Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

America's Tire (Discount Tire) will not sell 235/40/19 tires to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an interesting encounter with America's Tire (aka Discount Tire Direct). My car came with the aeros, and I inquired in person about getting a quote for tires in size 235/40/19 since I'm upgrading to 19" wheels. I specifically asked for the OEM Continentals (ProContact RX) that come with the optional 19" sport wheel package, which, as you all know, are also listed in the owner's manual. However, they said they couldn't sell it to me because it doesn't match the load rating that my car came with with my aeros, which are 98W...while the Continentals, and the rest of the 235/40 sizes they sell for that matter, are rated 96W and lower.

I kept explaining to the rep that these Continentals I'm interested in buying are the exact same tires that Tesla puts on the model 3s with the sport wheel upgrades, and that it's even listed on my owner's manual. But they cannot and are not willing to sell me the tires because they don't match the load rating that's on my door jamb. They said that the only way they would sell me the tires is to ask Tesla to switch out the door jamb label (which i'm not even sure is possible?), or I go with 245/40 size at minimum.

I have never experienced this before because I've never gone one size up with aftermarket wheels, so this is so frustratingly bizarre. I specifically opted not to upgrade to the 19 sport wheels when I ordered my car because I knew I would eventually go this direction and get lighter aftermarket 19" wheels anyway.

Has anyone else experienced this when upgrading from 18s to a larger size, or just going one size up on any of your current or previous cars in general? I know I can go with other tire shops, but I have had really good experience with AT with my previous car, and I was hoping to take advantage of their promotions and financing options.

They have a great point and this is a safety issue. Our cars are pretty heavy and you need to make sure the load ratings match up. Just because the manufacturer and model of tire are the same, doesn’t mean they both have the same load rating. I can’t speak for the Conti’s, but from my previous car, I know with Michelin’s Pilot Sports have multiple load ratings within the same model. Make sure the load ratings match.

They have a great point and this is a safety issue. Our cars are pretty heavy and you need to make sure the load ratings match up. Just because the manufacturer and model of tire are the same, doesn’t mean they both have the same load rating. I can’t speak for the Conti’s, but from my previous car, I know with Michelin’s Pilot Sports have multiple load ratings within the same model. Make sure the load ratings match.

So, I'm curious then, is Tesla knowingly equipping all their model 3s who upgrade to 19s with incorrect load ratings? And does that mean that those with 18s equipped with the MXM4s and 20s with the PS4S are the only ones with tires with the correct load rating? This is all new to me, because I figured all the model 3s, whether they be AWD, SR+, P3D, or LR RWD, have the same load rating from factory, or do they not?

I had an interesting encounter with America's Tire (aka Discount Tire Direct). My car came with the aeros, and I inquired in person about getting a quote for tires in size 235/40/19 since I'm upgrading to 19" wheels. I specifically asked for the OEM Continentals (ProContact RX) that come with the optional 19" sport wheel package, which, as you all know, are also listed in the owner's manual. However, they said they couldn't sell it to me because it doesn't match the load rating that my car came with with my aeros, which are 98W...while the Continentals, and the rest of the 235/40 sizes they sell for that matter, are rated 96W and lower.

I kept explaining to the rep that these Continentals I'm interested in buying are the exact same tires that Tesla puts on the model 3s with the sport wheel upgrades, and that it's even listed on my owner's manual. But they cannot and are not willing to sell me the tires because they don't match the load rating that's on my door jamb. They said that the only way they would sell me the tires is to ask Tesla to switch out the door jamb label (which i'm not even sure is possible?), or I go with 245/40 size at minimum.

I have never experienced this before because I've never gone one size up with aftermarket wheels, so this is so frustratingly bizarre. I specifically opted not to upgrade to the 19 sport wheels when I ordered my car because I knew I would eventually go this direction and get lighter aftermarket 19" wheels anyway.

Has anyone else experienced this when upgrading from 18s to a larger size, or just going one size up on any of your current or previous cars in general? I know I can go with other tire shops, but I have had really good experience with AT with my previous car, and I was hoping to take advantage of their promotions and financing options.

order them online through their website.

So, I'm curious then, is Tesla knowingly equipping all their model 3s who upgrade to 19s with incorrect load ratings? And does that mean that those with 18s equipped with the MXM4s and 20s with the PS4S are the only ones with tires with the correct load rating? This is all new to me, because I figured all the model 3s, whether they be AWD, SR+, P3D, or LR RWD, have the same load rating from factory, or do they not?

Yeah, because some dude at a Discount tire shop knows more about your car than the ARMY of engineers that built and designed the thing....

My guess is it's profit-margin-per-unit driven. They seem to love to sell Pirelli tires as their high end tire of choice.

