Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alto A2124 Hitch Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently working with Safari Condo re: the A2124 and the Weigh Safe Hitch. I bought the hitch and when I hook it up -- even pointed up (out of spec) the top of the ball is only 17", which is less than the recommended 20" for the Safari Condo A2124. How do you @ecarfan -- how do you deal with this? I take it your trailer isn't level.
myhitch.png

I am currently working with Safari Condo re: the A2124 and the Weigh Safe Hitch. I bought the hitch and when I hook it up -- even pointed up (out of spec) the top of the ball is only 17", which is less than the recommended 20" for the Safari Condo A2124. How do you @ecarfan -- how do you deal with this? I take it your trailer isn't level.
My trailer is very close to level. See my avatar photo. :D I orient my WeighSafe hitch with the vertical bar pointing down. Go to this page Towing with a Tesla . Then scroll down to see close up photos of my hitch. The Bosal hitch that is part of the Model X towing package option specifies that the base of the hitch ball cannot be more than 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver. When using the Weigh Safe hitch ball that means mounting it pointing down.

Last edited:
We are thinking of getting a Alto 2124 to tow behind our X. We are visiting the factory Monday.

This may be a dumb question. What is the advantage of the WeighSafe hitch over just a plain 2" hitch? I get I have to weigh the tongue but i can do that with a household scale, right?

It's $260 vs. c. $25

What is the advantage of the WeighSafe hitch over just a plain 2" hitch? I get I have to weigh the tongue but i can do that with a household scale, right?
Yes you can. And if you always load your trailer the same weigh (same load distribution fore and aft of the axle) and nothing changes then you can use the scale once in your driveway with the trailer loaded exactly as you would for a trip and then you will know the tongue weight.

But in real life your trailer load weight distribution and amount can vary. And then to be safe you have to get your scale out again and check the tongue weight. And you would carry the scale with you while you travel.

With the WeighSafe, whenever you want to check your tongue weight you just read the scale on the hitch. It’s very convenient. No need to take any extra equipment with you.

After your visit to the Safari Condo showroom in Quebec you could post in this thread Camping Trailer Selection for Model X and give your impression of the Alto F2114 trailer after you see it, and any questions you have about towing it. TMC member @AltoGrayhound bought that trailer and has posted in that thread about towing it.

Am currently on the road with my trailer. Spent 3 nights earlier this week at Sycamore Canyon Campground in Point Mugu State Park (in California, near Malibu). Nice little campground (though sites not suitable for anything over 20 ft, in my opinion) close to the beach and convenient to some nice hiking trails in the Santa Monica Mountains.

5A8B0A92-D3A1-44A7-943B-F0A315761A19.jpeg

On the Serrano Creek Trail.

31F7A5D3-D992-4074-8834-64839AA27F74.jpeg

The campground is in this grove of sycamore trees.

532EFBDC-8BDD-430C-BA4A-D9BC5CB14108.jpeg

D5B6785F-C88A-4B52-BF0A-F993CE7FCDAF.jpeg

Reactions: ohmman and OBX John
My trailer is very close to level. See my avatar photo. :D I orient my WeighSafe hitch with the vertical bar pointing down. Go to this page Towing with a Tesla . Then scroll down to see close up photos of my hitch. The Bosal hitch that is part of the Model X towing package option specifies that the base of the hitch ball cannot be more than 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver. When using the Weigh Safe hitch ball that means mounting it pointing down.

I think the height of the 17' trailer is about 17" while the 21' trailer is closer to 20". Hmm -- an inch higher per foot longer? Almost. Anyway, Safari Condo seems real bent on keeping the trailer level and NOT modifying the trailer hitch to do so. Jacking up the weigh safe would be easy but would probably produce too much torque on the hitch receiver.

I think the height of the 17' trailer is about 17" while the 21' trailer is closer to 20"
Interesting, I did not realize that. I don’t know why Safari Condo made the ground clearance of the A2124 model so much higher than the F1743. The higher ground clearance effectively means a larger frontal area, which is not an advantage aerodynamically speaking.
Safari Condo seems real bent on keeping the trailer level and NOT modifying the trailer hitch to do so. Jacking up the weigh safe would be easy but would probably produce too much torque on the hitch receiver.
If you get the electric-only fridge (which I have) you don’t need to be concerned about keeping the trailer perfectly level as far as I know. My understanding is that the propane fridge needs to be kept level. Other than that, I would think it would not be a problem if the trailer was not perfectly level.

