Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anderson A2 not charging, any one had similar issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to charge the car last night, and it was working fine, then I noticed it stopped at 76%.

I had a look at the app and it said not connected, wiped app data and cache, then had to reset the app on th A2 and connect to WiFi again. Still not working, switched off the fuse on the RCD (reset in their words), then let it boot back up, still not working.

Took the car to a public charge point and it works first time.

At home the charger has a green light, app is green, connect charger, it clicks starting charging appears on Tesla screen, then it stop charging.

Just wondering if anyone had anything similar, not sure if we have a separate area for charging issues, when it isn't the car.

Thanks jim

Hi Jim,

I’d try and get some diagnostics information from trying a few things:

* Plugging it in afresh and asking it to start charging - what sort of colours do you see on the charge port LED? They can indicate an issue in negotiation between the charge port and the car;

* Is the A2 doing some form of scheduling and with-holding power? Turn that off so it’s a vanilla charger without smarts...

* Does the UMC work (the three pin UK plug charger the car came with)?

Just some suggestions - apologies if patronising/wrongly pitched... but might help...

Reactions: j1mgg
Thanks for the replies.

It was last night it happened as I noticed the car had stopped at 76%, at the same time I done the latest update. Maybe it has different sync from a public charger, highly unlikely and just coincidence.

I have done a car reset (brake and two steering wheel buttons), and also switched the charged off at the fuse and let it do a full reboot.

When I plug in the charger, the Tesla app says something along the lines of negotiating, then goes to starting charging, this is when the charger led goes from solid green to solid amber, then the Tesla app goes to stop charging, and the charger led goes back to a solid green.

If I try to start charging again using the Tesla app, it quickly goes to starting back to stopped.

• Love
Reactions: Zakalwe
Got the kids to bed.

This time I switched the charger off at the fuse for 10mins, and then let it reboot.

Done the steering wheel buttons and brake reset, not sure if holding the brake does anything more. Let it boot back up.

I plugged it in, it started, done nothing, then stopped, but this time I got

"Unable to ac charge - unplug and retry"

Connected the granny charger to a wall socket in the garage, and it is charging fine.

I have read roughly something about sometimes tolerances are changed in updates, and the wall charger may be outside this and causing the issue. That is all I have to go on just now.

Sounds promising if the UMC is working - your car’s onboard AC charger is capable of something at least (the supercharger doesn’t use it).

Are you hearing the A2’s relay/contactor go thunk when it tries to start? As the UMC is working, the finger of blame’s turning to the A2 obviously. Any moisture in the connector? Maybe try the A2 but limit the current to a UMC 10A on the cars UI to start with? Fairly rubbish test - but all I can think of to get any joy from the A2.

Does the warnings/notifications log in Service give you any more info?

Phone Andersen to see if they can get anything from the A2? Then maybe Tesla and they might tell you if there’s anything in the car’s logs ref a charger fault or something.

Reactions: j1mgg
I’m having similar problem or I think I am...New to Tesla just had the car for less than 3 week...Home charger is generation 3....now I have a flashing 1 green light when it’s on standby...when I go to charge it...no issues...it will start charging and then within 30 sec I will hear a click and the wall charger will be out of lights and stop charging....it has a 50amp breaker...the electrician was back change the breaker to 60 still the did the same thing...switched back to the old breaker and it worked overnight...This morning same issue...Any thoughts/comments will be appreciate it....

I’m having similar problem or I think I am...New to Tesla just had the car for less than 3 week...Home charger is generation 3....now I have a flashing 1 green light when it’s on standby...when I go to charge it...no issues...it will start charging and then within 30 sec I will hear a click and the wall charger will be out of lights and stop charging....it has a 50amp breaker...the electrician was back change the breaker to 60 still the did the same thing...switched back to the old breaker and it worked overnight...This morning same issue...Any thoughts/comments will be appreciate it....
Also the light stay off for about 10-15 mins and then comes back to its baseline flashing green light...updated with new firmware already

Also the light stay off for about 10-15 mins and then comes back to its baseline flashing green light...updated with new firmware already

What’s showing on the charge info screen in the car whilst this is going on? Look at voltage and what amps the charge point is offering and what amps the car is choosing to take. Anything out of the ordinary?

I managed to get an older model s to try and charge, nothing happened, so Andersen have sent out new internals, just waiting on an engineer to come and swap over.

Hopefully this resolves the issue, it currently seems to be a fight between UMC and sentry mode to who will win the battery battle.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Adopado