Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I crazy - long trip towing boat upcoming....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not at all sure I follow the reasoning here. A loss of efficiency is a loss of efficiency, and it's over and above the inefficiency of the ICE, I would have thought.
The issue is just that a Tesla depends on its aero efficiency to achieve its normal range. It therefore starts out with a better default CD rating than an average ICE SUV. The drag when towing a load applies to the vehicle/load in combination. The proportional increase in drag of the Tesla plus towing load is greater than the increase in drag of an ICE SUV plus towing load in combination.

I'm not at all sure I follow the reasoning here. A loss of efficiency is a loss of efficiency, and it's over and above the inefficiency of the ICE, I would have thought.
ICE are typically 30% efficient so 70% of the energy in the fuel is wasted whatever you do. When you add drag or go faster if the energy requirement goes up it it mainly affects the productive use. 50% of 30% is only a 15% increase.EVs are up to 90% efficient. 50% of 90% is 45%. So the impact is much greater. Ignoring towing this is also why driving at 80mph vs 70 has a much more dramatic effect on an EVs range than on ICE. I.e. about 25%

Reactions: Cardo and Avendit
Another interesting thread on towing….

With the rapid move to electric cars, what is the solution for the caravan industry? So the model Y can tow 1600kg…. A heavy caravan, but not outrageous. The reality is of course is that you would never tow anywhere near capacity with an EV. Not 1600kg anyway. It’s also not really practical to supercharge with a trailer.

I really think the caravan industry is heading for big trouble.

Or changes at least.

A few different approaches I can imagine, although have no crystal ball...

'towing' editions of EV's. Caravaners already choose their car based on whether it is good for towing or not. With increased battery capacity (over the next 10 years, not 6 months), there may be extra large battery editions for those that need it, priced with a premium.

Pull through SC's are already a thing here and there, might be something that would work in conjunction with the lorry mega chargers?

Caravan designers will have to start thinking about aero efficiency, getting the best bearings and so on. Integrate ideas from the campervan world of pip up roofs to minimise frontal area, then start promoting their range benefits. Once up to speed, on the flat and at constant speed, extra weight, especially on its own Axel's, shouldn't make much difference (???).

Or all caravan people drive at 25 anyway so none of this matters?

With the rapid move to electric cars, what is the solution for the caravan industry? So the model Y can tow 1600kg…. A heavy caravan, but not outrageous. The reality is of course is that you would never tow anywhere near capacity with an EV. Not 1600kg anyway. It’s also not really practical to supercharge with a trailer.

I think there's every possibility that people will tow to the limits but not for caravanning due to range impact (as you say). In practice towing is an absolute breeze due to the torque availability so shorter towing for non touring purposes is great. Trailer to the dump for example. In my case I can load up a trailer of logs. For those cases the mileage is liable to be no more than 25 miles so range impact is neither here nor there.

Reactions: Avendit
I think there's every possibility that people will tow to the limits but not for caravanning due to range impact (as you say). In practice towing is an absolute breeze due to the torque availability so shorter towing for non touring purposes is great. Trailer to the dump for example. In my case I can load up a trailer of logs. For those cases the mileage is liable to be no more than 25 miles so range impact is neither here nor there.
Same - have never touched a caravan, but the folded up dinghy tows beautifully (its pointy, aerodynamic, low and light). But a fair % of the population does like caravanning, so a solution will need finding.

Or changes at least.

A few different approaches I can imagine, although have no crystal ball...

'towing' editions of EV's. Caravaners already choose their car based on whether it is good for towing or not. With increased battery capacity (over the next 10 years, not 6 months), there may be extra large battery editions for those that need it, priced with a premium.

Pull through SC's are already a thing here and there, might be something that would work in conjunction with the lorry mega chargers?

Caravan designers will have to start thinking about aero efficiency, getting the best bearings and so on. Integrate ideas from the campervan world of pip up roofs to minimise frontal area, then start promoting their range benefits. Once up to speed, on the flat and at constant speed, extra weight, especially on its own Axel's, shouldn't make much difference (???).

Or all caravan people drive at 25 anyway so none of this matters?
The caravan industry have already started working on this. Airstream (of American fame) recently announced one of their caravans designed for towing with EVs. The caravan itself has a battery bank and traction motors, so the caravan assists in locomotion off its own back rather than entirely relying on the towing vehicle’s battery.

Link to concept:

Reactions: Avendit
So what I am hearing is EV proliferation may negatively impact caravan use.
So win win then :)
Haha. Alright jezza :)

UK caravan manufacturers don’t seem to be doing anything regarding making very light, aerodynamic caravans. Too busy worrying about wet central heating etc.

There will be a future market for mega lightweight caravans. Something mainly ignored so far.

Haha. Alright jezza :)

UK caravan manufacturers don’t seem to be doing anything regarding making very light, aerodynamic caravans. Too busy worrying about wet central heating etc.

There will be a future market for mega lightweight caravans. Something mainly ignored so far.
There’s actually quite a lot of new models with sub 1000kg weights. Manufacturers seem to be going in the two directions: Big palaces with all the mod cons; and smaller, efficient lightweight units designed to be towed with small cars or EVs.
I was down at the camping and caravanning show end of last month and that’s definitely the vibe I got.
Personally, I should be picking up my Opus trailer tent this coming week, which is on the top end of the M3’s towing range, but should hopefully work well.

The air opus is great. But man that price!
Indeed. A lucky punt on some Tesla shares are paying for this mid-life crisis adventure. I’m a little bit limited with how much gear I can take as the Opus itself is 800kg for the standalone unit. The model I’ve gone for comes out to pretty much 900kg, leaving me 100kg for gear on the unit. However, I also have all the storage space on the M3 itself. At least range shouldn’t be horrifically impacted due to the low height and therefore limited additional wind resistance of the Opus.