Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you do this same set of mods but on a white Model Y?

Here you go, although unable to place white interior as the tint obscures the look anyways. I like it! Lowered with tints and 21" will work!

Click to enlarge renderings. (PS I see that rear wheel is a little too big in this rendering, but you get the idea!)
White Y Larger Wheels2.jpg

Black Large Wheels2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalGuy
I think the design is a bit bland and poor too, calling it an SUV seems like a lie as it's so pebble shaped and the trunk looks like it's going to be massively eaten into by the sloped roof.

Most typical SUVs have a roofline that goes further back to near to or the very back of the car (like a wagon) and these I personally prefer due to the box shape.

Design is very subjective though, but I hope that Tesla create cars like typical SUV / Wagon shape for that extra boxy practicality.

Personally why I have an ICE car.

This is not a SUV, it's a Crossover, but that's okay, many confuse the two! I disagree, not "bland" at all, it's a clean and simple aero design! I have a feeling you'll come around sooner or later as "Boxy" cluttered designs are not very aerodynamic and therefore not practical for EV's!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CarlK
Here you go, although unable to place white interior as the tint obscures the look anyways. I like it! Lowered with tints and 21" will work!

Click to enlarge renderings. (PS I see that rear wheel is a little too big in this rendering, but you get the idea!)
View attachment 387705

View attachment 387713
Thanks!

Looks much better with these mods (and this angle). Like a sporty van. Would you guess that wheel size is a 22?

Reactions: RIP->OPEC

View attachment 387705

View attachment 387713
Side by side: stock on top, your mods below. What a difference bigger wheels and tint make!

DC00AB53-53D4-4FCB-81BF-7FFCD2D7EE13.jpeg

Reactions: RIP->OPEC
Side by side: stock on top, your mods below. What a difference bigger wheels and tint make!

Yup, don't forget lowering it as well.

Looks like 22" possibly, but I believe there are no tires yet made that would fit a wheel of that size on this car, the aspect ratio sidewall dimension would be too thin. So either go with 21" wheels and DROP it down some (as seen here) with Adjustable CO's or place larger overall diameter wheels/tires and recalibrate the speedo somehow.

Last edited:
I have an X. I love the car and Tesla. I think many would agree being unbiased Tesla cars, except for the roadster are many times have to grow on you for appearance. Many love the look and many do not. I like the look and it is more futuristic in most cases. The Y is something that may have to grow on you, if you see it in person versus the internet you may change your opinion. You could get a Honda HRV or a Chevy BOLT if you want electric, are they great looking cars? Hmmmm

I have never liked the looks of the X, the S has always been the best looking for me with the new nose and at first I thought the a 3 was little off in proportions but after having owned it almost a year now it seems fine.

The Y for some reason that I am not sure just seems awesome to me, maybe its the stout look, like a Hot Wheels car in real life, I really like the smooth lines and never have been an SUV fan at least for looks, I will be buying a Y just need to drive the crap out of my 3 so when the Y comes out I can convince my wife "this one is wore out, we need a new one!"

On the other hand people keep complaining that Tesla's are boring in their design and to me they look good, there is a rendering on Top Speed of what someone thinks a 2022 S should look like and while it is not bad it does look like the Fisker and Kia design teams got together with all those chiseled angled surfaces.

teslay.jpg

next-gen-tesla-model-4_1600x0w.jpg

I have never liked the looks of the X, the S has always been the best looking for me with the new nose and at first I thought the a 3 was little off in proportions but after having owned it almost a year now it seems fine.

The Y for some reason that I am not sure just seems awesome to me, maybe its the stout look, like a Hot Wheels car in real life, I really like the smooth lines and never have been an SUV fan at least for looks, I will be buying a Y just need to drive the crap out of my 3 so when the Y comes out I can convince my wife "this one is wore out, we need a new one!"

On the other hand people keep complaining that Tesla's are boring in their design and to me they look good, there is a rendering on Top Speed of what someone thinks a 2022 S should look like and while it is not bad it does look like the Fisker and Kia design teams got together with all those chiseled angled surfaces.

teslay.jpg

next-gen-tesla-model-4_1600x0w.jpg
More like Kia and Mazda than Fisker.

As an owner of the 3 and of a Fisker, I can tell you that even today, 7 years later, I still get thumbs up and asked at stoplights and in parking lots what “model of Ferrari” is that or “what concept car” is that etc. That has never happened in my 3 and even when I drove an S in early 2013. In every mechanical and technical way, the 3 is superior. To me though, it still doesn’t bring me the giddy joy I get when taking the Karma out on the weekends for a nice drive.

Reactions: Ocelot
Will you cut it with your bezel already ?

The X3 and Macan are much better looking, especially on the interior,
And I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but the next generation Macan will be electric only, Tesla is going to have a hard time if they are becoming so bland and stop innovating in both performance,tech and design

Just be realistic and stop acting like a tesla fanboy, model Y is uninspired and ugly
If it was the design of a 25.000$ car I would have said YES, but for a car starting at 39.000$ it's a big NO

Are you freaking kidding me? The average new vehicle is $34,000. You want a Tesla crossover to cost almost $10,000 less than that?

I think it'd be a struggle to make an EV currently, with the shape of say a Subaru Forester, due to aerodynamics being so important. You'd lose way too much range.

Oh really? I get that Tesla is trying their best to reduce pack costs for base models (hence the smallest possible pack size for >200 miles) but the Kia Niro has more of a SUV shape with more of a notched back on it and its range is still exceptional for a 64kwh pack.

Reactions: Ocelot
Coming from experience with the 3, I can tell you my first reaction to the 3 was like, well, it's ok, but it kept growing on me to the point where I really like it. Felt the exact same way about the Y, and pretty much any time I look at photo of it, same thing, it grows on me.

I really think it's always the front of the car, I think in renders/ certain photos it can look almost cartoonish, but in real life it's anything but.

Anyone who says this in relation to taste is really willing themselves into it ala Stockholm Syndrome. I hear it the most with fans of bands trying to like bad albums.

That's a hard take to compare taste with sympathizing with your captors but ok. I respectfully disagree. Especially read my take on it in real life vs photos.

Right. Cause your immediate first take in everything is correct. That allows for lots of well considered options and personal growth. :rolleyes:

I know right? My gut always tells me what's right 100% of the time

In my opinion the Model Y looks tough. I am starting to wonder if this board is filled with a bunch of short sellers. Where else can you get a Performance SUV that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, has huge brake calipers, 280 miles of range, 8 year warranty, and the ability to tow for $61k? Simply put, the Model Y is phenomenal value for money. If the Government decides to implement the $7500 EV tax credit again, it's almost criminal how cheap the Model Y will be considering the competition. I'm selling my Cayenne Turbo to get into a Model Y. Frankly the quality of German cars isn't what is use to be, so any German electric offering makes me skeptical of it's longevity...

• Love
Reactions: gilscales