Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy - long trip towing boat upcoming....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right - trip was last Friday, the very short answer is I made it, a short summary below if anyone is interested. I've tried to uploand a couple of photos..

The boat on trailer is quite tall, above the line of the car, but more aero than a slab fronted trailer undoubtably.. Chilly day (by UK standards not Canadian!), the journey down was around 2-degrees C, then with the boat the max I saw was 7 degrees C

First stop was Exeter where fortunately the configuration and quietness of car park enabled an unhitched charge. The short 40 miles to Exeter with boat were average 700wh/m, bang on my number for making the longer stretches.. I charged to I think it was 96% as by then it was so slow...

The M5 to Michaelwood was cruise set at 60mph, which was ideal as hooking to the back of a truck meant a flat 58mph speed. Got to Michaelwood with 7% SoC having averaged around 640wh/m

Essentially that set the template, but a diversion from the M54 Before Telford meant pulling in at 2%, which given the charge was dropping basically at a % a mile was a little close for comfort... Fortunately the chargers were all quiet so I managed to charge all without unhitching which was great, and one of us stayed with car at all times in case it caused an issue, but there were always free ones available. Flint the easiest way was simply to drive the car behind the charger

Got to Anglesey 02.30 having lefy my house at 08.30 the day before, 580 miles covered, 395 of those with boat. Overall average 650wh/m. Essentially a 100 mile range on 100%... Glad it was a one off...

View attachment 761272View attachment 761274
I'm sure that will prove to be invaluable information for others contemplating towing trips. Good that it was at low temperatures too. Do you know the combined weight of the boat plus motor plus trailer combination? [Edit: And is the trailer braked?]

Last edited:
I'm sure that will prove to be invaluable information for others contemplating towing trips. Good that it was at low temperatures too. Do you know the combined weight of the boat plus motor plus trailer combination?
Hopefully others can use the info - there isn't a lot of info online really..
I worked out about 950KG. +/-50KG
Boat 500kg, outboard 200kg, trailer 250kg, but thats internet research as opposed to actual weights

[Edit - yes braked trailer. Didn't like it as the spring needs adjusting I think, it shunted on the spring a lot. Lifting off down hills it seemed not alot happened, then more not alot happened, then eventually a shunt happened, if that makes sense]

Reactions: Adopado
[Edit - yes braked trailer. Didn't like it as the spring needs adjusting I think, it shunted on the spring a lot. Lifting off down hills it seemed not alot happened, then more not alot happened, then eventually a shunt happened, if that makes sense]
Eek! How was the general driving feel? I've driven with a loaded small trailer and you would barely know it was there ... but this looks like a whole different story!

Eek! How was the general driving feel? I've driven with a loaded small trailer and you would barely know it was there ... but this looks like a whole different story!
The shunt was more of a clunk if you take away the dramatic word shunt:). The actual towing experience was brilliant, heavy car with weight low, 4wd and loads of torque with no gears, it was really easy. As I was nursing range I wasn't using much throttle but it had more than ample power, I was always aware of the tonne or so I was dragging but it wasn't a problem at all.
Aside from the novelty of the % dropping so quickly, sitting at nearly 60mph was utterly straightforward. As I say it seemed to me that the braking on the trailer needs adjustment, (though I confess its my first braked trailer experience, but I cannot believe it is supposed to be so clunky when the car itself applies the brakes)

Disregarding the range it made a great tow car.

Hopefully others can use the info - there isn't a lot of info online really..
I worked out about 950KG. +/-50KG
Boat 500kg, outboard 200kg, trailer 250kg, but thats internet research as opposed to actual weights

should have put the outboard in the boot, then it'd have been lighter to tow

:p

wonder if the trailer wasn't braked, would you get better efficiency through improved regen?

should have put the outboard in the boot, then it'd have been lighter to tow

:p

wonder if the trailer wasn't braked, would you get better efficiency through improved regen?

That's a heck of an outboard to put anywhere! I never thought about that point about the braked trailer ... though now that you say it I reckon that must be the case. Certainly if the braking mechanism is a bit clunky and on/off. I wonder if someone with experience of large braked trailers can add any useful info to this.

@pdk42 did another thread of towing his glider across Northern Europe. I think I dropped some w/mile numbers in there too for towing a 250kg dingy.

I'm on mobile just now and couldn't immediately find the thread - will try to remember to drop it in later. I think it's good to link up reference material if we can as it helps answer people's questions.

@pdk42 did another thread of towing his glider across Northern Europe. I think I dropped some w/mile numbers in there too for towing a 250kg dingy.

I'm on mobile just now and couldn't immediately find the thread - will try to remember to drop it in later. I think it's good to link up reference material if we can as it helps answer people's questions.
I wonder if it's worth combining these experiences in a sticky thread for towing?

I wonder if it's worth combining these experiences in a sticky thread for towing.
I did think a sticky or wiki with w/mile experiences with different configurations would be handy for people. Towing, bikes, roof boxes etc.

But we have lots of stickies already, and this would take a bit of effort to ensure reasonably consistent records. Do you use the car's rating (I never look) or abrp's weighted 65mph number (not everyone will have). Up to @VanillaAir_UK really?

What level of regen did you use?
I wonder if in this case, coasting rather than regen would have given more range, and reduced the brake shunt.

Another thought: sitting with the trucks would probably have given you some aerodynamic benefit, too.

A further thought, if the tow car had been an Audi AWD hatchback ICE, would the mpg have fallen by half? In other words, does towing with a Tesla have the same impact on range as with an ICE?

Anyway, very well done.

Unbraked is fine untill you need to stop in a hurry or on a corner. Then your 950kg boat would try and overtake you, which is a) embarrassing and b) quite dangerous.
Anything with a MAM over 750kg has to be braked, so… ?

Don’t think anyone has mentioned the screen on the boat. That is one massive airbrake, which certainly will not have helped with the range. I can easily see that making quite a noticeable difference to the drag on the overall vehicle.

Reactions: Avendit
What level of regen did you use?
I wonder if in this case, coasting rather than regen would have given more range, and reduced the brake shunt.

Another thought: sitting with the trucks would probably have given you some aerodynamic benefit, too.

A further thought, if the tow car had been an Audi AWD hatchback ICE, would the mpg have fallen by half? In other words, does towing with a Tesla have the same impact on range as with an ICE?

Anyway, very well done.
The impact is more noticeable on an EV due to the relative efficiencies. The % range lost on an ICE is less noticeable as the % of fuel burnt that goes towards locomotion is far lower than the % used for locomotion in an EV. With an M3, throw in the quite slippery body shape, and the efficiency losses are highly noticeable. A more aerodynamic trailer would make a huge difference, as that boat is one big airbrake.