Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android vs Apple Phone door open delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well hell. Over 18,000 miles and almost one year of ownership and after replying to this thread I could not get in my car for the first time ever. I had to unlock it in the app! Anyhow I restarted my iphone and now it’s working correctly.
I’ll never reply to one of these threads again.:)

I'm noticing for the first time in 8 months of Model 3 ownership, I have to push the door handle twice to open door. First time will wake up the car and extend the side mirrors, but it requires another push on the door handle to open it. It happened right after the update to 2019.28.3.1. It happens randomly. I re-booted the car and the phone and also turned bluetooth on/off. Also, the first time after the Tesla update I had to use my app to open the door, but it never happened again.

I'm still using an iPhone 6s and it unlocks immediately for me, like, 95% of the time (doesn't matter if phone is in pocket or not). The other 5% of the time there is a second delay (sometimes two seconds)
Same phone for me, same results.

After hearing some people saying there are a few bugs in the latest Tesla iPhone app, I haven't updated to it. Still on the previous version with zero issues. If it ain't broke... ;)

Some observations and hypotheses I've seen on this subject:
  • iPhones are generally regarded as more reliable as keys than Android devices; however, I've not seen this quantified in any way, and there are enough unique devices in both categories (but especially Android phones) that there can be unique issues for particular models. Also....
  • Android 9 ("Pie") is often regarded as more reliable than Android 8.x ("Oreo") and earlier. I've seen this myself; my OnePlus 5t's reliability improved after I upgraded from Android 8.1 to Android 9. (It later got a bit worse, though, so maybe my initial observation of an improvement reflected luck; or maybe something else was causing it to degrade over time.)
  • Android devices, in particular, vary a lot in design, and there seem to be model-specific quirks, with some devices working better than others.
  • Some people have suggested that completely un-pairing the phone (both as a normal Bluetooth device and as a key), telling the phone to forget the car and telling the car to forget the phone, and then re-pairing the devices and reconfiguring the phone as a key can work around problems that crop up over time. I have such limited experience that I can't vouch for this procedure, but it's worth trying if you're having problems.
  • As others have suggested, physical proximity and objects (including your own body) between yourself and the car can affect phone-as-key functionality.
  • I've observed that I sometimes need to turn on the phone's display before the car's door will unlock. Just pressing the power button while the phone is still in its case normally does the trick. (OTOH, maybe it's just being slow, and there's no causal connection between powering up the display and the door unlocking.)

I have a Samsung S9 and this has made me crazy, but I figured it out. I haven't googled this yet, but it goes into some kind of low-power mode in your pocket. But it doesn't kick in right away which is what had me confused. Like if I had put my phone in my pocket a couple minutes prior, I could walk right into the car. Other times, I'd approach and (I thought) I'd have to unlock my phone to get it working.

Turns out that just pulling the phone out of my pocket is enough to wake it to work. 100% of the time I approach my car, I just remove my phone from my pocket. It's actually really lame, but it is a consistent experience now. I can actually approach the car, take the phone out of my pocket, and then put it back to open the door, so long as I open the door within a few seconds of putting my phone back in my pocket...