Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon After market Spoiler Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As promised, here is my MS with the spoiler for JC Motorsport installed. It went on very easily and is locked down tight. Just went through a torrential south Florida tropical downpour (talking inches of rain in less than an hour) and the water completely wicked away down the sides or over the top. No water seepage underneath the spoiler.

IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2632.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg

I have installed this spoiler as well. A few pictures are attached. This is also just after a detailing by Clay at Before and After in Raleigh, NC (link). I would highly recommended if you are in the Raleigh/Durham NC area. He also applied Opticoat to my car.

This spoiler does have the issue where the left side does not fit snug on the body of the car. It is about 1mm off after attaching with the 3M tape. When attaching the spoiler, I held it down firm for 1min+, then weighed it down overnight. But as soon as the weight came off, it bounced back up and has slowly come up a bit more since then. The non-attached part is only the left-most ~3 inches. Suggestions on what to do? I noted someone up-thread suggested caulk...?? If so, what kind? The slight lift is barely noticeable unless you are really up close. So the only concern is getting water underneath.

IMG_6716.JPG
IMG_6717.JPG
IMG_6718 copy.jpg

PhinFL and Tomp:
Did you guys use the adhesion promoter in your installation of the spoiler? If so, what was the process you followed using it?

I used extra tape (see my previous post) to add some extra bonding power to the edges to avoid the gap that some are experiencing. In those places that I added extra tape, I used the adhesion promotor ONLY on the underside of the spoiler. I did not use any on the body of the car itself. Given time to let it dry completely before applying the new tape, and letting everything completely cure in the sun, I have had zero "bleeding" of the promotor.

I did not use the adhesion promoter either. I too have the issue with the left side of the spoiler. Almost seems like there is a slight warp in the spoiler. It does not ruin the look but like others I am concerned about water seepage. Any suggestions on firmly securing the left side would be greatly appreciated. I read earlier the suggestion of silicone caulk but seem to remember someone saying that was a bad idea. Even with the little gap the spoiler really adds to the look of the car and I am glad I got it (especially at $153 shipped:biggrin:).

Pax,
Father Bill

I will eventually remove mine and replace with extra tape on that left side. PhinFL reported that helped fix his, so I'll probably do that, unless I can get clear info on auto-paint-safe caulk.
I did not use the adhesion promoter either. I too have the issue with the left side of the spoiler. Almost seems like there is a slight warp in the spoiler. It does not ruin the look but like others I am concerned about water seepage. Any suggestions on firmly securing the left side would be greatly appreciated. I read earlier the suggestion of silicone caulk but seem to remember someone saying that was a bad idea. Even with the little gap the spoiler really adds to the look of the car and I am glad I got it (especially at $153 shipped:biggrin:).

Pax,
Father Bill

Hi guys, I bought mine just after OP's post. But didn't have time (or courage [emoji6]) to put in on.
Yesterday decided to give it a try.

I followed these instructions;
No glue, extra 3M tape inbetween the existing tape and most importantly, little extra tape in gaps around the edges for more retention.

This is my result:
5daf5650fea48e8fe3fd17c0c145b15a.jpg

3aa63ef5c58b7e7e52577b7b3ff16b48.jpg

Hope this gives some extra motivation to mount it [emoji16].

IWAN:
That looks like a really nice installation job you did. Did the outer edges lay flat in your installation?
Being in the Netherlands (where you get considerable rainfall at times), you will be best to report if water collects under the spoiler and eventually dribbles out once the car is dry.
Every car I have had a spoiler on did this, especially after I washed the car.
Then learned a trick to use a leaf blower or exhaust from a vacuun to blow out the residue water...