Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andersen EV charger support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the only way that would happen if the developers of the app helped out and gave us some inside knowledge of any safe mode or way to connect to the charger, in reality most people only used it for setting Octopus Go charging times.
All they'd need to do is publish an open API. Then people could control the device through, for example, Home Assistant. Some of the Andersens are OCCP compatible which should mean that they can be controlled by an OCCP compatible application.

Its a standard problem with IOT devices- if they are dependent on a remote server then they are bricked if the manufacturer takes the server offline. Open APIs or something like Home Assistant integrations are the future.

Reactions: davidmc
All they'd need to do is publish an open API. Then people could control the device through, for example, Home Assistant. Some of the Andersens are OCCP compatible which should mean that they can be controlled by an OCCP compatible application.
Yes sadly they had plenty of time to implement and make such things openly available to the end consumer which they didn't, I don't think it will happen now and I suspect legally nobody will be allowed to push mass updates now using the bankrupt companies systems and would be down to the company that eventually takes the company over.

On another note I have turned the internet connection off for the charger and it is staying on with a green light without any issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Unfortunately it isn’t easy to predict whether any of the current car charger companies will be around in years to come, so it’s good advice to go for ones with open standards. Interestingly both the Easee One and Simpson & Partners chargers have Open API while the Hypervolt and S&P have Bluetooth control, so shoukd still work if the cloud functionality stops. It will be interesting to see if other charger manufacturers who currently have closed systems follow suit.

I heard from an installer that the administrators have intentionally left the app working, so hopefully this means there is less chance of it going down imminently, makes sense as there is value in the customer base for the potential buyer.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
My Anderson lost connection some time last night (although the app is still showing the table of usage so may not be connected to the administration)! The app does still allow me to slide between enabled and disabled which is a bit odd as I assume it'd need connection to do this? - Although I have no idea if this actually works as I can't see the charger as I'm not at home! Tbh this is a big concern I have, that someone could simply park on my drive during the day while I'm at work and help themselves to some free electricity.

My Anderson lost connection some time last night (although the app is still showing the table of usage so may not be connected to the administration)! The app does still allow me to slide between enabled and disabled which is a bit odd as I assume it'd need connection to do this? - Although I have no idea if this actually works as I can't see the charger as I'm not at home! Tbh this is a big concern I have, that someone could simply park on my drive during the day while I'm at work and help themselves to some free electricity.
Click it off at the board if concerned. In the 3+ years on this forum there has never been an issue reported regarding someone stealing "free electricity" on an outside home charge point ... so not really an issue.

By all accounts (according to the electrician) it was very straight forward. The existing Andersen wiring was used and I have had no issues with the Zappi.
In an at the time probably warranty limiting action I had my Andersen off the wall a few weeks ago to have some rendering done. Very simple dis mount and re mount. Monitored it with an IR cam for the first charge to make sure I'd got all the connections solid.

Guess that warranty violation is one less thing to worry about now.

Reactions: Durzel and Adopado
Google search brought me here as I also have an Andersen charger.

I've been mulling over workarounds and thought this may help. Replace the mcb in the board going to the charger with one of these and you get back remote functionality, timers, power consumption etc.
Screenshot_20221017-204150_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221017-204134_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221017-204134_Samsung Internet.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20221017-204200_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221017-204200_Samsung Internet.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 38
Breakers need to be type approved in the U.K. to be compliant. Anything like this is highly likely to be non compliant.

If you have a consumer unit made by say Hager, the only breakers that will be type approved are made by the same company, the same is for every other manufacturer.

I've been mulling over workarounds and thought this may help. Replace the mcb in the board going to the charger with one of these and you get back remote functionality, timers, power consumption etc.
There are smart breakers available but seems a little overkill for the job, since I disconnected the app from the internet its always on and now just use the scheduled charging start on the Tesla app and it works fine, obvs set the max percentage so it keeps in the charging period you want though

Its a standard problem with IOT devices- if they are dependent on a remote server then they are bricked if the manufacturer takes the server offline. Open APIs or something like Home Assistant integrations are the future.
IMHO, when the government only allowed smart chargers under the olev/ozev grant, they should off defined an open standard of operation that would not be reliant on the manufacturers backend equipment to keep the smart functionality alive. Being that many andersen chargers were part of this scheme, it should be down to the government to prop up the servers/smart functionality....just a rant.

I've been mulling over workarounds and thought this may help. Replace the mcb in the board going to the charger with one of these and you get back remote functionality, timers, power consumption etc. View attachment 864809
you can of course use a contactor and then connect it to any internet switch you like.
I am currently running my hot water using one of these:
and a Sonoff internet switch. does not give me the power usage of course (but does allow me to monitor temperature via the Sonoff)

you can of course use a contactor and then connect it to any internet switch you like.
The issue with this sort of approach is that the contractor is not a direct feed to the car. It has to pass through the charger which essentially is a computer that you would be rebooting every from cold and also not powering down properly which is fine for the odd occasion of system malfunction. Imho the charger will live a very short life in this fashion.

Reactions: Jason71 and Durzel