-in-california_100012929/#ixzz2gbR9jbDv

Last edited:
The solar stock. No I think CSUN is heading for the hills.

Btw. In the article I posted earlier today. Notice on very important thing.
"Shah predicts Chinese solar demand could rise to 13-15 GW in 2014. Combined with Japan's surging market (which he pegs at 6-7 GW next year), those two Asian nations could account for almost half of total global shipments next year, which he says could reach 50 GW. (Which, he adds, would create a shortfall of polysilicon of around 40,000-45,000 metric tons.)"

also, Solar continues to rise in California: http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/det...o-rise-in-california_100012929/#ixzz2gbR9jbDv

I guess I should cut my losses with my CSUN calls soon. I wanted to see if it would bounce back a little by the end of the week.

As I mentioned before that I'm long CSIQ, JASO and SOL. I recently close my PNQI ETF position with some profit. Is it a good time to put that money towards SPWR or another solar stock? Or should I wait a bit for a correction on one of these stocks and add my position then?