Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMP and subwoofer upgrade..????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am by no means new to car audio. Many systems spanning over decades. Thanks to my Uncle. (God rest his Soul, Jim Fosgate) I have had crazy systems both in home and car. My last home theatre build I had 32 12" subs all hidden in the stage seating and in the wall. Now I only use 2 small 21" subs. So to say the least I am a little underwhelmed from the bass in my MX p100d. I would like to tap into the system and add a small amp and a more capable sub. The internet is crawling with M3 and MY even MS upgrade options. I cant find any on the MX as far as prebuild kits or what others have used. Have any of you put in an amp and upgraded the sub in the MX. Would love to know what others have done and what the outcome was. Thanks

I am by no means new to car audio. Many systems spanning over decades. Thanks to my Uncle. (God rest his Soul, Jim Fosgate) I have had crazy systems both in home and car. My last home theatre build I had 32 12" subs all hidden in the stage seating and in the wall. Now I only use 2 small 21" subs. So to say the least I am a little underwhelmed from the bass in my MX p100d. I would like to tap into the system and add a small amp and a more capable sub. The internet is crawling with M3 and MY even MS upgrade options. I cant find any on the MX as far as prebuild kits or what others have used. Have any of you put in an amp and upgraded the sub in the MX. Would love to know what others have done and what the outcome was. Thanks

I guess no one has! Have you gotten any further on this?

I guess no one has! Have you gotten any further on this?
Bought some Hertz MPK 163.3 Mille Pro's for the front. This is a 3 way system. 1" Tweets. 3" Mids and 6.5 midbass. I Bought a nvx 750.1 amp with a nvx dps. I will be putting in a JL 10w6 in the original location. Seems this is the best sub in a 10" that will work with a .88 cubic foot box that the MX comes stock with. Still shopping currently. Photos and videos to follow the journey. This is gonna consume some free time that I have little of... LOL

Reactions: henderrj
Here is the amp I went with Rockford Fosgate t1000x5ad. Super small amp that kicks a punch. I was looking at JL HD series but I felt this amp would be a better fit for this install. I will be selling My NVX 750 amp that I bought for my sub as this new amp will power the entire system. The amp has some really nice features. No remote wire will be needed if I use high level input from the stock system. The amp will auto turn off and on when power from the speaker input is detected. So I may not use a Line converter as this amp has one built in. Anything I can do to minimize power draw will be a plus.

Last of the parts bought today.

AudioControl LC7i Black 6-Channel Line Output Converter with Bass Restoration​

Rear speakers

Rockford Fosgate T1650-S Power 6.50" 2-Way Component Speaker System with External Crossover (Pair)​

and amp install kit​

Elite Audio 4 Gauge 100% Copper Pro Amp Kit EA-PROK4 4000 Watt Complete OFC Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit w/ 20 feet 0 Ga Copper Wire, 2-Channel Copper RCA Interconnects, 12 Gauge OFC Speaker Wire​

• Informative
Well, Amp is installed..
Not hard cables went from frunk battery to amp.
Routed cable from battery to driver door.
Then into the car then to the under seat.

In total I needed 8 Channles For LOC.
I used these a 2 channel and a 6 channel and a built in line converter in the amp for the sub woofer.
I had to grab audio signal from Tweet, Mid and woofer. This used a total of 6 channels on my LC7i LOC. Summing was used to bring all 3 signals to output to one from line out on the AC7i.

The Amp went under driver seat.
Remote wire.. Could not find. Installed a switch for remote wire. I will keep looking.

Subwoofer installed in the stock box. I had to use a jigsaw to open up the diameter of the hole to install the 10" subwoofer.

I also had to trim the AC conduit to be able to not hit the sub.. Still close..

This was a lot of work.

I had to use the LC2i on the rear speakers. The mid bass woofer was producing both mid and high FQ. This took both channles of My LC2i for rear spakers.

The sub was connected directly to the amp for the Line in.

The dash had to come out to get to mid's installed. What a Pain in my ass.

The new sub Hits very very hard Super please. It gets very very low. I tested the sub in the house before I put it in the car and was worried it would not sound that great. I messed around sealing the box and just leaving it ported. The amp in the house kept clipping when when sealed and the sub moved way too much. I had it hooked up to a Crown 4000 watt amp in the house only one side of the amp so 2k to the sub. Obviously I did not turn it up all the way.

When it went in the car being in the side/rear of the car firing down it loaded the sub much like a 6th order box. The bass is strong enough to shake my steering wheel when hitting the low low bass. All the Audio control units for the low line converters went under the floor in the 3rd row. I did not want the amp to go there as the amp got way to hot to be covered backup by the floor. For this reason it went under drivers seat. All in all a very successful install other then not finding a remote turn on wire. I have read a few posts about installing a relay for this. I will update when I figure that aspect out.

• Informative
123_1.JPEG
123_1 (1).JPEG
123_1 (2).JPEG

Reactions: davezforce
The new sub Hits very very hard Super please. It gets very very low. I tested the sub in the house before I put it in the car and was worried it would not sound that great. I messed around sealing the box and just leaving it ported. The amp in the house kept clipping when when sealed and the sub moved way too much. I had it hooked up to a Crown 4000 watt amp in the house only one side of the amp so 2k to the sub. Obviously I did not turn it up all the way.

When it went in the car being in the side/rear of the car firing down it loaded the sub much like a 6th order box. The bass is strong enough to shake my steering wheel when hitting the low low bass. All the Audio control units for the low line converters went under the floor in the 3rd row. I did not want the amp to go there as the amp got way to hot to be covered backup by the floor. For this reason it went under drivers seat. All in all a very successful install other then not finding a remote turn on wire. I have read a few posts about installing a relay for this. I will update when I figure that aspect out.
Watching this closely as well. Thank you so much for sharing. Please keep us posted once you figure out the sentry issue. That’s the last thing that’s holding me back from starting.

I will he holding my breath for this answer as I have a kicker CXA400.1 and an 8 inch kicker sub ready to install... This was what I was going to do (USB REM)... Haven't seen anyone else talk about it... but I'd be much more comfy doing it with you testing it first :)

HOPE IT WORKS!!!