Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon Echo Auto to the rescue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because Amazon made a box you can glue to your dash doesn’t change any automakers plans to build similar features into their future cars. The Echo for Auto is for the millions of older cars already in service.

CarPlay has been around for a couple years and Tesla seems in no hurry to improve the entertainment features in their software. Heck, the stereo in the 6 year old Acura I just traded in did some things better than Tesla. Hopefully it will become a priority next year, but who knows.....
Amazon is in talks with 4 or 5 large automakers about internalizing it in future cars -- not just gluing it to the dash like I will probably end up doing....

I'm really hoping this will work as an easier way to connect to SiriusXM, but honestly I'm not sure it's going to be ideal, seems like if Echo Auto is connected to the car's BT, then the phone won't be, so calls won't route through the car...unless it routes through Echo to the car...which seems redundant and complicated.
I don't see anything about this connecting to SATELLITE Sirius XM, I think it's just the iPhone app that it can play in your car, but then that is ALSO redundant and complicated.

I get my music and podcasts already built into the Tesla. I am happier with just the phone for connectivity. Don't need Amazon sticking their nose in my beezwax. Or FB or Google actually. I only wanna share with those who don't care if I do. Like Tesla, or TMC.

-Randy

I don't see anything about this connecting to SATELLITE Sirius XM, I think it's just the iPhone app that it can play in your car, but then that is ALSO redundant and complicated.

I get my music and podcasts already built into the Tesla. I am happier with just the phone for connectivity. Don't need Amazon sticking their nose in my beezwax. Or FB or Google actually. I only wanna share with those who don't care if I do. Like Tesla, or TMC.

-Randy
Not satellite, but if it can play SiriusXM via the wifi/LTE as a regular Echo does, without my having to open and connect via my phone app, that's all I'm expecting/hoping for.

You will have to use the phone to make LTE into something the Auto Echo can use to get to the net. So using your phone directly is easier. Especially on the Model 3 where you just plug it in, into the center console, giving you direct-view of the controls, and launch Sirius, or ask Siri or Google too. No issues with the phone not being available via Bluetooth for calls and msgs as there would be if you had the Echo using that BT connection. The phone also has a scrolling list of what's on the other XM channels, the Echo will not.

The big advantage of satellite has always been access to content when not in a major town, the network connection to your phone will fail at the exact same time as the network connection to your car, while satellite will typically fail in major urban settings where there is LOTS of cellular.

Not that I plan to renew Sirius on my other car, I am spending all my time in the Tesla. I just bring a USB stick full of music for the drive down Hwy 1.

-Randy

You will have to use the phone to make LTE into something the Auto Echo can use to get to the net. So using your phone directly is easier. Especially on the Model 3 where you just plug it in, into the center console, giving you direct-view of the controls, and launch Sirius, or ask Siri or Google too. No issues with the phone not being available via Bluetooth for calls and msgs as there would be if you had the Echo using that BT connection. The phone also has a scrolling list of what's on the other XM channels, the Echo will not.

The big advantage of satellite has always been access to content when not in a major town, the network connection to your phone will fail at the exact same time as the network connection to your car, while satellite will typically fail in major urban settings where there is LOTS of cellular.

Not that I plan to renew Sirius on my other car, I am spending all my time in the Tesla. I just bring a USB stick full of music for the drive down Hwy 1.

-Randy
Ummmm, no.... The Echo will connect to my phone's hotspot automatically (as long as the hotspot is turned on). Then I can change channels with voice and still have full access to my phone's features (I keep Waze up most of the time when driving). I'm not sure what you're getting at with the satellite part of your comment. It's not an option in Model 3 so any discussion is mute. I use my phone several times per day in the Model 3 to connect to Sirius XM, and it's a bit of a pain. I don't like fiddling with it while I'm driving. I don't like that I have to fiddle with it before I start driving. I think the Echo will making connecting a simpler and faster process for me and the additional Echo features will be a bonus.

The comment about satellite refers to the majority way the XM service is doled out to drivers. I even read a thread today about someone installing the sat antenna on his Model 3 and going in thru a free FM channel. This service is useful as you can be driving thru the desert or as in my example, down highway 1 where there is NO cellular service and your Sirius service would work great.

If you are using Sirius to access their service over cellular, which offers much the same capabilities as those already built into all Teslas, than you will lose that service at the same time your car loses those built-in services. Thus I was questioning your strategy more than the bit about using an Amazon device between your phone and the car.

