Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Owner Documented His Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very funny but true. Been there, done that, doing that! Wife gets hit in head, I get doors closed on my legs. Nobody.. Nobody... touches the door latch except the pilot. I'm the pilot. The poor wife and kids are totally paranoid to touch almost anything. She has said multiple times " this car is too fancy for me". I continue to tell her just don't worry about it. The 22" wheels already look like crap from curb rash. I tell her to just drive it. I'm not sure how much more curb rash the wheels can handle but we are about to find out.
I would love to be around a bunch of rowdy soccer kids with an untrained soccer mom using this car. I'm pretty sure it would need to be towed home first time out. Maybe we could at least put cool FWD's in the air while it's being towed.
I know the topic is not funny but several of you are dealing with it in very good humor :)

Even with the FWD issues, I still love them. I would most likely not own the car if it wasn't for the cool FWD's. This may have to do with having a 9yr old boy who thinks he has the modern day "Back to the future" upgraded vehicle. It never gets old watching others reaction when they go up. I have no shame in putting them up as much as possible. I will click the remote to open doors while inside a restaurant. People look at it like "It's going to fly away". In fact with a little modification this car could fly. The remote has awesome range! I will open the doors while sitting at a red light. Part of the fun is embarrassing the family. "Dad!!!! Put the doors down!" The power is like no other car on the planet.
I think if they can get the QC fixed they will have a winner. Maybe they should get a new QC general.

Reactions: xkwizit
Even with the FWD issues, I still love them. I would most likely not own the car if it wasn't for the cool FWD's. This may have to do with having a 9yr old boy who thinks he has the modern day "Back to the future" upgraded vehicle. It never gets old watching others reaction when they go up. I have no shame in putting them up as much as possible. I will click the remote to open doors while inside a restaurant. People look at it like "It's going to fly away". In fact with a little modification this car could fly. The remote has awesome range! I will open the doors while sitting at a red light. Part of the fun is embarrassing the family. "Dad!!!! Put the doors down!" The power is like no other car on the planet.
I think if they can get the QC fixed they will have a winner. Maybe they should get a new QC general.
Yep..the FWD was what got me to buy the car. And yeah lots of people ask to see them opening. As in one of the threads a while ago someone said, this car passes for any other Tesla till the FWDs open. Then it's like you stepped out with Taylor Swift.

I even like showing others how the falcon wing doors occasionally close halfway and how you can either hold or press the red button multiple times to see the doors close. The potential customers get concerned as my arm gets hidden by the door, but I know that eventually the door will continue to close without stopping again, giving time to pull the arm from the door area and prevent an injury from occurring.

Very funny but true. Been there, done that, doing that! Wife gets hit in head, I get doors closed on my legs. Nobody.. Nobody... touches the door latch except the pilot. I'm the pilot. The poor wife and kids are totally paranoid to touch almost anything. She has said multiple times " this car is too fancy for me". I continue to tell her just don't worry about it. The 22" wheels already look like crap from curb rash. I tell her to just drive it. I'm not sure how much more curb rash the wheels can handle but we are about to find out.
I would love to be around a bunch of rowdy soccer kids with an untrained soccer mom using this car. I'm pretty sure it would need to be towed home first time out. Maybe we could at least put cool FWD's in the air while it's being towed.

For the wheels there is AlloyGator - Protect Your Wheels From Kerb Damage I haven't gotten it yet, but it is part of the XPel/CQuartz detailing I'm having done to my X when I'm away for 10 days next month. I curbed my 20" passenger wheel the first week I had my X.

What problems? I researched the alternatives and these were the ones that were reported as lasting. All the others eventually fell off after short periods of time.
The alloygaters can come off and then do alot of paint damage. I used Rimblades on my S after washing the wheels early on. Waiting for my next rotation to put on a new set. Rimblades are rubber. I had one come off and all it did was rub a little rubber that buffed right off.

What problems? I researched the alternatives and these were the ones that were reported as lasting. All the others eventually fell off after short periods of time.

