Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am at a loss: is the $2k FSD offer going away on Monday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I... I... I just can’t...

What a freakin poop show. I mean... what!?

I’ve been pretty quiet about the sudden and seemingly thoughtless / careless price changes but ye gads, what the hell is going on over there?

ANYWAY, a 50% discount is VERY tempting. However I will wait until the Model Y reveal to see if Elon makes any other announcements such as an availability date for V3 computer upgrade, when the first FSD features start rolling out, etc. If Tesla demonstrates any FSD features during the Model Y event or has at least some info on when FSD hardware/features will become available that may just manage to get me off the fence.

However I will wait until the Model Y reveal to see if Elon makes any other announcements such as an availability date for V3 computer upgrade, when the first FSD features start rolling out, etc. If Tesla demonstrates any FSD features during the Model Y event or has at least some info on when FSD hardware/features will become available that may just manage to get me off the fence.

LOL. I mean, even if you wait for "any other announcements" can you trust any of them anyway? So many announcements, proclamations, claims, deadlines, etc. regarding EAP & FSD have come and gone unfulfilled to date. It's all a leap of faith at this point.

Also, when asked about FSD and HW3, there was silence.

Elon did reply to a tweet from Fred at Electrek about whether purchasing FSD now means an included upgrade to the version 3 AP computer: Elon Musk on Twitter

9F6E6923-39B8-4418-A931-2DB379EB8315.jpeg

Reactions: McFlurri
Did anyone notice this follow up tweet from Elon?

“When prices go down, those who already bought want the lower price, but, if prices go up, those who already bought don’t want to write Tesla a check. So it goes.”

Also, when asked about FSD and HW3, there was silence.

He later said "correct" to someone who stated that HW3 upgraded would be included with FSD package. Still seems weird its not just explicitly stated on the Tesla website though.

Reactions: McFlurri
He later said "correct" to someone who stated that HW3 upgraded would be included with FSD package. Still seems weird its not just explicitly stated on the Tesla website though.

Yeah, I am at the “I’ll believe it when I see it” stage on the HW 3 upgrade. It has never been mentioned on Tesla’s website that I recall, only in tweets and statements by Elon in the investor call.

Did anyone notice this follow up tweet from Elon?

“When prices go down, those who already bought want the lower price, but, if prices go up, those who already bought don’t want to write Tesla a check. So it goes.”

Well, he kind of made his own bed there when they did the $5k refund. That set expectations that Tesla WOULD consider refunding people for price drops after the sale. He should have just weathered that storm and not refunded anyone.

<ContrarianView>

This is for people who already have EAP and might be considering the FSD package at $2K before Monday.

It doesn't matter to me that it's "on sale" for 50% off. Look at WHAT is on sale: Exactly nothing. The FSD package, right now, consists of absolutely nothing. No functionality at all. I will not be taken in by promises of future functionality, such as the vague "later this year" statement about traffic light and stop sign recognition.

Even if such functionality is rolled out, will it be usable? I got my first Model S in early 2015, and in late 2015 we saw the first rollout of Autosteer with AP1. Only last year did we see Autosteer get to the point where the lane-keeping is pretty dead reliable and can be trusted for the most part. That's a 3 year evolution.

If you're optimistic and believe that FSD functionality would follow the same functionality and maturity curve as simple lane-keeping, then a rollout of initial FSD functions like traffic light and stop sign recognition in late 2019 means that by late 2022 that functionality might be usable and trustworthy.

Musk himself has said that FSD will require HW3, which you supposedly will get upgraded to for free when the time comes that it's necessary. No guarantee of that either. They could decide that giving it away is too costly, and make you pay for it, or you can keep HW 2.5 for reduced functionality.

While you're waiting on the functionality, the $2K is depreciating. By 2022, maybe Audi / Mercedes / BMW / Porsche has a viable competitor and you want to switch anyway.

$2000 spent on FSD right now has no current value, no resale value, gets you no functionality, and no hardware.

My advice: $2000 cash has a current value. Exchange it only for something that has equivalent current value, not potential future value. FSD functionality won't be more valuable in the future -- as other automakers begin rolling out their solutions, it will have less future value. Think about that.

