Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternatives for screen tap actions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2019 Tesla Model 3 and now a 2022 Tesla Model X. There are some screen "tap" features on the 3 that, of course, don't make sense on the X since you can't tap on the driver's display, but I'm wondering if there are alternatives that I am missing:
  1. Speed limit adjust by tapping on speed limit symbol. Scenario: you enabled Autopilot in a 35 zone, speed is set to say 36MPH. You enter a 45 zone, speed will still be set to 36MPH. On the Model 3 you can tap the speed limit sign and it will update your max speed. Apparently you can also pull down on the stalk but I never actually used it that way. NB: I know this is moot with FSD since it updates by itself, but still wondering if there's an alternative for non-FSD mode.
  2. Toggle between battery percentage and miles. On the 3 you can tap the battery icon and toggle the display between percentage and miles.
TIA.

Thanks. Unless I misunderstand what you mean, I'm not asking for a way to increase or decrease the speed, I'm asking for a way to update the max speed with a single tap, if you see what I mean. But I suppose if you have an S or an X you *don't* see what I mean :)
The effect is the same, resetting the max speed. Honestly I have both a Model 3 and a Model X. Flicking the the scroll wheel is superior IMO, which is what I do in my 3. It can be done without looking away from outside. I've never had a desire to switch away from battery %. So I do not miss that (the range number is a made up number anyway and rarely exhibits reality).

Ah okay I don't think you understand what I'm saying then. In the Model 3 when I tap the speed limit sign it doesn't increase the speed by one mile an hour or decrease the speed by 1 mph, it jumps to whatever my max speed setting is. So in my case I set it to 3% over the speed limit. If I am in a 25 zone my Max Speed will be 26 mph. If I move into a 45 zone the max speed will be calculated to 47 mph. But the car is still going 26. So with one tap I can go from 26 mph to 47 mph, not multiple scrolling clicks on the scroll wheel.

Ah okay I don't think you understand what I'm saying then. In the Model 3 when I tap the speed limit sign it doesn't increase the speed by one mile an hour or decrease the speed by 1 mph, it jumps to whatever my max speed setting is. So in my case I set it to 3% over the speed limit. If I am in a 25 zone my Max Speed will be 26 mph. If I move into a 45 zone the max speed will be calculated to 47 mph. But the car is still going 26. So with one tap I can go from 26 mph to 47 mph, not multiple scrolling clicks on the scroll wheel.
I understand what you’re saying, and I’d suspect they do too. What I’m hearing them say, and what I’d, is I don’t know if a way to do that in the X other than using the scroll wheel.

I understand what you’re saying, and I’d suspect they do too. What I’m hearing them say, and what I’d, is I don’t know if a way to do that in the X other than using the scroll wheel.
That's fair. "No" or "I don't know" are perfectly valid answers! :) And I should have been more clear in my first post, I wasn't really looking for "similar" features, I was just wondering if the exact same feature was available in a different way.
If you spin it, it increments the Max Speed by 5.
I've been playing more with the scroll wheel and I have a better understanding of how it works. When you flick it quickly, it doesn't actually increase or decrease by 5 mph. What it does is jump to the next 5 mph increment. So for example if you're going 32, and you flick the wheel up, it jumps to 35. That's interesting, I never noticed that before and good to know 👍

I've been playing more with the scroll wheel and I have a better understanding of how it works. When you flick it quickly, it doesn't actually increase or decrease by 5 mph. What it does is jump to the next 5 mph increment. So for example if you're going 32, and you flick the wheel up, it jumps to 35. That's interesting, I never noticed that before and good to know
Yep, just like it says in the owners manual.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bigtuna00