I suggest you post a question to @AltoGrayhound in his thread about towing his A2124 with his X and ask what hitch ball he is using and how he dealt with the Bosal spec that requires that the base of the hitch ball cannot be more than 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver. Here is his thread Model X towing a Safari Condo A-2124 trailer

I was at the Safari Condo showroom last Monday to look at the 2124. Nice rig, we really liked it.

They mentioned that the X is low (17"), yet they recommended 20-21" for the ball. They also suggested using their weight bearing hitch insteal of the Tesla hitch. Was not particularly clear to me why. No, it was not a salesperson just trying to increase the sale either.

Propane fridges really do like to be level (I've had them in off-grid houses for years), but hadn't thought about the slope on a trailer. An all electric fridge is usually much more efficient than dual fuel, as the electricity is used is a simple resistance heater instead of a heat pump. I wasn't aware that electric-only was an option.

No hard decisions made yet.

Electric only isn't an option on the 21' trailers. When talking with AltoGrayhound he wondered if one could just get two of the smaller DC fridges. That wasn't an option when we speced ours out. Even though we have propane (dual fuel / three way actually -- DC power, shore power, or propane), we'll not be using propane at all when traveling.

AltoGrayhound has a weight distribution hitch and it keeps his high enough. I don't want to deal with that hassle. Here's his set up -- a photo he provided to me.
image002.png

So I assume he is not using the Tesla provided Bosal hitch, because the position of the hitch ball in that photo is far above the Bosal spec of 0.75”.

If you don’t want to deal with a WD hitch then I recommend a lighter trailer such as the F1743. Even the F2114 at 2,356 lbs dry is likely going to be heavy enough when loaded to need a WD hitch.
AltoGrayhound has a weight distribution hitch and it keeps his high enough. I don't want to deal with that hassle. Here's his set up -- a photo he provided to me.
View attachment 485887

So I assume he is not using the Tesla provided Bosal hitch, because the position of the hitch ball in that photo is far above the Bosal spec of 0.75”.

If you don’t want to deal with a WD hitch then I recommend a lighter trailer such as the F1743. Even the F2114 at 2,356 lbs dry is likely going to be heavy enough when loaded to need a WD hitch.

From what I've read here and elsewhere A WD hitch isn't required if the weight of the trailer is 1/2 that of the car. The 2124 is a little less than 1/2. Maybe loaded it gets closer. The self adjusting suspension of the Tesla should keep things balanced out and the headlights from pointing at the sky -- the general reason for a WDH.

We are getting the A2124 and we'll make it work. No interest now in the shorter less aerodynamic trailers.

From what I've read here and elsewhere A WD hitch isn't required if the weight of the trailer is 1/2 that of the car. The 2124 is a little less than 1/2. Maybe loaded it is a little closer.
According to Safari Condo, the dry weight of the A2124 is 2556. Add in water in the tanks and everything else you load up a trailer with and it is very likely more than 50% of the weight of your Model X with two people. Which is why @AltoGrayhound is using a WD hitch to tow his A2124.

The self adjusting suspension of the Tesla should keep things balanced out and the headlights from pointing at the sky -- the general reason for a WDH.
That is not the main reason for a WD hitch. It’s about safety, not just headlight angle. See How Weight Distribution Hitches Work (And Why You Need One)

QUOTE:
—————————————————————————————————
there are tell-tale signs when you need to add a weight distribution hitch. For example, standard rear-mounted hitches only transfer the trailer’s weight to the tow vehicle’s rear axle.

This causes the tow vehicle to sag and takes the weight off the front axle. This, in turn, causes many dangerous ride characteristics including:

• Lack of stopping power, steering control, and traction
  • An increased chance of trailer sway
  • Poor headlight illumination on the road
  • An increased chance of body roll
In simple terms, a weight distribution hitch corrects all of this. Rather than the rear axle of the tow vehicle taking on all of the weight of the trailer, a weight distribution hitch transfers the weight evenly across the frame of the trailer and the frame of the tow vehicle.
—————————————————————————————————-

I hope you have read this TMC thread about WD hitches and towing with the X: Towing - Weight Distribution Hitch compatibility

The other issue you are going to have with the A2124 and the stock Bosal hitch is the spec does not allow the top of the hitch ball to be more than 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver. You are going to need to find a different hitch.

Last edited:
I hope you have read this TMC thread about WD hitches and towing with the X: Towing - Weight Distribution Hitch compatibility

The other issue you are going to have with the A2124 and the stock Bosal hitch is the spec does not allow the top of the hitch ball to be more than 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver. You are going to need to find a different hitch.