A cautionary tale: I've had Alloygators on the BGC for over three years now, and they have saved me a time or two. But apparently at some point one of them had taken enough abuse. This morning on the freeway, I suddenly heard a very loud sound just like a machine gun. After a few seconds it got a little better, but still really bad. I pulled off (and the banging slowed as the car did, so I knew it was something about my car) and found that there was about 16 inches of gator left, half in the wheel, the other half just hanging out. Looking back, I could see the rest of the gator at the side of the freeway a way back. The machine gun noise was the hanging out bit banging on the rear bumper and rear fender wheel well. I wasn't in a safe place on the freeway, so after trying, and failing, to remove what was left I was forced to drive further. The damage to the fender is actually pretty severe. I will almost certainly have to claim insurance to get it fixed. So keep an eye on those Alloygators; if they look at all damaged, replace them or just take them off. Now that the reversing camera has lines, I haven't done much curb rash any more, so maybe I won't replace it. The recent damage was a tight turn near a curb, not parking.

Dirt gets between the plastic and the rim. As you drive, the tire & plastic flexes slightly and grinds the dirt into the paint, and takes the paint off. Last time I replaced my tires, I pulled all of them off, all four wheels had finish damage around the edges.

I made sure I had them installed correctly and that they were seated all the way up against the rim.

Here's an example of the type of paint damage you see:
View attachment 104487

If I were to pull that AG off, you would see that peeling paint around the entire rim.

Like I said earlier, I don't recommend against them, it's just that I had that experience. All 4 wheels ended up with the paint ground off in my case, and it was distributed thoroughly under each of the alloygators (so it wasn't a curb hit or something that created a one-time crack).

It could be the fact I didn't put special protectant on the rim. It could be the fact that we have winters and small cinders get spread on the road and they have a better chance of ending up between the gators and the wheel where they get to experience the grind. There are probably some factors we aren't even thinking of.

I had a similar experience (I had both the coming off and banging up my car, and the scratched paint under the gators). I've got a brand new set in my garage and haven't put them on any of our new wheels.

...sort of reinforces my dislike of unions and entrenched individuals...

It was not the union that created the rule of Quantity over Quality.

It was management who held on to that rule since Henry Ford:

"What Henry Ford had basically designed was a system that he wanted the people on the floor to simply get the volume out. Get the product out the door. And someone later will worry about the quality. If we have to repair it, we'll repair it."

Your chrome finish is mis-aligned? Your door gap is wide? Your Falcon Wings hit the ceiling? DO NOT STOP THE LINE if you want to keep your job!

Just keep cranking all those mistakes out and let customers and Service Centers to figure out a solution.

Once you create that culture, it's a tough nut to crack even after you fire all those union workers.

It was not the union that created the rule of Quantity over Quality.

It was management who held on to that rule since Henry Ford:

"What Henry Ford had basically designed was a system that he wanted the people on the floor to simply get the volume out. Get the product out the door. And someone later will worry about the quality. If we have to repair it, we'll repair it."

Your chrome finish is mis-aligned? Your door gap is wide? Your Falcon Wings hit the ceiling? DO NOT STOP THE LINE if you want to keep your job!

Just keep cranking all those mistakes out and let customers and Service Centers to figure out a solution.

Once you create that culture, it's a tough nut to crack even after you fire all those union workers.

Yes, but if you listen to the whole program, after Nummi worked with the 'new' concepts, it was the other factories and GM bosses/employees that couldn't let go of the old days. In fact, in light of this, I think I actually have a better feeling for what "new GM" REALLY means. It was a way to get a clean start and do what many had been trying to do.... maybe :p

No..what I said was let's talk of quality problems with cars produced now not 5 months back.

I am not denying that there were issues early on with these cars but it's not as if Tesla ha also not only acknowledged but they have also been fixing them.

So what matters is what are the problems with the cars produced recently like in April not cars that were one of the first to roll off in December.
If you were one of the owners to receive a car in a similar shape as the OP of the video was, you would certainly care. We are now 7 months into the X launch and where it the empirical evidence that this is all straightened out? There are plenty of posters in these forums who are both satisfied and disappointed with qc issues. I recently saw the video and honestly was horrified and felt let down as a SH that something even remotely as flawed as this was offered to a customer who paid over $100,000.00! To minimize or demonize does not help Tesla improve their product. YouTube has exposed many a flawed products. This one was no different. This is the reality we live in now, for better or worse.

Reactions: sukhi