Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An EV Named Desire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking over the development of things since the 3 reveal at the end of March I haven't seen much in the realms of what can be added for an accurate representation of the real cost of the highly anticipated Model 3.
Things we know 35K gets you:
Supercharging
Auto-pilot
4-door and Room for 5
At least 200 miles of range

I'm creating this thread to simply ask:
IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU, and WHY???

-Model3G

-uhh well there's debate whether supercharging will actually be free. Of course it comes supercharging capable.

-It comes with autopilot hardware and safety features (like AEB) but the car doesn't come with autopilot (convenience features).

-many cars are four door and seat five

-200 mi range looks like might be the average come 2018. Is that all you've got Tesla?

Now, I don't plan on getting the base model but my hope for the base model is for free supercharging and greater than the minimum 215 mi range... I hope they surprise us and blow away the competition.

Supercharging: nice to have access but only when I need it, which won't be often.
Autopilot: safety features only. Don't need full boat autosteer.
Four door w/room for five pax: essential.
200 miles range: plenty for my mission.
Robin

I personally was looking for a 20% smaller and lighter model S, with similar interior features, yet better handling and performance, and greater maximum range presumably due to reduced weight and drag. If Tesla wants compelling competition with BMW's 3-series offerings as stated, these things need to somehow be build options.
Everything being equal, I'd rather drive a car with greater potential to reduce carbon emissions and not be dependent on oil.

Reactions: Model3G
-uhh well there's debate whether supercharging will actually be free. Of course it comes supercharging capable.

-It comes with autopilot hardware and safety features (like AEB) but the car doesn't come with autopilot (convenience features).

-many cars are four door and seat five

-200 mi range looks like might be the average come 2018. Is that all you've got Tesla?

Now, I don't plan on getting the base model but my hope for the base model is for free supercharging and greater than the minimum 215 mi range... I hope they surprise us and blow away the competition.

I would agree and hope for the best, but that leads me to ask, what are you thinking your out the door pricing will be? What else are you looking to add?

Supercharging: nice to have access but only when I need it, which won't be often.
Autopilot: safety features only. Don't need full boat autosteer.
Four door w/room for five pax: essential.
200 miles range: plenty for my mission.
Robin

I think supercharging is great for traveling, and I'm thinking that is the only time I would use it. Otherwise my daily commute to work would be fueled by charging at home the night before.
I think the 35K sounds like more than enough if you are with low commuting needs. I.e. Travel less than 100miles in a day

what are you thinking your out the door pricing will be? What else are you looking to add?

If we overestimate:
The base AWD version to be $40k the upgrade to performance version with Ludicrous is likely under 30k more with a bigger battery. My hope is that on the model 3 this actually ends up being less than $60k instead of $70k.
Then there are heated seats, all glass roof, autopilot etc so maybe $75k plus tax, etc

Being realistic:
It's in Tesla best interest for the use of inconel contacts in all battery packs going forward. We should assume that's a given. So the difference between an AWD version and the P AWD version is the rear motor (unless I'm missing something) so for a rear electric motor and a software upgrade on the Model S costs $30,000. If the majority of that isn't profit then somebody's getting a bad deal.
Realistically they could probably get away with $15k total for the upgraded motor and software and still make bank. If they did this then you'd be talking $55k for Ludicrous which undercuts the BMW M3. Add in other upgrades and it'll take you to $60-65k while they can still rake in profits.

If you could get a fully loaded Model 3 for the base price of a BMW M3 I think people will go crazy with joy.

Reactions: Model3G
Was Elon stating the 3 would be capable or it would be fully functional with supercharging?
During the reveal event, he said "Supercharging" while the graphic behind him said "Supercharging capability". The Model 3 webpage's reference to Supercharging has been reworded several times. I believe during the test drives, someone asked one of the Tesla drivers if Supercharging would be enabled by default and he replied that they were still undecided.

• Helpful
Reactions: Unchangeable
It would be helpful to know what's mandated as standard in MY2018 cars, such as TPM, traction control, rear backup camera (?). I'd like lane change assist, front collision warning, adaptive cruise control, adaptive headlights. Boo to self-parking, lane wandering warnings and foot-activated lift gates.