Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog AMD RDNA 2 Architecture to Power Tesla’s Infotainment System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s Model S sedan and Model X SUV are set to receive a big bump in computing power.

AMD Chief Executive Dr. Lisa Su announced in a keynote speech at the Computex tradeshow that the vehicles will feature the RDNA 2 GPU architecture. Tesla’s infotainment system will consist of an AMD Ryzen processor with its own integrated graphics paired with a discrete AMD RDNA 2 GPU.

“We’re really just getting started with RDNA 2. So you might be surprised to learn the next place you’ll find RDNA 2 graphics,” Su said. “It’s actually on the road, in the electric vehicle market with the new Tesla Model S and Model X,” she confirmed.”

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk previously teased that the vehicles would pack PlayStation 5-level entertainment computing power. In fact, AMD’s RDNA 2 graphics are found in the PlayStation 5.

Check out Su’s keynote below.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long before we have a thread from people demanding an upgrade to MCU3, and those who only recently paid for MCU2 upgrade all upset they no longer have the latest?
I am sure Tesla will sell you one. Let's see a top-of-the-line GPU card in these days of constrained production and crypto-mining demand is $2500, if you can find one. So for two of GPUs and the new electronics say $8,000 for the MCU3 upgrade. Any takers?

Once this hits Model 3/Y, it may become an attractive target for crypto-mining-malware. It's happened to phones, so could happen to Teslas.

I also suspect all new software will be written for MCU3, leaving MCU2 in the same situation where MCU1 was when MCU2 came out - running software written for faster, more capable, different capabilities hardware.

I wonder if you will be able to upgrade the MCU with Portrait displays. The new X and S will have high rez Landscape displays.
I sure hope there's a way to upgrade/retrofit the landscape screens on to OG Model S and X. But I'm not holding my breath, I imagine most, if not all, of the surrounding components will also need to be replaced to accommodate the new layout.

I sure hope there's a way to upgrade/retrofit the landscape screens on to OG Model S and X. But I'm not holding my breath, I imagine most, if not all, of the surrounding components will also need to be replaced to accommodate the new layout.
I think you are correct about the depth of the change. From the website, it looks like the dash has been modified to support the new landscape display.

Having the option to upgrade your MCU1 to an MCU2 is a huge benefit. Since most auto manufactures went towards the radio being part of the buss control, there is not many options to change out the radio for any upgrades. Gone were the days most vehicles had a din or double din. It's to early to know what Tesla may do to create an upgradable MCU for the S/X. Considering there are many portrait screens on the road, this may be probable. ... and hey, why they're at it, might as well go to a 5G communication chip.

Reactions: fcastrillo86