</ContrarianView>

<ContrarianView>

This is for people who already have EAP and might be considering the FSD package at $2K before Monday.

It doesn't matter to me that it's "on sale" for 50% off. Look at WHAT is on sale: Exactly nothing. The FSD package, right now, consists of absolutely nothing. No functionality at all. I will not be taken in by promises of future functionality, such as the vague "later this year" statement about traffic light and stop sign recognition.

Even if such functionality is rolled out, will it be usable? I got my first Model S in early 2015, and in late 2015 we saw the first rollout of Autosteer with AP1. Only last year did we see Autosteer get to the point where the lane-keeping is pretty dead reliable and can be trusted for the most part. That's a 3 year evolution.

If you're optimistic and believe that FSD functionality would follow the same functionality and maturity curve as simple lane-keeping, then a rollout of initial FSD functions like traffic light and stop sign recognition in late 2019 means that by late 2022 that functionality might be usable and trustworthy.

Musk himself has said that FSD will require HW3, which you supposedly will get upgraded to for free when the time comes that it's necessary. No guarantee of that either. They could decide that giving it away is too costly, and make you pay for it, or you can keep HW 2.5 for reduced functionality.

While you're waiting on the functionality, the $2K is depreciating. By 2022, maybe Audi / Mercedes / BMW / Porsche has a viable competitor and you want to switch anyway.

$2000 spent on FSD right now has no current value, no resale value, gets you no functionality, and no hardware.

My advice: $2000 cash has a current value. Exchange it only for something that has equivalent current value, not potential future value. FSD functionality won't be more valuable in the future -- as other automakers begin rolling out their solutions, it will have less future value. Think about that.

</ContrarianView>

This is well said. The issue right now is an emotional one for folks. And a fear of missing out on this price again. I'd be lying if I said I am not very tempted to pull the trigger while sharing the same thoughts as you.

But I'm definitely not making any decisions until I see the Model Y.

The issue right now is an emotional one for folks. And a fear of missing out on this price again.

That's the thing. I almost guarantee that no one will be missing out on this price. By the time FSD actually becomes a consumer-purchasable reality, the competition will be there which will drive prices down. A future car (be it Tesla or any other manufacturer) at some point is going to have FSD simply "built-in" where you don't pay any extra for it.

That's how far away the functionality is. Literally years. And that's just the technical side. We will also have a regulatory delay in there as well.

Investing money for something up front only makes sense if your investment appreciates. Nothing in the automobile world appreciates, it always depreciates.

It's called a sale.

A sale is when a business cuts prices on an item, either temporarily or (in the case of physical items) until the item is out of stock.

Sales are quite a common thing in the business world.

I would agree if it seemed like any of this was actually planned. The way all of these price adjustments have come so rapidly has the appearance of sloppiness with little advanced planning. While it may seem like a sale to some, the way all of this has been handled by Tesla doesn’t seem like a sale to me.

This is well said. The issue right now is an emotional one for folks. And a fear of missing out on this price again. I'd be lying if I said I am not very tempted to pull the trigger while sharing the same thoughts as you.

But I'm definitely not making any decisions until I see the Model Y.

Exactly what everyone of us have in mind. I brought the AP for just under $3000, very good price, and I can see the value right away. Do I need the other CURRENT features of FSD, no. Thanks.

Am I tempted to upgrade to FSD for additional $4000 + tax, of course I am. However, I have nothing to show for as I don't use those current features in FSD to justify it.

So I will take a look at Model Y and see what other announcements they have.

My gut feeling is I will skip FSD for now.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
That's the thing. I almost guarantee that no one will be missing out on this price. By the time FSD actually becomes a consumer-purchasable reality, the competition will be there which will drive prices down. A future car (be it Tesla or any other manufacturer) at some point is going to have FSD simply "built-in" where you don't pay any extra for it.

That's how far away the functionality is. Literally years. And that's just the technical side. We will also have a regulatory delay in there as well.

Investing money for something up front only makes sense if your investment appreciates. Nothing in the automobile world appreciates, it always depreciates.
Just a point of clarification, are we talking about level 5 FSD. Or are we talking about level 2 FSD (if one could even call such a thing that legally).

Reactions: 2012MS85