Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

American accent for voice commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried about five times to get my M3P to call my fiancé by saying ‘call jade’, and it kept saying ‘cool jade’ on the screen. Sixth time I did my best (which is still pretty terrible) Californian accent, and hey presto, it registered and made the call.

this was my first time using voice commands.... anyone else noticed they need to put on an American accent to make the thing work or is it just me?! Or is there (doubtful I know) a setting to change this sort of thing?

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
I tried to do a "Bug report" the other day.. i diddnt understand what i was saying.. tried a few times then gave up!

hold the car button down to do bug report

Yes, I agree it's got worse. When I first got the car (V9) I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. Now it gets most things wrong. I've almost given up with it.

Yes it’s become completely useless since v10 I haven’t been able to make a phone call when previously it worked every time.

Reactions: Obliter8
Might be worth raising on the Tesla UK Owners Group over on Facebook. Will Fealey who's one of the main actors there seems to have a good back-channel to Tesla corporate.

Tesla Owners Group UK

Well I don't think having to rely on an owners group to make a complaint is really reliable but worth a try given the limited options available.

Quite agree.. but question is.. how/where do you make your compaint?

I would suggest scheduling a service with a long away date and list the issues you have, not sure anyone will actually care though :(

OTA updates are rubbish if they break things!

I see I may be the only American in this thread. Let me assure you I have similar problems — and my accent is pure Midwestern USA. I found this thread trying to see if others are having the same problem especially with the new software update.

The new 2019.40.50.1 update seems to have overloaded Tesla systems resulting in all sorts of responsiveness issues related to the new voice commands as well as the old ones like voice calling. If I voice dial my wife on my iPhone, it never has a problem finding her but both of my Teslas have consistently misinterpreted her name though eventually have found her. Until 2019.40.50.1. Now it appears the car just searches and gives up trying to locate her at least half the time.

Many others have reported this voice commands issue so it will surely be resolved. But even after it is resolved back to “Tesla’s normal” I suspect it will still be far short of my iPhone in speech recognition ability, whether the voice is on your side of the big pond or mine. Tesla likes your money far too much to let an accent bias spoil their European business.

PS Even when working “normally” my Teslas repeat my wife Terese’s name as Terez with a hard Z. That is certainly not a reflection of an accent bias, just bad hearing. Perhaps our cars need hearing aids.

I see I may be the only American in this thread. Let me assure you I have similar problems — and my accent is pure Midwestern USA. I found this thread trying to see if others are having the same problem especially with the new software update.

Yes indeed, it actually copes pretty well with different accents but it's "traditional" in the UK when there are voice recognition problems to assume that (as it was, years ago) it can only understand an American accent ... you would kill yourself laughing at our hopeless attempts at changing accents and rephrasing things in an attempt to make some failed new tech to carry out a basic task by speaking American English!

• Funny
Reactions: tccartier
Yes, using an American accent improves recognition dramatically - "caarl parl" works better than "corl porl" (call Paul).
Studying accents around the world is a side hobby of mine so this thread is awesome!
Of course me being from the west coast USA I have no accent; we speak perfectly here.

If I wanted to call Paul I wouldn't put any R's anywhere.

Forget about accent. I was never able to use my voice to call most people on my contact list. Most of them has names that are a little different than the normal spellings. Nathen, Masha, etc... you would think that the car would search for the closest name and call that person but no.... it won't even attempt it. It was on my old car, Lexus. I have not tried with the new Tesla voice call yet.