Simply go to another tire shop. They are as plentiful right now as 7-11s were in the 70s...

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801
order them online through their website.

I was originally going to do that as well, but the OEM Continentals aren't available online. I might try ordering it by phone. But what if I order fine this way, then upon bringing my car in with my new wheels, they then refuse to mount it for me? I would just rather avoid that kind of trouble altogether. I'll probably just go with tire rack if I can't find an AT to do it for me.

Yeah, because some dude at a Discount tire shop knows more about your car than the ARMY of engineers that built and designed the thing....

My guess is it's profit-margin-per-unit driven. They seem to love to sell Pirelli tires as their high end tire of choice.

Simply go to another tire shop. They are as plentiful right now as 7-11s were in the 70s...

My thoughts exactly. I will note though that they just simply refused to sell me any 235/40/19 size tires at all. They said I had to go 245/40 minimum because most of the tires in this size have the 98W load rating.

What I would do if I were you, would be to ask someone in this thread that has OEM 19s to give you a couple of pictures.

1. A picture of the door jam showing the load ratings of their car with OEM 19s.
2. A picture of their OEM tire with all the information on it, including its load rating.

What you really need to know is, are the tires you are trying to buy actually the OEM ones, or just ones with the same name and size? I am no tire expert (far from it), but I do know that, just as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, it is somewhat common for tires to have the same brand and name but NOT be the same.

The OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S that are on my car are different than the same ones that might be the same size you buy online (I believe in this case the difference is the acoustic foam, but am not 100% on that).

you need ALL the ratings of the OEM tires, and since its not very easy to go to a tesla "lot" and take pictures of tires on a lot car, you need at least 1 person to provide you with pics of their OEM 19s with all of the statistics on them, along with the load rating... as well as the door jam label from the same car.

I would do that before I "went to another store" or tried to trick someone into installing them. The load ratings on these cars already assume that if you have a "butt in every seat", and they are adult americans, there is almost no way to stay within load rating and carry much luggage if I remember.

As a business owner I can't disagree with America's Tire selling you "out of specification" tires, especially in "sue happy" California where every city bus and many billboards advertise "accident attorneys" in both multiple languages. For all AmTire knows Teslas with OEM Continentals (ProContact RX) and the optional 19" sport wheel package from the factory have different wheel specifications (load rating, offset, etc.). It's not AmTire's responsibility to sort that out since it coerces AmTire to take some responsibility if you Tesla is in a crash. All the accident attorneys will sue everybody including Tesla, AmTire, and anybody else with a "deep pocket" just to get a "settlement"... basically a "shakedown" with payout since it is cheaper to "settle" than to go to court.

It's a free country. Go somewhere else to get your tires.

Would they only mount it, but then I'd have to put them on my car myself?

Yes, you would need a jack, four jackstands, a breaker bar, and a torque wrench. These are good tools to have anyway. It’s good to know how to put on and remove wheels/tires. But on that note, absolutely verify the load rating of the tires although I’m sure it’s perfectly fine.

What you really need to know is, are the tires you are trying to buy actually the OEM ones, or just ones with the same name and size? I am no tire expert (far from it), but I do know that, just as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, it is somewhat common for tires to have the same brand and name but NOT be the same.
I totally get what you're saying, and I was very clear about this with them and double checked to make sure to clarify the exact tires. They confirmed that the tires in question are/were in fact the OEM Continentals, with the TO Tesla designation on them. They still insisted that they could not sell it to me.

Yes, you would need a jack, four jackstands, a breaker bar, and a torque wrench. These are good tools to have anyway. It’s good to know how to put on and remove wheels/tires. But on that note, absolutely verify the load rating of the tires although I’m sure it’s perfectly fine.

I'm no gear head by any stretch, but I definitely know how to put on and remove tires/wheels. I would just prefer not to go through that trouble myself anymore, esp if i'm paying hundreds for their product.

As for the tires, these are the exact ones I asked them about. The load rating is 96W, whereas my OEM door jamb label doesn't even list 98W anywhere, only the tire sizes it came with.

Let’s say they did sell you the tires and installed them for you. You have an accident where it was found the tires were a contributing factor. They’d be in some deep trouble if anyone was killed/injured. Just saying.

If they did install the Continental ProContact RX by Tesla, I would think it's Tesla that's responsible since they're the ones equipping all of their customers who opt for 19" wheels with these tires straight out of the factory and letting third party vendors sell them out. The only technicality they're going by is that my car was originally equipped with 18" 235/45/18 with 98W load rating. Again, I would not argue the danger of this if IN FACT, those other Model 3s out there originally equipped with 19" sport wheels with the SAME Continental ProContact RX tires, really have a different engineering design that allows for a 96W load rating.