Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of a Model Y after 5 years with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the FSD transfer period and the $7500 tax credit, I'm thinking of trading in my 2018 LR model 3 for a new model Y LR. I drove a Y and it seems to be fine, so I'm not concerned about that, but I am a bit concerned about range. In the 5 years of owning my 3, it's been very efficient. Even now the 100% charge state lists 300+ miles and in practice driving highway speeds, I can probably get about 270 miles from it. Lifetime I'm around 250 WH/mi.

In reading some of the model Y threads, it feels like the Y is vastly more inefficient. I realize it's not going to be quite like the 3, but given the LR touts 330 (or so) miles of range, I was hoping the extra 10% rated range would make up for it. But reading real world reviews, it seems like people are getting more like 200-240 miles? That seems grossly inefficient.

I'm curious if this is truly representative of what I'd expect in making this change?

I don't think anyone here knows how you drive (250 Wh/mi seems to be a bit more on the efficient side), so it's going to be hard to give you an accurate answer. Car and driver got 220 miles at 75mph, Out of Spec got 270 at 70 mph and squeezed 286 going past 0%.

Are you doing anything around those range limits that would be a cause for concern?

• Informative
Reactions: WyoDude and BitJam
Regarding efficiency....
1692026851051.png

I just swapped my 2018 M3 LR FSD for a 2023 MY LR FSD (transferred but not enabled yet)
the drive and feel is slightly different because you are sitting a bit higher, but it is not too too tooooo different TBH.
if I can offer a good selling point is the newer MCU and HW4.
the view on the cameras is a lot more clear on HW4. the newer MCU also can run zoom right now and the 2018 can't, not that I want to use my car for my conference calls, but what other apps are going to come with the same issue?
if you go for it and don't have anyone else referring you, use my code :) john55280
edit: my wife's 2021 MY LR did give better range than my 2018 M3, but she is a better driver than me

Last edited:
Given the FSD transfer period and the $7500 tax credit, I'm thinking of trading in my 2018 LR model 3 for a new model Y LR. I drove a Y and it seems to be fine, so I'm not concerned about that, but I am a bit concerned about range. In the 5 years of owning my 3, it's been very efficient. Even now the 100% charge state lists 300+ miles and in practice driving highway speeds, I can probably get about 270 miles from it. Lifetime I'm around 250 WH/mi.

In reading some of the model Y threads, it feels like the Y is vastly more inefficient. I realize it's not going to be quite like the 3, but given the LR touts 330 (or so) miles of range, I was hoping the extra 10% rated range would make up for it. But reading real world reviews, it seems like people are getting more like 200-240 miles? That seems grossly inefficient.

I'm curious if this is truly representative of what I'd expect in making this change?
I’m more of a 260 - 270 Wh/mi driver - drive on Chill mode a lot.

I drive approx 60-70% interstate and over 70 mph a lot of it (usually 78) - when conditions are extreme (temp, rain, wind, etc) I get about 210-240 miles depending on how extreme.

When conditions are more ideal I avg 260-290 miles.

If I drive more City and conditions are more ideal I avg 290-310 miles

Like others said highly dependent on location, terrain, weather, driving style, etc but hopefully that helps.

Reactions: superblast
I just swapped my 2018 M3 LR FSD for a 2023 MY LR FSD (transferred but not enabled yet)
the drive and feel is slightly different because you are sitting a bit higher, but it is not too too tooooo different TBH.
if I can offer a good selling point is the newer MCU and HW4.
the view on the cameras is a lot more clear on HW4. the newer MCU also can run zoom right now and the 2018 can't, not that I want to use my car for my conference calls, but what other apps are going to come with the same issue?
if you go for it and don't have anyone else referring you, use my code :) john55280
edit: my wife's 2021 MY LR did give better range than my 2018 M3, but she is a better driver than me
You do know if OP is planning to upgrade from a M3 to a MY, he'll just fall under the loyalty referral program of getting $500 off the new car.

I "try" to use my friend's referral and didn't work. Tesla is smarter than us and we can't double dip. 😅

Reactions: Pricedm
I just went from a '19 LR3 to a new LRY and I have NO regrets at all. The slightly higher ride is nicer than I expected and not having to bend down/over as much feels great on my back. I have only had it a little over a week but I can see the difference in miles between the two and easily an extra day without needing to charge now. I'm in CLT so we basically have the same weather, the heat pump along with HW4 would make it a no brainer...along with the FSD transfer of course.

@RTPGiants like you I have a 10/2018 build Model 3 LR and will do FSD transfer. Really enjoy it (just under 34k miles) and 226 Wh/mi lifetime, so similar "wonderings" about Model Y on road trips. Our cars had 310 max range versus 330 for MY LR. Post #4 from @pipestem is a great visual as to why the MY uses more energy. Another negative--slower acceleration.

But--think about all the positives: low voltage LiOn battery, better side cameras, Matrix headlights (Fremont builds), power lift gate, hatchback, HW4, CCS charging, laminated glass, more refined suspension, integrated tow hitch (bike rack)...so many hardware changes.

And for me, I will finally be able to sell my ICEmobile and no longer buy gasoline, as a benefit of the MY larger interior and hatchback. 8/17 I ordered an inventory car ("in production") with delivery scheduled 3rd week September.

Having gone the opposite direction (have had MY for 2yrs, just got M3P), the first thing I noticed was how much smaller/ lower the M3 is inside. It handles much better, too.

That said, The Y has insane amounts of space everywhere and I think the sound system sounds better (likely due to the acoustics of having a hatchback).

If I could only have 1, it'd be the MY without a second thought. The 3 is more fun, but less practical

Having gone the opposite direction (have had MY for 2yrs, just got M3P), the first thing I noticed was how much smaller/ lower the M3 is inside. It handles much better, too.

That said, The Y has insane amounts of space everywhere and I think the sound system sounds better (likely due to the acoustics of having a hatchback).

If I could only have 1, it'd be the MY without a second thought. The 3 is more fun, but less practical
and this is why we now have one of each. hopefully set for nice long while.

Reactions: Pricedm
I have an early 2020 MY AWD and a 2022 M3 (RWD LFP battery). Here is some data for you:

1. 2022 M3 (RWD) EPA range: 272
2. 2020 MY AWD EPA range: 326 (bumped from 316 with a SW update)
3. I lost ~7% range on my MY when switching to larger Quatrac Pro tires
4. MY has ~10% battery degradation
4. M3 has ~2% battery degradation
Real world, they can both go the same distance. I've had both cars on trips together, and they are always within 1% of the same battery SoC when arriving. They are both good for ~260 miles in good summer conditions, and ~225 in the winter. (100% to near 0%).

Note that my M3 can actually get the full rated range if driven conservatively. The LFP can be charged to 100% regularly, and seems like it'll way outlast the NCA battery in my MY. I still strongly prefer the MY for comfort and utility.

Last edited: