Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An apology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we should all just be glad we don't have to drive on Russian roads/streets.... Watched a few Car-Crash Compilation's last night and 95% of them were Russian, **** is epic-screwy over there, most of their roads don't have lines or lights.... People cross lanes and pull U-turns out of the blue....

And I would GLADLY drive alongside a person ripping around in a tricked out car (should they show they can actually control it) than drive alongside a 'Cell-phone junky texter'.

I think the reason why we see so many crazy russian driving videos is because in russia, dashcams are pretty popular compared to anywhere else due to insurance fraud.

This isn't a souped up honda civic forum. This is for a premium, high performance vehicle. Most people here didn't get to the point in their lives where they can afford a Model S by being irresponsible or stupid, and I don't think we need to mother one another.

Unless you want to make me a grilled cheese sandwich. Then I'd invite that :)

I for one loved the story! Definitely not the kind of thing my SO or I would ever attempt, but that's why I like it. I get to live vicariously through you, OP :D. Also, to those who are complaining, he said he apologizes right there in the title! lol :tongue:

And so do video games, and movies. Give it a rest people... And not just the above poster.
Why does this board have so many mothers on it. If this offends the people who like to tell others what to do, too bad. At least Nigel was cool about it.

Why give it a rest? It's a discussion board. Not everyone has to agree with everything. If we did, that would be boring. You can have your view and I can have mine. I respect yours and you should respect mine. There's no need to name call.

Actually, calling people a mother is not name calling -- sorry to my mother! ;)

I'd prefer if you did no dangerous driving rather than "far less dangerous driving".

I also don't get comparing one form of dangerous driving with another to show that you are not as bad as some others. In my view, driving a high performance car the way it's meant to be driven is for the track. Not for public roads. We have family members we cherish out there and driving on the side of caution, and avoiding provocation from other drivers, is taking the high road and in my opinion makes you look much classier in your car.

That is true but another reason for so many of these videos is that there's so much fraud in Russia a dash cam is an absolute necessity.

I understand your position and certainly agree to a point. The point where I disagree is where you say that we should only drive performance cars as such on the track. I haven't been to your part of BC lately, but I don't recall seeing many tracks around, and we certainly don't have easy access to them in California either. In fact, other than with motorcycles, I've never been on a track and I suspect that more than 99% of people who buy and own performance cars haven't been on tracks.

There is certainly a middle ground here, and I believe I am treading upon it. I have no death wish, so my goal is to be as safe as you want your family members to be kept. But when there is an otherwise open road and an apparent opportunity to push the performance car to its limits, I will absolutely do it. Just as one should not live life taking unnecessary dangerous risks, one shouldn't live life avoiding reasonable risks.

There is certainly a middle ground here, and I believe I am treading upon it. I have no death wish, so my goal is to be as safe as you want your family members to be kept. But when there is an otherwise open road and an apparent opportunity to push the performance car to its limits, I will absolutely do it. Just as one should not live life taking unnecessary dangerous risks, one shouldn't live life avoiding reasonable risks.

Point taken and you seem to have a good understanding of when and where risk taking is appropriate. We could all live our lives in rubber rooms, with helmets and body armor but life would sure be boring. I agree that everything has to be put to the standard of reasonableness. Hearing your explanation, my concern is not so much about you but others who take similar action without your precautions. The again, I understand that you are not responsible for their actions and just because someone else may not act reasonably, that should not prevent you from posting your experience here.

I note you did start the thread with a title such that you expected a bit of blow back and it made for an interesting and spirited debate. Stay safe buddy!

This isn't a souped up honda civic forum. This is for a premium, high performance vehicle. Most people here didn't get to the point in their lives where they can afford a Model S by being irresponsible or stupid, and I don't think we need to mother one another.

VTEC just kicked in, yo! (Had to say it… in honor of the defeated Acura. I drive a Civic.)

I took the new P85D up highway 1 for the first time yesterday. Somewhere between Jenner and Stewarts Point I did something that I have to apologize for.

I was cruising along in insane mode, testing out the limits of the AWD system (as compared to my old P85, which often got a bit loose in corners on this road) when two cars came out of nowhere and passed me. One was a new BMW M3, the other a murdered out Acura that clearly had been turbocharged to within an inch of its life. I wasn't looking for a race, but if you know the road, especially when it starts getting really twisty, you know that it's basically a race track perched on the edge of the continental US.

So I pulled off to the side of the road, gave the BMW and Acura a 60 second head start, then took off to find them.

It didn't take long and I caught the Acura first. Coming out of a really tight turn, I hit the throttle and it was like the Acura suddenly went into reverse. Seriously, the ability of the P85D to explode out of a tight turn and accelerate to scary speeds is worth the cost of the car.

The BMW was a bit further ahead and I caught him on just as the road straightened. And again, the BMW vanished, quickly, into my rear view mirror, but I heard him beep his horn a few times. I am pretty sure that he was beeping out of respect for what just happened to him...

While I really wish the next gen seats were in the car (especially on these twisties). the AWD truly turns the P85D into a highway 1 racer. No more worries about the rear end flying loose.

Plus, the power usage wasn't more than 10% in excess of what the P85 used in prior trips.

So to the boy racers out there, I apologize. You got blown away by a four door electric car.
Thanx for posting this, Eclectic!

I myself am not a drag-race kind of guy, I come from driving AWD sport cars on track, twisties and snow/ice. I was getting a bit worried the P85D was all about sprinting from 0-60.. Reading this lightens my day a lot, making the wait for my P85D even worse, in a good way :)

Last edited:
I understand your position and certainly agree to a point. The point where I disagree is where you say that we should only drive performance cars as such on the track. I haven't been to your part of BC lately, but I don't recall seeing many tracks around, and we certainly don't have easy access to them in California either.

We used to race at Westwood all the time.

This is an unbelievable thread. The OP is proud of the fact he is racing other cars on a public highway. And some people think that is cool. It is not.

I am waiting for a P85D. I have my own reasons for wanting this car and none of them involve racing other drivers. I already know that I have bought one of the fastest cars around. I feel no need to prove it to anyone else and certainly no need to put the lives of other road users in danger.

I understand your position and certainly agree to a point. The point where I disagree is where you say that we should only drive performance cars as such on the track. I haven't been to your part of BC lately, but I don't recall seeing many tracks around, and we certainly don't have easy access to them in California either.
We don't? One of the things I was most excited about in moving from the midwest was how many high-quality tracks we have within easy driving distance from the SF Bay Area. Sonoma and Laguna are, what, an hour's drive? A little further and we have Thunderhill. And that's just the road courses. I used to drive 8 hours down to Virginia International. We're extremely lucky here to have such easy access to world-class facilities.