I read that whole discussion and I'm still confused. To WDH or not -- that is the question. We have the stock Tesla receiver -- I guess that's what is being called the Bosal hitch (receiver)? In that other thread someone mentioned the DrawTite WD hitch, which is something that plugs into a receiver, not instead of it, adding to my confusion. We have the Tesla 100D. We have the official Tesla Hitch receiver. I did buy the Weigh Safe 4" drop (lift) hitch to use with it to pull our A2124. I am concerned with the structural integrity of the Tesla hitch system lasting a) if I use my current hitch; b) if I use a weight distribution system. So, both ways cause me concern right now. Perhaps I'm looking for the perfect answer when indeed there is no perfect black/white answer.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I do appreciate how the terminology can be confusing, because when I was new to towing just two years ago I found it confusing as well. And in this thread we are discussing two different but related topics: hitch ball height when using the Bosal hitch and whether or not to use a weight distribution hitch.
We have the stock Tesla receiver -- I guess that's what is being called the Bosal hitch (receiver)?
The X comes standard with a Bosal hitch. The “receiver”, the 2”x2” opening) is the piece that you attach a hitch ball to

In that other thread someone mentioned the DrawTite WD hitch, which is something that plugs into a receiver, not instead of it, adding to my confusion.
The DrawTite hitch is made by a different company. It too has a “receiver” just like the Bosal. The DrawTite does not “plug” into a receiver. The hitch assembly is under the X rear bumper cover and bolts into the frame of the car. The receiver is part of the hitch. It’s the part you see, the part that you plug the hitch ball into (your WeighSafe ball). Most of the hitch you cannot see unless you remove the bumper cover.

I did buy the Weigh Safe 4" drop (lift) hitch to use with it to pull our A2124.
The Weigh Safe you purchased is a “hitch ball” which plugs into the hitch receiver. The trailer tongue is then attached to the hitch ball.

I am concerned with the structural integrity of the Tesla hitch system lasting a) if I use my current hitch; b) if I use a weight distribution system.
I will try to summarize my understanding of this.

Two years ago, member @ohmman initially used the Bosal with added weight distribution (WD) bars to tow his Airstream 22FB, which weighs over 3,600 lbs, based on Tesla’s specs saying the X with the Bosal hitch could handle trailers up to 5,000 lbs and a 500 lb tongue weight. But he found that his Bosal hitch loosened up and in his opinion became unsafe. After consulting with Tesla and researching the situation, he realized that the Bosal hitch that comes with the X is a “weight bearing” hitch and is not to be used with WD bars.

He then replaced his Bosal with a different hitch made by DrawTite which is specifically designed for WD. He has had no problem with it and recommends it.

I tow my my 17’ Alto trailer, which weighs about 2,200 lbs loaded, with the Bosal hitch that came with my X. Since my X weighs close to 6,000 lbs with my spouse and I in it I do not use WD. My Bosal hitch has not loosened up after more than 10,000 miles of towing. It seems to be fine.

@ohmman uses a DrawTite hitch with WD because his trailer is much heavier, well over 50% of the weight of his X.

I am recommending that if you get an Alto A2124 you use a WD hitch like the DrawTite because of the weight of that trailer when loaded. The dry weight is 2,556 lbs with no options, loaded weight with water and food and stuff is likely over 3,000 lbs. Options like the AC heat pump, caravan mover, etc. add weight. The Bosal hitch that comes with the X is not designed to be used with WD.

The height of the hitch ball when using the Bosal is what we started out talking about in this thread, and as I stated above, Bosal specifically says that the base of the hitch ball cannot be more than 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver.

The photo you posted of how @AltoGrayhound has his trailer connected to what appears to be the Bosal hitch shows the hitch ball height is well outside the Bosal spec. I think trailer hitch specifications should be followed. It’s a question of towing safety and the safety of those on the road with you.

I do not know how to make an Alto A2124 level when towing with the Bosal hitch that comes with the X. It appears to me that a different hitch should be used for two reasons: to make the trailer level and because that trailer will weigh more than half the weight of the tow vehicle.

@ecarfan thank you for the summary. That does at least explain things better and I can understand the points. When I did a google search of Draw Tight hitch I mistakenly thought they looked like WDH but now that I google again, I see what you're talking about.

