TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Angle for solar roof ?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by ElectricTundra, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ElectricTundra

Safe assumption that the ideal angle for Tesla roof is the same as standard panels? So for south facing then Lat * .76 + 3.1 for a starting point for ideal roof slope? Tiles won't lay flat though so add a bit of extra slope to correct for that? 5°?

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

It makes very little difference, actually. Not worth worrying about or trying to correct for. I have a fixed array that is NOT on a roof, and every year I think about re-working the support structure to make it adjustable for the seasonal change in sun angle. Every year I do the calculations and decide it isn't worth it.

Maybe next year...

• Informative x 1
  3. swaltner

swaltner Member

Yes, the optimal angle should be the same between Tesla Solar Roof and standard solar panels. It would be something to discuss with your architect/builder if you are in the planning stage for a new house, but as #BerTX said, it's probably best to be ignored for a house that already has the roof structure installed.

4. ElectricTundra

I'd think the louvre grids would make angle a much bigger issue.

5. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

I guess I would be more concerned as to whether the Tesla solution is worth the much higher price (long break even point) and has as good of efficiency as tried and proven modules on the market for years. I'd love to see some efficiency numbers and watts per square meter. I don't think I would ever buy into something that new and unproven. That's just me.

6. miimura

miimura Active Member

IMHO, the W/m^2 doesn't matter. What matters is the cost of the comparable roof with solar panels vs. the total cost of the solar roof with the same production as the solar panels. Then you can decide if the cosmetics justify any cost difference. In my case, people can't even see my roof from the street, so cosmetics don't matter.

• Like x 1
  7. ElectricTundra

@FlyF4, generally yes, but for us the extra cost is somewhat minimal since we're building a new house so its the diff between whatever we'd have normally used and the Tesla product. Based on what we know so far the Tesla product looks like a good, though agree it's slightly risky, option for us.

My wife has also stated that we'll get solar panels on our roof when she dies or infinity, whichever comes first. She really dislikes how they look.

• Informative x 1
  8. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

yes agree. Many companies will specify the watts per sq meter with cost to make comparison easier. For me, the wattage per sq meter did matter because I had limited space and wanted a particular size system.