Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And the purpose of blasting a Roadster into Geosynchronous orbit is....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Purpose?"

Are you kidding?

Just another example of how much smarter Elon is than the average person. He tends to hate advertising--it's a huge expense which he would much rather spend on making his products better.

What an perfect example of massive, free, "advertising" for both Tesla and SpaceX, and so much more cool than sending a few tons of concrete into space which was the normal SOP for a test launch . . . .

I just grabbed this off the live feed.
star3.png

You could just call this "art", too, and that's a fine answer for me.

Not only does this confirm to the world the link between Tesla and SpaceX it garnered a $Billion of free publicity.

How many other people are capable of launching their really cool electric sports car into a orbit around the sun, stopping by Mars on the way.

It also has a bunch of scientific sensors to gather data that can be used when they begin to send people to colonize Mars.

Going through the Van Allen Radiation belt will send back tons of data. They need to know what they will be facing when they send people.

Reactions: Nvbob and kavyboy
"And the purpose of blasting a Roadster into Geosynchronous orbit is...."

... to avoid repeating the last test payload, which was a giant wheel of cheese.

What, did you want them to send up a boring block of concrete as a payload test mass?

Ferrari spent $476 million on Formula One racing in 2016.

Elon is better at marketing than Ferrari.

But I can't help but wonder if the Roadster is the one that broke in Malibu and is being banished from the Kingdom... ;)
No, this is an original Roadster 2.5, circa 2009/2010. (@TEG could tell us for sure). It isn't a newly announced one.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and McRat