Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the Only One....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...who thinks that the touchscreen should be 100% integrated with my phone? I feel that the current integration is just half baked. I mean, at least add Android Auto capability or something! The large touchscreen should basically be a complete extension of your phone when you get in the car.
Most people still text while driving...even when it's dangerous and illegal. So why not add that feature on the touchscreen so people are not picking up their phone? My point is...anything I can do on my phone while driving, I should be able to do on the big touchscreen. Why not?

Just the ability to reach out to the touch screen and press a "mic" key to speak a text, and have it read back to you, would be nice. Let's face it, almost everybody still looks at their phone while driving. Why not make it easier and safer and sync it to the big-ass touch screen that's right in front of you...which all Tesla drivers look at anyway as well!

You shouldn't be able to do anything with your phone while driving, keep your eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel.
Tell that to anyone using Autopilot lol

...who thinks that the touchscreen should be 100% integrated with my phone? I feel that the current integration is just half baked. I mean, at least add Android Auto capability or something! The large touchscreen should basically be a complete extension of your phone when you get in the car.
Most people still text while driving...even when it's dangerous and illegal. So why not add that feature on the touchscreen so people are not picking up their phone? My point is...anything I can do on my phone while driving, I should be able to do on the big touchscreen. Why not?
Tesla's smartphone integration is abysmal and years behind mainstream brands. The ugly truth will come out when Model 3 hits volume production, that's when all the people with certain expectations based on other brands will turn on Tesla. Tesla has also shown disdain for developing a decent infotainment system, judging by all the complaints and Tesla's incompetence at squashing the most obvious and glaring bugs. The only thing a Tesla has that my 2007 Prius didn't in terms of smartphone integration is bluetooth streaming. Otherwise it's like having no integration at all.

Last edited:
No you are not. Phone / Tesla integration is awful, worse than my 2014 BMW i3. And the Tesla apps on the big screen are mostly much poorer than we all have on our phones.

Most manufacturers have adopted Android Auto and Apple's CarPlay. Many Tesla owners have been asking about it for the last couple of years, but the pleas fall on deaf ears. The competition is coming, but not really for another two years so maybe Tesla will try to get in front of it, but it doesn't seem to be anything that interests Elon and the Consumer Reports article that says Tesla owners are happy with the Infotainment system probably will keep Tesla complacent for awhile longer.

Android Auto using MirrorLink (is that what you mean?) uses in cars (BMW, Mercedes, VW) only approved apps and requires a cable USB connection... You can use Glympse, some car navigations (not google maps) ... I have it in my car and I don't use it, it's waste of Money (but I can't speak for Apple CarPlay)! Tesla apps are much more useful.
But I also wish to have text and email in the Tesla Integration. Calendar is nice but not sufficient. I would be glad to sync (on a driver profile basis) an Exchange Server like on my phone and could write Messages by just speech Input ... and all my contacts would be addresses for navigation...

Last edited:
No you are not...

Elon tweeted something a year or two ago about mirroring your phone's screen. But we haven't heard much more about it.

Originally they were going to allow third party apps on the main screen, but that initiative has been dead and buried for a few years ostensibly for security reasons.