Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can install it today by downloading it from APKMirror. You'll also need to install the APKMirror Installer app from the Google App Store (or presumably know how to sideload an app; I used the APKMirror Installer), and adjust your permissions to permit installing apps from third-party sources. (My phone brought up the relevant screen when I tried to install the app.) I don't like doing this sort of thing for security reasons, so I did it on a backup phone, not my main phone.

Reactions: karbomusic
You can install it today by downloading it from APKMirror. You'll also need to install the APKMirror Installer app from the Google App Store (or presumably know how to sideload an app; I used the APKMirror Installer), and adjust your permissions to permit installing apps from third-party sources. (My phone brought up the relevant screen when I tried to install the app.) I don't like doing this sort of thing for security reasons, so I did it on a backup phone, not my main phone.
I have the same concern you do but unfortunately my backup phone is my work phone and this installer would be frowned up so I'll wait to see my scores. Just checked and the updated Android version is not available.

I read that updates of existing apps on the Google Play can usually get released within hours.
Is it too much to expect a tech company like Tesla to get this done before they release the Button? Better yet why isn't it available in the car?

before I sideloaded, I just used a spare iOS device in the house and installed 4.1.0 from the app store. for those who don't want to sideload, this will tie you over until the Play store makes it available for you.

I lean toward this being a Google problem. Tesla does NOT do rolling releases on the iOS side. There's no reason they would be inconsistent on the Android side. A rolling release is an option for the app developer. So there's a possibility Tesla is electing this on the Android side. But given that it's not just Tesla's app that's sometimes late, I think Google is doing something on their end to slow the distribution of apps. This is speculation, but trying to make an educated guess.

I held down on the app on the phone and when it displayed a pop-up for app info, I tapped that, then advanced features then version. That brought up the update option so selected it and it went to the Play Store and did the update. I had been trying it that way before but it had just become available a couple of days ago for me.