Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to Norse and Sleepy, I bought APR 14 17 and 18 a week ago. They are doing great helping me offset my under-the-water TSLA calls. Hopefully those will be green too in a week or two.

I agree what APR 14 is the best one. I got some more JAN then APR calls, but thats cause I like to gamble. But we all noticed all the news that came out in the end of Q3, so Im hoping that will happen this time aswell. Im rather buying stock then buying JAN15 and JAN16.

Norse, sleepy, Dave T et al,

I used all of my remaining cash yesterday when tsla dropped to 174 and bought march 14' 250 calls. In hindsight, the better choice, of course, would have been to wait till today to buy tsla. The question I am currently wrestling with is to continue to hold these calls, or cut my losses and buy more solar (esp with the good news and upgrade on csiq). On one hand, buying tsla when I am feeling uneasy (ie buying in the face of fear) has often proven to be the right and profitable course of action, esp with earnings about 1 month away. On the other hand, I am beginning to see the enormous potential of solar that sleepy has been advocating for the past several months on this thread. The problem is, solar has been on fire over the last several weeks, and several of the charts look overextended, and thus, it would be more prudent to wait for a pullback, before adding to my positions in csiq, jaso, and spwr. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It is hard to say. TSLA is on a pullback and solar has been on a tear. Buy TSLA and sell Solar sounds like a logical play, but solar is so undervalued that it is hard to say when the next pullback will happen. TSLA on the other hand is in a state of limbo and impossible to tell if it won't continue going down.

I would have invested less than 40% of my money on the first TSLA pullback to have some cash if it continues to go down to buy more. Chances are TSLA will recover from this fire very shortly and people will forget about it. There is a risk the markets tumble next week and TSLA goes even further down. I really don't know and that is why I am waiting till next week to get into TSLA.

I have loaded up on solar and I see this thing taking of to the sun any time. It might happen within a month or it might take a whole year, but solar is going up for sure. I am all in on solar right now and think that it has plenty of room to run.

- - - Updated - - -

Running out of time to respond to everyone, so I am trying my best. Very busy right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Solars have been going straight up so I wouldn't be surprised if they consolidate or even pull back for the next week or so. I don't know for sure, but I am going to wait to test my theory and raise capital to buy more next week.

"Finally, Lazard hiked its price target on CSIQ by $5 to $25 ahead of the bell. The shares, which closed at $18.56 yesterday, are pointed 3% higher in pre-market action, after Canadian Solar Inc. said it sold two solar power plants to a fund managed by BlackRock, Inc. (NYSE:BLK). What's more, CSIQ touched a three-year high of $18.69 during Wednesday's session, after the firm unloaded two power plants to TransCanada Corporation (USA) (NYSE:TRP). Despite the security's quest for new highs, short interest skyrocketed by 42.6% during the past two reporting periods. Furthermore, just one analyst even follows the stock, offering up a "strong buy." A short-squeeze situation or bullish analyst initiations could translate into a contrarian boon for CSIQ"

It is hard to say. TSLA is on a pullback and solar has been on a tear. Buy TSLA and sell Solar sounds like a logical play, but solar is so undervalued that it is hard to say when the next pullback will happen. TSLA on the other hand is in a state of limbo and impossible to tell if it won't continue going down.

I would have invested less than 40% of my money on the first TSLA pullback to have some cash if it continues to go down to buy more. Chances are TSLA will recover from this fire very shortly and people will forget about it. There is a risk the markets tumble next week and TSLA goes even further down. I really don't know and that is why I am waiting till next week to get into TSLA.

I have loaded up on solar and I see this thing taking of to the sun any time. It might happen within a month or it might take a whole year, but solar is going up for sure. I am all in on solar right now and think that it has plenty of room to run.

- - - Updated - - -

Running out of time to respond to everyone, so I am trying my best. Very busy right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Solars have been going straight up so I wouldn't be surprised if they consolidate or even pull back for the next week or so. I don't know for sure, but I am going to wait to test my theory and raise capital to buy more next week.

Sleepy,

thanks for your input as always.

Looks like the solar pullback is over. Lately the pullbacks have been lasting only 15 minutes, before bouncing back up.

I still see some uncertainty going into next week and that is why I expect a short 1-2 week consolidation period before taking off again once the "risk-on" trade resumes.

Remember that there is a lot of capital sitting on the sidelines, because people have been selling off in the past two weeks. Once the debt limit is raised I expect to see these markets in full rally mode again. Strong possibility that the idle capital goes right back into solar and maybe even TSLA once the dust settles.

Looks like the solar pullback is over. Lately the pullbacks have been lasting only 15 minutes, before bouncing back up.

I still see some uncertainty going into next week and that is why I expect a short 1-2 week consolidation period before taking off again once the "risk-on" trade resumes.

Remember that there is a lot of capital sitting on the sidelines, because people have been selling off in the past two weeks. Once the debt limit is raised I expect to see these markets in full rally mode again. Strong possibility that the idle capital goes right back into solar and maybe even TSLA once the dust settles.

Sleepy,

You have been advocating csiq and spwr in your recent posts. With these Chinese solar companies, they seem to move up/down in tandem. Is it worth diversifying by buying a bunch of them, or just stick to the ones which show the most promise? Given the recent run up over the last several days, which of the Chinese companies (jaso, jks, sol, yge, tsl)do you think are still attractive besides csiq? Thanks!

Sleepy,

You have been advocating csiq and spwr in your recent posts. With these Chinese solar companies, they seem to move up/down in tandem. Is it worth diversifying by buying a bunch of them, or just stick to the ones which show the most promise? Given the recent run up over the last several days, which of the Chinese companies (jaso, jks, sol, yge, tsl)do you think are still attractive besides csiq? Thanks!

A rising tide lifts all ships in this industry. Go with the laggards, whoever has lagged the others the most in the recent past of 1-2 months.

Diversification is good. SPWR has the cheapest options so I would start there. But the Chinese will probably have the biggest returns as far as stock price is concerned; options are a different story.

China and US cut back on wind power but boosts solar power
The slowdown in world’s two largest wind markets, China and the US, is opening the way for the rapidly growing PV market to overtake wind.

Module price index: pv-magazine
major manufacturers in China are under no pressure to sell. They are increasingly selling their products, often at higher prices, to clients outside Europe, some even achieving record quarterly sales figures.

Bond strategy: Sell Treasurys, buy … solar, like Buffett?

sleepy, you have any beat on TSL? This $16 price is showing major resistance.
i am not a chartist but a quick look at it looks like its consolidating to make a run at $20. i say that purely because of the $15-16 support i see in the fall it took back in mid 2011. The stock's history shows alot of sticking points and support points around each $5 increment. So it could have a break out to $20 brewing.

Last edited:
What is the best site to follow the market? I see different sites shows different volume and market caps. And look at JASO, Google says they have market cap of 86m, while yahoo says 405m.

Thanks for the links Borat99, I would also like to into solar the way Buffet does. Maybe we could get together and buy one after some profit in 2014? :D

Last edited: