Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to take my first “road trip”. Will be driving from the Tampa area in Florida to the Disney area in Orlando.
(Not what you might expect....not going to Disney going to a Publix for the COVID vaccination.) and unfortunately the timing will put us right in the middle of drive to work time.

Bottom line all the route planners I have checked show the preferred route to be Interstate 4 east. If you’ve ever traveled that portion of the state during rush hours you will understand why I would like to use a different route!

Apple Maps shows a more northern route that is slightly longer but does avoid Interstate 4. Is there a way to make alternate route choices in the car’s navigation system?

One thing I thought about was to just start the northern route on my own after putting in the destination and at some point the nav system would update and recalculate the route?

Yes this would be the way to do that. I made the I-4 Tampa to Orlando trip starting off at 95% charge and made it home with 17% and going 80mph.

I’ve never been on Interstate 4 when the traffic was good.
Traffic wasnt bad on Sunday Morning when I went :)

Well that was an adventure. I did take Interstate 4, the traffic wasn’t as bad as usual but several slowdowns near municipalities. Using Navigate on Auto Pilot makes things so much easier.

The adventure began as we missed an exit and had to navigate the entrance to Disney World! So at this point I can say we went to Disney today and didn’t have to pay at the gate. Ha ha. It just added about twenty minutes to our arrival time.

On a separate note. The stated starting mileage 320mi was not even close to being accurate. We traveled about 193 mi and it showed 72 miles remaining. So my real range would have been less than 260, no where near 320. Not really an issue but just the first time I’ve had to deal with it.

After that I may switch to % of battery remains on the display. I wouldn’t want to accidentally rely on the stated mileage.

I periodically make a trip to Tampa from Fort Myers that is about 265 miles round trip. There is no way I can make it on I75 without stopping at the Brandon supercharger. I'd estimate that I get around 240 miles on a charge on the interstate. My average speed on I75 is around 80. I was hoping for a longer run on a charge.

Well that was an adventure. I did take Interstate 4, the traffic wasn’t as bad as usual but several slowdowns near municipalities. Using Navigate on Auto Pilot makes things so much easier.

The adventure began as we missed an exit and had to navigate the entrance to Disney World! So at this point I can say we went to Disney today and didn’t have to pay at the gate. Ha ha. It just added about twenty minutes to our arrival time.

On a separate note. The stated starting mileage 320mi was not even close to being accurate. We traveled about 193 mi and it showed 72 miles remaining. So my real range would have been less than 260, no where near 320. Not really an issue but just the first time I’ve had to deal with it.

After that I may switch to % of battery remains on the display. I wouldn’t want to accidentally rely on the stated mileage.

For an accurate range you need to look at the projected range on the energy screen which does more calculations for your trip. I switched to % and just map where I am going everytime.