But, hey, as the kids say these days, "you do you"

-Randy

The comment about satellite refers to the majority way the XM service is doled out to drivers. I even read a thread today about someone installing the sat antenna on his Model 3 and going in thru a free FM channel. This service is useful as you can be driving thru the desert or as in my example, down highway 1 where there is NO cellular service and your Sirius service would work great.

If you are using Sirius to access their service over cellular, which offers much the same capabilities as those already built into all Teslas, than you will lose that service at the same time your car loses those built-in services. Thus I was questioning your strategy more than the bit about using an Amazon device between your phone and the car.

But, hey, as the kids say these days, "you do you"

-Randy

Generally when someone is going through a LOT of effort to get sat radio without using a sat signal it's because they can't live without listening to Howard Stern.

There's probably some sportsball reasons possible too.

I see that the hotspot is the concern in many examples with echo auto. i wonder if Amazon is paying attention to other car threads and maybe seeing the same concerns? Similar to how Tesla has the family plan on LTE, Amazon could possibly offer cellular connectivity with with echo auto.

Reactions: vickh
has anyone else gotten their hands on one of these yet? i just got mine finally yesterday (after signing up for an invite on day 1 last september), and so far i'm not that impressed. if the issues i've been having (namely it not working very well, it can hear me say alexa to wake it but then just refuses to do what i ask it quite often) are any indication, i can understand why they've been rolling this out so slowly. it shouldn't be having this many issues, because when i replay it from the app (to see what it heard), it can hear me perfectly well. my voice and what i'm asking is always clear...it just doesn't seem to work more often than not.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
has anyone else gotten their hands on one of these yet?

I got mine. Paired it with my iPhone easily. Works great. Hears what I say and does what I ask.

HOWEVER.... In order to hear it's responses, you have to be switched to your BlueTooth INPUT. As I mostly listen to Slacker (2/3 of the time) and it's absolutely not worth the trouble to change over to Bluetooth just to do something on the Echo, I really didn't use it. Currently disconnected and not sure if I'll keep it.

If there's was an option to buy Echo as an add-on to the car, I'd definitely do it.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Mine works very well, with one exception. It will not play Spotify, which is the only reason I got it :(
I like the idea and it seems to work very well for me in all other respects.
The Amazon Echo seems to have a number of comments on this issue. I’m going to try uninstalling it and reinstalling to see if that helps.

Mine works very well, with one exception. It will not play Spotify, which is the only reason I got it :(
I like the idea and it seems to work very well for me in all other respects.
The Amazon Echo seems to have a number of comments on this issue. I’m going to try uninstalling it and reinstalling to see if that helps.

i haven't had that problem, i've been able to get mine to play spotify no problem (other than the occasional issues i mentioned). do you have your spotify account linked?

I got mine. Paired it with my iPhone easily. Works great. Hears what I say and does what I ask.

HOWEVER.... In order to hear it's responses, you have to be switched to your BlueTooth INPUT. As I mostly listen to Slacker (2/3 of the time) and it's absolutely not worth the trouble to change over to Bluetooth just to do something on the Echo, I really didn't use it. Currently disconnected and not sure if I'll keep it.

If there's was an option to buy Echo as an add-on to the car, I'd definitely do it.

i know i need to have phone selected, that's not the issue...the problem is that most of the time, it'll wake when i say alexa and then almost immediately stop and go back to whatever was playing. it hears the wake word and then it's almost like it stops listening immediately after that for some reason...

where do you guys have it mounted? i have mine in the phone dock...

i haven't had that problem, i've been able to get mine to play spotify no problem (other than the occasional issues i mentioned). do you have your spotify account linked?

I can play Spotify through other Alexa speakers, so I believe so, but will look into that.

I’ve mounted mine on the dashboard, immediately to the left of the center display. Seems to pick up speech very well. After saying “Alexa” I don’t pause long at all, perhaps 1 second. Unsure if the placement might be affecting the audio pickup?

I can play Spotify through other Alexa speakers, so I believe so, but will look into that.

I’ve mounted mine on the dashboard, immediately to the left of the center display. Seems to pick up speech very well. After saying “Alexa” I don’t pause long at all, perhaps 1 second. Unsure if the placement might be affecting the audio pickup?

mine was much better today, so i'm wondering if it was just a calibration issue or something of that sort.