Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoyance: Rearwindow heater is *always* turned off when you leave the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ramonneke

Apr 26, 2018
Rotterdam
Rearwindow heater is *always* turned off when you leave the car. If I turn on the rearwindow heaters which will also turn on the mirror heaters and I exit the car they immediately turn off even if you selected to keep HVAC on.

This is very annoying!

For example, I enter the car, turn on the heaters and exit the car because I want to disconnect the charger or need to (un)load the trunk/frunk. It will *always* turns the heaters off.

I would rather see that the heaters turn off only after a timeout. Especially if you explicitly selected "Keep HVAC on".

Am I the only one?

If you switch on the HVAC remotely via the app, then the window heaters come on automatically if it's cold enough at the time. They do in my Model X anyway. I presume the same happens if you select the option to keep HVAC on when leaving your car, but I'm not sure about that.

If you switch on the HVAC remotely via the app, then the window heaters come on automatically if it's cold enough at the time. They do in my Model X anyway. I presume the same happens if you select the option to keep HVAC on when leaving your car, but I'm not sure about that.
I don't know about newer cars, but in my '15 MS it seems completely random. There are times where I don't need it at all and it comes on, and there are times where it would be greatly beneficial and it doesn't come on. It hasn't seemed dependent on temperature or humidity.

If you switch on the HVAC remotely via the app, then the window heaters come on automatically if it's cold enough at the time

Well, if you thought about turning it on remote. Still, you cannot remotely force to turn on heaters as you say it depends on the temperature. My mirrors are currently with +8 degrees Celsius almost always foggy. I think I've only see the heaters/defrosters turned on when it actually is freezing.