@AltoGrayhound is using the Bosal with a WD hitch from the photo above. He has a later Model X, such as I do. Perhaps there isn't a problem -- so far. I really need to ping him again to see how he is doing with his setup. I don't really want to swap out my Bosal unless it is really necessary. It looks like the Draw Tight is only $200 -- but then there's the whole installation thing. Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Draw-Tite Trailer Hitc

@AltoGrayhound is using the Bosal with a WD hitch from the photo above. He has a later Model X, such as I do. Perhaps there isn't a problem -- so far
I would phrase it as “...is using the stock Bosal hitch with a ball that is out of spec and that allows for the use of WD bars on a hitch that is not designed for WD”.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
I would phrase it as “...is using the stock Bosal hitch with a ball that is out of spec and that allows for the use of WD bars on a hitch that is not designed for WD”.
I'll throw my two cents in here too, hgpayne. I also have an Airstream trailer towed by my 2016 Model X 90D (see my avatar). We used a weight distribution setup with our stock Bosal hitch, and as happened to ohmman, we had two Bosal hitches loosen in their socket when in use. We replaced our Bosal with the Draw Tite and have had no further problems while towing with the weight distribution system. I appreciate ecarfan's summary above, and am waiting to see Tesla's future Cybertruck and its hitch system. All the best, Jim

• Informative
Reactions: hgpayne
@ecarfan thank you for the summary. That does at least explain things better and I can understand the points. When I did a google search of Draw Tight hitch I mistakenly thought they looked like WDH but now that I google again, I see what you're talking about.

@AltoGrayhound is using the Bosal with a WD hitch from the photo above. He has a later Model X, such as I do. Perhaps there isn't a problem -- so far. I really need to ping him again to see how he is doing with his setup. I don't really want to swap out my Bosal unless it is really necessary. It looks like the Draw Tight is only $200 -- but then there's the whole installation thing. Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Draw-Tite Trailer Hitc

hppayne, So what did you decide to do? I, too, want to buy a A2124 for my X 100D. The sales person was quite insistent that having the trailer sit on the 17" ball, instead of a 20" ball, was wrong. I don't see why, but I'm not the expert. I, too, have the Weigh Ball, and have it set up by about 3/4".

I am slightly reluctant to go full 3rd party WDH, as I hope to have the Cybtrck in 22 or 23, probably sell the X. Information on these boards seem a bit contradictory.

I'll throw my two cents in here too, hgpayne. I also have an Airstream trailer towed by my 2016 Model X 90D (see my avatar). We used a weight distribution setup with our stock Bosal hitch, and as happened to ohmman, we had two Bosal hitches loosen in their socket when in use. We replaced our Bosal with the Draw Tite and have had no further problems while towing with the weight distribution system. I appreciate ecarfan's summary above, and am waiting to see Tesla's future Cybertruck and its hitch system. All the best, Jim

How long (hours or miles) does it take to damage the hitch? I’m towing for the first time with my X next weekend. It’s a rented unit and it will be all of the 5000 pounds. I’ll tow it an hour and a half each way. But I know it will be on a weight distribution hitch.

Normally, I’d get something lighter, but for this trip we needed a big unit.

Electric only isn't an option on the 21' trailers.
Thanks for pointing that out, I did not realize that. Just checked the Alto spec sheet at https://safaricondo.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/fiches_safari_condo-ALto-ANG.pdf and you are indeed correct. The only fridge offered for the F2114, A2124 and F2414 models is the 3-way propane, which requires the trailer to be kept very close to level when operating. It does not need to be kept level while towing and turned off, but during long drives in hot weather I see that as a disadvantage since the interior of the fridge might warm up too much. See How important is leveling for an RV absorption fridge? - RV Travel . I keep my electric fridge powered 24/7 even when parked at home (On a significant incline, by the way) so it stays cleaner inside.
I, too, want to buy a A2124 for my X 100D. The sales person was quite insistent that having the trailer sit on the 17" ball, instead of a 20" ball, was wrong. I don't see why, but I'm not the expert.
It may be because of what I wrote just above. Otherwise, I think it’s would be okay to have the trailer be slightly nose down while towing.

Again, in my F1743 I have the electric fridge instead of the 3-way propane and the way I position my WeighSafe ball (pointing down) means my trailer is level while towing. I chose the electric fridge because it doesn’t burn fossil fuel, has a significantly larger capacity than the propane version, and can operate with the trailer off-level. Also, I’m not thrilled about the idea of having toxic ammonia in my rig.

@hgpayne have you placed your A2124 order and made a hitch decision yet?

Last edited: