Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of a Model Y after 5 years with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This already exists, it’s called the Model Y 😂

There is quite a lot of differences between the Model 3 and the Model Y
regarding the overall internal size, body weight and driving handling.
Not everyone want to drive a bulky SUV, and prefer driving a more nimble vehicle.

The Model 3 and the Model Y are about the same length, but not the same height,
but because the Model 3 is a sedan instead of been a hatchback,
the Model 3 is much less practical than the Model Y.

The new 2023 Toyota Prius resembles to the Model 3,
and has practically the same length and height, but is a hatchback.

Tesla reportedly about ~50% of changed made to the Model 3 Highland.
In particular, the firewall at the front and the speaker shelf at the rear,
are not part of the body in white, see below picture.

Thus, making the Model 3 Highland been a hatchback would not have been so difficult,
since there is no more rigid panel shelf between the rear passenger seats and the trunk.

Model 3 Highland - Body in White .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem
There is quite a lot of differences between the Model 3 and the Model Y
regarding the overall internal size, body weight and driving handling.
Not everyone want to drive a bulky SUV, and prefer driving a more nimble vehicle.
A. This was a joke.
B. The Y is not a bulky SUV. In comparison to the 3 it’s not as nimble but it’s not on the other side of the spectrum. In comparison to other SUV’s/wagons/etc, it’s way more nimble than most.
the Model 3 is much less practical than the Model Y.
Exactly

A. This was a joke.
B. The Y is not a bulky SUV. In comparison to the 3 it’s not as nimble but it’s not on the other side of the spectrum. In comparison to other SUV’s/wagons/etc, it’s way more nimble than most.

Exactly
The comments about the Y handling crack me up.
Haven't driven the LR but the Performance sticks well.

It is plenty good up to the point it breaks traction.

When Edmunds ran an older 2020 YP against a newer Hellcat Durango the Performance put down 1.29 G in lateral acceleration. Agreed that is plenty nimble

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude
First road trip completed. 994 miles at 254 watts/mile. A little higher than my 2018 Model 3 (I think its 33k mile efficiency was around 225 w/m).

Suspension and laminated accoustic glass are big improvements. Also slightly longer range made 80% charge to 264 miles quick at a Supercharger so I could complete my 200 mile drive and arrive with 30 miles range at destination. From Supercharger elevation 5,092 to over 10,662, down to 9,100, back up to 11,158, and then Denver at 5,280, another stress-free FSD trip.

Reactions: 455dan and pipestem