Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And now for something completely different... Tesla Bike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla would consider engineering and manufacturing a Tesla branded electric bicycle? Yes, I know that there are other EV bikes out there, but I don't think that they are all that popular. Can you even name one by brand? Knowing Tesla's method of throwing conventional wisdom out the window and thinking out-of-the-box, I would love to see what they would come up with.

This could be a good move not only for practical applications, but for PR as well. I'm seeing something that could have about a 25mph top speed, 50 mile range, and be mounted on a Tesla sedan and used when you have to charge your Model S/X six blocks from your hotel, meeting spot, or your brother's house that doesn't have a 240V outlet. I'm seeing something that could be compatible with commercial charging stations or even a Tesla SC (you could charge it up in, what, a minute?). I'm thinking of something that would have no physical chain connecting it to the wheels, but the speed would be controlled by how fast you pedal along with adjustable resistance for exercise or even for putting power back into the battery to extend the range a bit.

Best of all, it would put a real Tesla into the hands of the great unwashed (such as myself) who could never afford a Tesla car. Good PR to get the little people involved, don't you think? It wouldn't take much in the way of factory floor space or tons of money to start up. You could even sell it, and the carrying mount (able to carry one or two e-bikes), as an accessory on the car.

Tesla has a lot of street cred right now...why not capitalize on that?

Last edited:
With a top speed of 25mph and a range of 50 miles it would be more like an electric moped as opposed to a bicycle. The idea is great and i think they would sell like hot cakes however i think Elon and company need to concentrate on the Model X and Gen III before they go this route.

With a top speed of 25mph and a range of 50 miles it would be more like an electric moped as opposed to a bicycle. The idea is great and i think they would sell like hot cakes however i think Elon and company need to concentrate on the Model X and Gen III before they go this route.

My thoughts are to keep it looking like a bicycle as opposed to a moped. Besides, in most states if it has pedals, it's a bicycle (no license required). If it doesn't have pedals, it's considered a motorcycle and requires a motorcycle license, license plates and insurance. I don't know if pedals connected to a generator/throttle and not connected to the rear wheel would slip into the "bicycle" catagory or not. The image and link below is an example....

bike-640x360.jpg
The Footloose, from Mando.

I was thinking that this was something they could do, kind of on the side, that wouldn't require much in the way or resources and something to keep any idle engineers busy, but would still generate good PR and get the Tesla name out there to the general public and not just car and stock enthusiasts. 7 out of 10 people I talk to still haven't heard of Tesla Motors.

Last edited:
I think a Tesla bike would be available within 20 years (assuming company is around that long). It's something that most automakers do - merchandising! BMW etc. have all got their own "branded" bikes...

Just hopefully the Tesla-branded bike would be electric as well...

I love my model S and I like the idea of a Tesla EV bike, BUT I'd rather see their energies go into the Gen III vehicle.

I totally agree, I'd pretty much like to see all energy going into Gen III and then a pickup truck even more-so. But at some point I think a bike would be a really cool idea. I like the idea of a partnership with Home - Renovo Hardwood Bicycles . They make beautiful wooden framed bikes that also happen to be hollow--lot's of opportunity space for batteries and systems. I've seen these in person and they are pretty much works of art that are also very strong.